Gameport Joystick support in Dosbox

msc

Spaceman
Having dug out an old copy of Privateer 2 I ran into a problem last night.

Aeons ago I purchased a lovely F16 Combat Stick (and I swear, they don't make joysticks like this anymore) - which of course comes equipped with a gameport jack.

Now, I've learned that Dosbox quite happily supports USB joysticks - but I haven't found anything to suggest that it does not support the gameport devices.
Anyone who can shed some light on this subject?

I suppose that I could just go out and get a gameport to USB converter - alas, when I tried I was informed that the shop didn't stock them anymore. And getting something like that off the net will take at least a week... :rolleyes:

Currently I'm hoping that I can make the P2 win95 patch work for me and circumvent the issue in that manner...

Still I'd like to know if I could use my gameport joystick with dosbox for when I reinstall the original WC for a trip down memory lane later. (First proper computer game I played, and I played it a lot!!!)

Windows - and dosbox - should have no problem detecting gameport joysticks. My old gravis two button works just fine.

That's comforting news.

Anyway, the win95 version of P2 has sorted the issue and made Dosbox unnecessary. Unfortunately the game seems to hang after I've talked to the first guy on Janus... Joystick works fine though.

Back