Game 3 Comment Thread

Ironduke

Spaceman
I thought I'd put this thread online since Pip and QuailPilot have "revived" this dogfight. Also note that I ignore turn limits for 2-player games - it's up to you if you want to play "quick and dirty" or at a slower pace.

Turn 8

Pip, that's gotta be your lucky day...!
The Epee navigated an asteroid at full speed without taking damage. At the same time, QuailPilot performed a successful Immelman turn - and he's probably wishing now it had failed. His maneuver brought his Drakhri right into Pip's sights. There's even more: Pip can fire one of his DF missiles at QuailPilot, since he's only 2 hexes away. (Granted, the Drakhri could easily outmaneuver that one by afterburning away. Although afterburning through an asteroid field could get a wee bit challenging...)
QuailPilot, I'm sure your hrai is praying for you right now. ;)

Just call me Lucky Pip...

I expected to fly through the rocks no damage, but I sure didn't anticipate coming up on QP like that! I was hoping to come out in a good position to swing onto QP's tail next turn...

Now this phase all revolves around one single question: Will the Drakhri take evasive action, risking a deadly collision with an asteroid (and forfeiting the next Movement Phase), or will its pilot stay on course and risk an equally deadly impact with the Confed DF missile? Stay tuned for the answer!

Hint for QuailPilot: Despite the famous Han Solo quote, I'm telling you the odds now. The DF missile needs a 8+ to hit you - 32 damage points and certain death. If you choose to afterburn to safety, you'll almost certainly hit an asteroid (Target Roll 13+ to evade, so you'll need a 12). If you hit an asteroid at full afterburner speed, it will do 60 to 120 points of damage. Which would, again, mean certain death. I'd call it a checkmate, but you're probably better off if you stay in place. And remember: I never said anything... *mysteriously disappears* ;)

Man, looking at the odds, and how that totally wasn't what I expected -- well, on the one hand, I think of Maniac's story about the two destroyers he "maneuvered into each other."

On the other, I think of Chuck Yeager, who said, "I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Edit: Still, knowing my luck, QP's going to make his roll, whatever it is. :p

Hunt Journal Recording 2471

This is Quail Hrai Pilot.

I found the Terran in a out of the way asteroid field, and I according to the Pilot Hrai tradition, decided to engage him in single combat.

(Describes the battle in detail)

I did a Karga's Retribution (Immelman Turn FYI) and I am surprised to the see the Terran waiting for me...He has fired a dumbfire missile. There is no way out that I see.

I fear this is my last transmission;
I pray for Sivar's blessing.

Quail then rips his helmet in half. Looking out of the cockpit he saw the missile coming straight for him. He picked up an idol from top of the console , and closed his eyes.

It is only by a claw's length that the Terran missile shoots past the Drakhri's canopy. The Kilrathi pilot wouldn't notice, though, since he is busy dying a horrible death after tearing his helmet apart in a fighter with no life support system.

- THE END -

:D Nah, just kidding... The DF really missed its target. Do Kilrathi wear panties, by the way? ;)

I guess I am.

Hey Ironduke, I just figured out, I'm going to be gone this weekend (as of...today actually). So can we pause the game till we get back?

Back