FTL: Faster than light

Oggy

Rear Admiral
Alright chaps,

Has anybody else picked this up from steam or good old games? I got it after reading about it in last months PCGamer.

I have been playing this for the past week when I have got a spare half an hour, my word it is difficult, I can't get any further than sector 4, good fun though, I may have to relent and go for easy instead of normal, although from what I have read even easy mode is hard. Its a space exploration game.

its about £6.99 or $9, well worth it in my opinion.

http://www.ftlgame.com/

Worst mistake I have made so far was realising I couldn't jump to the sector exit (it was too far away) and having to battle my way through the enemy fleet to escape!!! won't make that mistake again

Been playing it this week, must have easily spent 20+ hours on it so far. The achievements for the starting ship are a bit unfair, the closest I got to one was having 5 unique aliens and several upgrades short by the end. By comparison, after unlocking the cruiser I got 2 of its achievements on the first go.

Without hijacking this thread, and taking the off-topic further off-topic: Does your handle 'Oggy' in any way have its roots in Cornwall? It's a coloquial word used here to describe the local delicacy - the pasty, originating from the Celtic word 'Hoggen'...

I'm probably miles off, AFAIK I'm the only Cornish wingnut at the CIC :D

Yes it does indeed!
Give that man a cookie for being the first to get the origins of my handle. Its an old rugby nickname inherited because of my love of cornish pasties (back in the old days)

On Topic - I have got the Red-Tailo now, what a difference, I can actually duke it out with the flagship now, I still havent beaten it yet, but I seem to whittle it down a bit further each time.

There is a very handy guide to defeating the boss, spoilers are included. You can find it in this thread on the official FTL forums I found it very useful, as I got fed up of being raped at the end.

The game is fun, I've beaten it with 3 different ships and unlocked a coupe more. On easy mode, all right.

Still chipping away at that damned rebel flagship, almost got it to phase three last time but an unlucky strike blew up my shields then he took me to pieces. Damn, its got that one more go appeal though, was up way later than I meant to be last night. i may have to relent and look at a guide.

Holy Necro thread!
Logged into steam, its been updated!!!
How does it play now? I haven't played FTL for a good six months or so.

Personally I absolutely love it, it is still hard as ever, even harder actually with the extra content on. And then they added a "hard"mode. Which is just crazy. I've unlocked most of the A and B ships and working on C. I love how there are so many options available to you but then there are more options available to your enemy as well. Lord knows how many hours I have sunk into it, but what a great buy for only 10$! It's the first time I actually wanted an ipad just to play ftl on it.

Wow, those new flak cannons blast some don't they!!!
still getting to grips with the new race, their ships seem very fragile!

I have the game, but it's infuriatingly difficult. It got to the point where I decided to dig up a strategy guide to help me out, and while I learned a decent amount, I soon realized that I was doing no better than when I was "flying blind".

You used to be able to farm the Rebel fleet chasing you if you had a sufficiently strong ship, the Rebel Elite ship would drop a single unit of fuel so you could farm indefinitely.
The Advanced Edition addressed this by making it so the Rebel cruisers in the background would start to fire at you with their Anti Ship Battery, so most of the time you would take damage before you could pot the Elite ship and escape (unless you could time your cloak to avoid one salvo, but it wont recharge fast enough to dodge a second). I think you can turn off the Advanced Edition stuff if you want and try farming the rebels.

Back