Freelancer

Originally posted by Tripp
Can you use a joystick on Freelancer if you have one, or is it strictly mouse countroled?

The answer has been posted before. It is 'it is a keyboard and mouse game, because the system was designed that way'. Given that you actually have to INTERACT with the controls onscreen, at least in the fine-control mode... :D

Originally posted by Mystery muppet
But mouse-control is a bit cumbersome... (I've played the demo) It takes a skilled muppet to master FL's dogfights...

Are you saying Ms. Piggy can fly a ship?

The dogfighting would be a lot easier if just one change was made. If W and S worked more like in an FPS, instead of being throttle-up and throttle-down to 0.

Being able to reverse, or simply stop moving by laying off the W-key would be great. Of course, I haven't checked the control options, so maybe you can do it and I just never noticed.

But yeah, if it's not possible to set it up that way, then y'know... I wish it were.

Couldn't agree more with Frosty. At least the S key should take the throttle down all the way into reverse speed if you kept pressing it for long enough. Don't know why they went for a separate key for the reverse function, since the reverse speed can be set (I mean, it's not a on/off reverse toggle, it's more like the negative part of the throttle control's axis - if that makes any sense - which is why I think it should share the increase/decrease throttle keys).

I've only played the demo for like 20 hours so far, but I've already found a LOT of things that bother me about Freelancer, most of them related to the controls, but surprisingly, not to the traditional "Mouse X Joystick" debate. Here's my major complaints:

Some functions require me to move my mouse and click an icon, while every other sim lets me assign hot keys to just about all functions. Why?! These icons clutter the edges of my screen and get in the way whenever I'm tracking an enemy. A hot keyed command doesn't need an icon to be present and can be triggered much faster. I think I should be able to assign hot keys to ALL commands, as well as turn off all the silly "shortcut toolbars" cluttering the edges of my display... but instead I only got an "auto-hide" option, available only for one of these toolbars, which makes the thing even MORE annoying - I mean, IIRC, this is the only toolbar in which all itens can be assigned to hot keys, so why am I still not allowed to turn it off?

What bothers me the most, though, is that there aren't (at least not to my as-of-now VERY limited Freelancer knowledge) any commands for rolling clockwise/counterclockwise, or for strafing up and down. I mean, is there any reason why I can strafe sideways, but not up or down? I can only think of three reasons:
1 - Because that's how FPS's do it
2 - Because systems (or at least the New York system) is entirely placed on a 2D plane (all planets, stations, trade lanes, everything) - the game even has an "auto-level" feature when you get out of mouse flight mode... what's up with that, too? Did they feel like they needed to make their oversimplification of solar systems even more obvious or something? :p
3 - They wanted to "keep it simple" - of course, this begs the question: why didn't they remove the ability to strafe sideways, as well? :D

Okay, that was a long one. I'm done ranting now. I just wish Freelancer had borrowed some more from games like Elite, Privateer, and Hardwar... and I wish its user-friendlyness was more configurable... it's inevitably bound to become annoying after I'm used to the game.

--Eder

The reverse key is so you can go from top speed to reverse really quickly.

Somebody has already disabled the auto-level and has added roll keys.

Originally posted by BadNacho
Somebody has already disabled the auto-level and has added roll keys.

That's great news. Now I just need to strafe up and down and lose the toolbars :)

--Eder

T8etc: Sure, it's easy to learn, but when you aim, you're always steering (making aiming and knowing where you're going a handful). When you let go of Mouse Flight, everyone else steers and you have to re-aim. A most negligible drawback, though. :D I WANT THE DAMN GAME!

This is just a rumour, but some of the people in my dorm may have figured out how to strafe vertically... when your in free-flight and are autopiloting somewhere, the craft slides vertically as well so I imagine its just a matter of finding the right command to bind from console.

Well, you could always try to play I-War 2 without it. It makes you harder to hit, which means you have more time to open all your cans o' whup-ass. Just for reference, of course.

Back