Forum-Based Wing Commander RPG/TBS

Fenris_117

Spaceman
Hello everyone!

I'm the administrator of a small-time chat/RPG board Infinate Realms. Lately in my spare time I've been working on developing a strategy/rpg fanproject based on the Wing Commander series, more specifically based around the Wing Commander III era.

What I'm hoping to achieve is to create a full set of rules to run a game within the Wing Commander universe which I'll be more than happy to post here when their done ^_^.

One thing we need though is some kind of online dice that allows users to roll for certain actions and will post that roll in with their post without allowing the user to alter it (and hence to cheat).

Anyone who wants to be a part of the project or has any suggestions etc. etc. please feel free to contact me.

Strategy huh? Idea I've always wanted to share; Ranks. Let the people that start have high ranks. You will be the Admiral of us all, everyone else will be a low rank 2nd lieutenant and work their way up. If they reach admiral, they get there own carrier, and small fleet. Lets say a pilot dies, well he has to start over (edit that however you want.) If they eject, they wait until the fighting is over, and then they are rescued if at least one wing member makes it back. You will also need to assign people to CAG and 1st lieutenant Wing Commander ans so on.

I hope this helps you.

Strategy huh? Idea I've always wanted to share; Ranks. Let the people that start have high ranks. You will be the Admiral of us all, everyone else will be a low rank 2nd lieutenant and work their way up. If they reach admiral, they get there own carrier, and small fleet.

This is a big problem that amateur RPGs used to run into all the time. Everyone would be Grand Admiral with their fleet of Super Carriers, and the stories they'd spin out would be ridiculous trash. A better idea would be to have *nobody* be the fleet commander. Starting a game and giving yourself all the kickass stuff just makes fellow players bitter. It's not engaging or fair from a gameplay or story perspective.

Well, does the rank idea still sound good? Like the CAG officer and Wing Commander idea? As a second Leutinate you are a wingman.

Well, does the rank idea still sound good? Like the CAG officer and Wing Commander idea? As a second Leutinate you are a wingman.

How many times in Wing Commander I did you fly wingman as a second lieutenant?

I'm not at all saying that people shouldn't second lieutenants either. My point is that the ranks don't really matter. What's important is that you make a character that fits the role you're going for. Maybe someone is the wing commander, but it sounds like people should also be regular pilots and wingmen, and all of these characters are equally important

I just thought of something, it is supposed to be a strategy RPG right? Well, no pilot goes out flying a ship without orders does he? It would need admirals, and only certain people can be admirals. Still, how would you get admirals? That is for the creator to decide not me.

I also know Chris you didn't fly ever as a wingman. So why not give it a shot? I really want to fly with real people on my wing instead of bots wouldn't you?

Aren't there already some forum based Wing Commander RPGs and associated rulebooks floating around (most of them looking derelict). I would suggest checking them out and learning what works and what doesn't, rather than reinventing the wheel again.

On the other hand, while there might not be enough factions in the WC universe to make it work, but a play-by-email version of Diplomacy might be worth exploring?

I'm personally working on a Wing Commander table-top RPG by combining the new Mechwarrior Life Path system (a dice based background building character generation system) with either the Hard Vacuum or d20 Star Wars rules. Hard Vacuum is a game that one of my friends made and tried to have published using percentile dice instead of d20s. I wouldn't know where to start for a forum based game, but for my RPG group of 6-8 my idea will work well.

I agree with Chris, the players all start out as green rookie pilots unless someone buys a level or two of Rank at character generation. Even then, you are still fresh out of the academy, just with a little rank under you.

Also, (if this is created), I'd like a website were you are registered, and you do not have to send it by email, it is automatically sent by the website. Then you wait until you get a reply back that says, "congrats cadet you have been accepted to the academy." or something like that.

I just thought of something, it is supposed to be a strategy RPG right? Well, no pilot goes out flying a ship without orders does he? It would need admirals, and only certain people can be admirals. Still, how would you get admirals?

The trick is that you *don't* need admirals. Many role playing games function well with the players themselves giving direction to themselves and each other.

I also know Chris you didn't fly ever as a wingman. So why not give it a shot? I really want to fly with real people on my wing instead of bots wouldn't you?

Yeah, that's why I suggested it.

Wow, no one else has ANY ideas for this game?

Lots of people do, and they already run their own Wing Commander RPGs. There have been a great many run by WC fans, and a bunch are still active today.

https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6356
https://www.wcnews.com/news/search?body=role+play

Last edited by a moderator:
Back