Flying Through Ships

F

Farborne

Just an idle question, but I just noticed that it's impossible in Standoff to fly into and through ships like you could in WC3/4 (I got bored while I was waiting for what's-his-name to finish briefing me on the Sao Paulo while I was restarting that mission about the 50th time...damn Grikhaths...)

What I mean by that is that it's impossible to fly in one end of the Firekka and out the other, or hide from enemy fighters in the Snakier's landing bay they way you could in WC 3/4.

Is this a function of the Prophecy/SO engine not allowing you to fly inside their capships? Or is it just the way that the collision detection boundaries are set up?

Just an idle question. Given that now you can't actually blow ships up from the inside the way you could in WC3/4 (out of curiosity, did anyone else used to enjoy taking the Lexington down with six quick dumfire hits to her inside before you even launch?), I don't see any tactical reason why you'd want to fly in there in Standoff, and no real reason why the Standoff programmers would want to put any effort into accomplishing that, but it was always something fun to do when I felt like hot-dogging...

Hmmm, I guess you could hide in an enemy carrier/cruiser's launch bay while you wait for your torps to get a lock (the AI fighters never could seem to fly in there) and then autoslide out, turning to maintain the lock and unload a quick torp... Of course, if this was a viable tactic, ship designers would start putting turrets in the launch bay...

In my experience, all of Prophecy's landing bays have been blocked off with shields. In Secret Ops, I turned on the high-quality models and was able to fly inside the shield-like structure surrounding Cerberus' engines. I'd turn off the high-quality models and get kicked away from the ship because the area I had been in was filled in.

Based on that, I'm not sure, because it seemed to be pretty good evidence that the models didn't necessarily have to be convex.

You can fly through some capital ships in Standoff, but not all; you can't fly through the Firekka. Why ? Because WCP's engine uses separate components for launch (launch tubes) and landing (hangar bay)... but since some ships (like the Firekka) have fly-through landing runways, we had to set up the invisible hangar to land at the rear of it, thus blocking the runway (has Vinman said, hangar components are collidable).

Back