Flight physics in current and past space sim games

I think he meant changing the physics in a computer model, to make the game playable and enjoyable. At least I hope he did.

Kris: I don't think he is, unfort.

Dragon: As to what you are even talking about now makes no sense. A black hole sucks in all nearby matter, but as some matter gets compressed so much as it nears the hole sometimes they let out bursts of Gamma rays which is one of several way we can detect (though not truly confirm) the existance of black holes. We have seen gas swirls near stars that wobble as if they had another star nearby but none are visible and release massave amounts of gamma rays, in these cases it it probably a black hole co-orbiting a star. I don't even have an idea why you even brought that up. And please, I usually never get on anyone about spelling but at least proofread your posts a little bit

well sort of, Flying in real space Is quite a chalange I must say and a Computer that help a pilot by not letting the ship go to far so it does not becames unflyable to the pilot is not unbelivable, after all ConFed does not have the time to instruct Pilots in the dificulty of Real Fisics fight.
Starships use jump techology, since the ships operate in star systems going at near light speed would cause dificulty in avoiding space object that would cause major damage (like a comet), so the same system are in ConFed starships to prevent those kind of acidents.
I dont want a Space sim with the fisics of I-War, its very dificult to navigate a ship on that type of fisics, the wing commander is easier and more fun to play.
I have USAF and I cant play that game, the taxi, take offs and landing are a nightmare, because they are to realistic, If they put a realistic model in the game, who will play it?
It would be too hard to play that way, The model use in WC is fine, I hope that it stay the same way.

Dragon: Where in the HECK did you get the idea that I said that realistic physics should be in WC????? Are you even reading the freaking posts??? I have said all along the WC sacrificed realism for fun, which is the correct thing to do. WC ships never approach light speed and so much of space is empty that you don't have to worry about anything but micrometeorites impacting the hull (which I assume Shields would protect against). And USAF I hate to tell you is not the most realistic game by far, try Falcon sometimes. You can get a workout just by lifting its manual.

well I got lost in all of that.
and Yes falcon 4 must have a BIG manual I pick up a Box and almost hit the ground, I belived that they had put a REAL F-16 in there so I did not buy it.

One other thing, i am not one to be correcting spelling but dragon, physics is spelled as Physics not fisics. and beyopnd that nobody is saying that WC should change that much but there are some things that would fit more closely with reality and still be fun like to have Autoslide available on all ships or in some situations have a cap ship out run a fighter thus making you have to get a superior position going into the battle and thus adding in a little bit of Stratagy. thats all

well since the autopilot is there...no point in doing that.
Physics not fisics..got you.(I sould look at the messages to see the right way to type, but I am lazy so I dont)and you really sould not being correcting spelling since you put beyopnd in that.hehehe
It just a joke, no harm done napoleon.

I don't claim to be any physicist, nor have extensive knowledge of the relative 'realness' of various games, but one thing does bother me a little: how might any ship manoeuvre in space if physics are to be 'realistic', yet still be enjoyable in a game. Just recalling from the movie Apollo 13, the spaceship had several thrusters dotted all over it just for manoeuvrability. Yes, I realise 'future' technology will be much more advanced, but I don't see any reason for reality to be a major factor in games. And I have seen the manuals for some of those 'reality' flight sims. Phew! If you can fly the planes in those sorts of games, you might as well enlist in the air force!

Well wedge, a series of thrusters for manuvering as well as engines that can have thrust reversers and finaly there could be thrust vectoring of the main engines to create a manuverable ship.

Originally posted by Wedge009
....I have seen the manuals for some of those 'reality' flight sims. Phew! If you can fly the planes in those sorts of games, you might as well enlist in the air force!

True, some of the sims out there do have cumbersome manuals, tons of flight checklists, communications procedures etc, but just think what the real world pilots have had to go thru. That Capt. flying you on that weekend trip to Hawaii spent at least 5-10 years building up flight hours and experience to become what he is today. Not to different from the way they structure some of the games, where you have to build up your score, develop skills and so forth. I didnt mean to apply full blown real world physics, but maybe some kind of middle ground to add to the experience. I mean, if the game makers put all this effort into the way the game looks, such as realistic textures on craft, bases etc, wouldnt it be better to also add some real world flight physics? Looks arent everything! Besides, whos gonna sit around and admire that cap ships textures when you got 50 enemies shoving missles up ur pipe?! :)

RFBurns

"Killing you will put me in the black, flyboy!" [mercs,Privateer/RF]

I agree whole heartedly, but I like kick a** textures. The graphics are always great but they don't make the game, like the way 9 out of 10 times I will play WCIV instead of WCP

Has Anyone ever played Tachyon: the fringe?
I just loaded the demo of this game up and it seems to provide the happy medium that we are talking about in terms of realism and WC style of flight physics.
This is also a privateer like game which makes it even more interesting.
If Origin can incorporate the slide feature into WC as in Tachyon, the feeling of realism will be there, but it will still be fun too.
Has anyone watched Space Above and Beyond? Flight Physics such as that is what I am looking for. Tachyon has it pretty close. In Space Above and Beyond there is this one episode where the Colonel fights Chiggy von Ritchtofen one on one. The flight physics as well as the skill in that little duel is probably the best I've seen in terms of what should be incorporated into WC. If the Arrow has autoslide, they all should.

Try out Tachyon if you don't already know about it. The flight Physics, while a little different than WC are definitely much more realistic and in my opinion allows you to do many more maneuvers than any arcade space sim.

Any Comments?

Originally posted by JazzMan
...If Origin can incorporate the slide feature into WC as in Tachyon, the feeling of realism will be there, but it will still be fun too.

Try out Tachyon if you don't already know about it. The flight Physics, while a little different than WC are definitely much more realistic and in my opinion allows you to do many more maneuvers than any arcade space sim.

Any Comments?

I believe that the Vampire has autoslide, which reacts with the ships speed, the faster you go, the more it will slide, if you go slow, it doesnt slide as much. In any case, a ship with the slide effect represents more of a real world characteristic compared to a ship that doesnt. It just seems weird to me that something with mass moving along at 600 kps and turn suddenly in any direction would not have some sliding effect. In FS, there is no sliding effect, so the ships seem to act like they are on rails. Who wants to fly on rails?! Might as well go down town and get a ticket for a roller coaster ride. Wonder if the Kats would enjoy that!

RFBurns

"Your'e goin home in a box buddy!" [Blair, WCIV]

One of the things I have always wanted in a space sim was the abililty to not only have superior dogfights and physics that allowed you to delvelope the slide into mastery, but also the abililty of a game engine to allow you to fly into to and out of planets. The closest to this was WCI4 where you would fly towards your destination and an FMV would show you descending to the planet.
My only criticism of any space sim is that "in game" you could fly towards planets all you want and it would not move at all towards you or get bigger. Granted Privateer did let you fly towards planets but they still used FMV or Animated tranistions to land on the planet.
If there was a game that allowed you to fly towards a planet and in real-time-3d allowed you to dip down in its atmosphere or fly amongst the rings of Saturn, and Fly around the planet's surface all without noticeable transitions like in P1 or P2, that would be pretty impressive.
Anybody else got any thoughts on this?

Agreed Jazz, Privateer 2 was the only game where if you flew towards a planet, it actually got larger and you could see the planet rotate if you just parked in orbit. But it too had the FMV upon getting landing clearance. I think that letting the player actually fly thru the planet atmosphere, falling into landing patterns and landing manually would be neat as heck! Then once you land, actually get out of your ship and walk around (an environment like 3d shooters). Go to the bar, ship dealer etc, actually be able to walk around your ship. Lots of interactivity. That would be one killer sim game!

RFBurns

"Traitor to humanity, feel our rath!" [Retros, Privateer/RF]

anyone play frontier elite 2? attempting to land your ship on a planet was suicide. i know it had newtonian physics, but landing a spacecraft wouldnt be easy. rather u lot than me

by the way on frontier 2 you could land on planets, fly around the rings of saturn (probably, i dont remember). in fact you could do pretty much what you wanted

Originally posted by Master_Anarchist
by the way on frontier 2 you could land on planets, fly around the rings of saturn (probably, i dont remember). in fact you could do pretty much what you wanted

Sounds neat! Im used to the take off and landing procedures in MSFSIM 2000 pro, where you file flight plans, communicate with approach and the tower, fall into landing patterns etc. Its neat watching your plane from the GPS window! Ooops, Im getting off subject again! A space sim with these kinds of things would be killer! Maybe thats what Mr. C. Roberts is waiting for, computer technology that would run a game as complex as this.

RFBurns

"We've accessed your file pirate, you're dead!" [Confed/Insys, Privateer/RF]

Back