Favorite WC novel

roknor

Spaceman
I personally enjoyed End Run the most. In the first part of the book I wished I could command my own corvette instead of flying a fighter.

Next the cake walk raid on that Kilrathi planet, kind of made a guy feel invincible. And on the way to Kilrah it was pretty hard not to hate Capt Big Red Nose. During the battle and retreat from Kilrah I couldn't put the book down (I don't think I went that night and went straight to work when the sun got up).

When the Conordia came to rescue, boy did I feel relieved.

End Run really made the characters and the Tarawa (sp?) come to life. I've read most of the other WC novels; but End Run some how out shines them in my memory.

I think that most people will agree with me, when I say that Fleet Action is the best (End Run is second though). The story in that thing is great, and it has some very good characters.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

I kinda liked Fleet Action and Heart of the Tiger. I kinda would like a book about the time period before WCP or after even.

I agree with you, Earthworm. Fleet Action is pretty kickass, with End Run a close second.

------------------
If i'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Death's Head, yes a novel set during Prophecy would be cool (as long as it has all of the story that was cut out of the game). I also like HOTT a lot, but it's plot is changed (I don't see a reason why the writers would change it) so that makes me take some points away from it's final score (at least it isn't changed as much as TPOF).

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

My favorate novel is False Colors. It has an interesting story. Too bad we won't see it contiued.
frown.gif

------------------
Meson
Fleet Commander Homepage

Wing Commander is not just a game. It's a lifestyle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, AK was suposed two make two sequels to it, but he died so we won't see them.
frown.gif
I liked FC, but I though it was a little boring <<looks for cover as the tomatos start flying>> The first 150 pages were about repairing the Karga and there was only a little fight in there, and IMO that part should have been made shorter. But the rest of the novel was great.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Death's Head, Earthworm: Ack! Don't say things like that. Next thing you know, Cmdr_X will come back out of the woodwork to tell you all about his horrid WCP fanfic with the forty km. long Concordia II with 2000 PTC cannons and other crap that nobody ever wants to hear of...

Dear God, Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

Quarto, don’t even say things like that.

------------------
Gen. Patton

My fav has to be End Run, with FA and FC tied for a close 2nd.

------------------
"It's not my revolution if I can't dance to it!" - Emma Goldman, Anarchist and Feminist

I too like Fleet Action. It had a great story with hate-able characters; such as Sentor Two-Face Moore. Because of him I finally understood why good Confed Officers turn to a life of piracy.

The scary thing about FA is that people like the Sentor DO exist and ARE in power right now!

Um, you got this a little messed up. Moore is a senator from Action Stations, he was pushing for budget cuts from Confed, and wanted to build factorys for new fighters on his homeworld that was on the front lines.

The one in FA was Foreign Minister Jamison IIRC.

------------------
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited February 03, 2000).]

Senator More (one 'o') was the evil democrat in Action Stations. Foreign Minister Jamison was the Kilrathi spy in the government in Fleet Action. The Forstchen-typical witless politicians were President Rhodam and VP Quinson.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

OOPS!!!!
yes you're right, i did bad. me so ashamed.
Fleet Action is about the false truce that lead to Earth being nuked.

It's kind of interesting how William R. Forstchen is able to make a major disastor seem like a victory. In Action Station Confed loses 2/3 of its fleet but I felt victorious by the end of the story.

Yeah. Ever read Lost Regiment? In pretty much every battle, nearly all of the troops are slaughtered, but the bad guys are somehow driven away in a final brave action. Like Grecko and the Marines in Fleet Action planting mines in the Kilrathi dreadnoughts. And Vincent Hawthorne in Rally Cry exploding the dam to drown the aliens.
wink.gif

------------------
If i'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

And for me, End Run and Fleet Action share 1st place (very similar novels by characters and extraordinair battles) and after... HotT. - a little different view of WC3 game.

------------------
Mikhail "Black Joker" Babloyan

http://www.aura.ru/wcinrussia

Back