Faith in WC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFraix

Vice Admiral
Guys.

First of all, I have no intention at all to _offend_ any person's religion or faith.
In fact, I'd want to discuss faith in WCU, as well our own world.

FACT: There is not a single tribe in this planet which does not believe in a stronger force or great Spirit or spirits. Example: The Hebrews believe in The Supreme GOD, the Arabians believe in desert spirits as well of ALLAH, the followers of Jesus Christ in the Bible believe in Love, Goodness, Wisdom... which are all aspect of a LOVING GOD. Other tribes believe in a Greater Spirit. Even the Star Wars fans believe in the Force.

PREMISE: The Kilrathi believes and worships Sivar, a God of War.

SECOND PREMISE: They started to believe that Sivar must be constantly pleased by blood and sacrifice of lesser beings such as animal... and then later aliens... and ultimately Humans.

THIRD PREMISE: The Hebrews believed that Jehovah was a God of War, which brought the victories and freedom from slavery in Egypt. But then they were held captive, their temple was destroyed by the Babylonians. While most religions fade away when their temple (or symbol of worship) is shattered, they still believe (till this day) that JEHOVAH exists.
Point relevant in WCU: In the novel 'Action Stations' there was this destroyer, the crew of the TCS Masada and TCS Hermes sacrificed themselves to ram a Kilrathi capital ship. The Hermes was destroyed on the way, but the Masada made it. Seconds before impact, the last comm from the ship was "This is Masada... the Lord is God. the Lord is One!" (p.309)

FOURTH PREMISE: In the novel Price of Freedom, Melek's group of Kilrathi believed that Blair was a savior, a person who has a heart of a Kilrathi but yet, not Kilrathi born. The Kilrathi during the War were corrupted by too much bloodlust and slavery, yet the Priestess of Sivar tried to criticize the Imperial family that Sivar takes no pleasure in human blood. Angered by that saying, Thrakath insisted _and_ doctrinated his warriors that Sivar will be pleased by the offering of human blood. Isn't this a form of corruption?

FIFTH PREMISE: Despite statistical odds and advance weaponry... Confed still manage to won the war. The price of victory was heavy: the destruction of the Kilrathi homeworld. Some Kilrathi surrendered and decided to find new ways of living, while others split into clans and lords which tried to rebuild the Kilrathi empire.

MAIN QUESTION: Was our victory over the Kilrathi a fluke, or was it a miracle?

---
"The diffrences between a warrior and a killer, is that that a warrior fights only when provoked. What makes a warrior human, is that he helps those who are in need, no matter who or what they are."

Hm...never though of it being a "miracle" before. I more looked at it as what mankind could do when put in a tough spot. Since I myself don't believe in god, I would say that our destroying Kilrah was luck, skill, and determination. Others may not feel that way.

Interesting...If the Bombing of Kilrah was an Act of God, that explains Christopher Walken in Privateer 2! :)

First off your "Fact" is wrong, have you ever heard of Aethism or Agnostism??? And second No the victory over the kilrathi was niether a fluke or a miracle, it was a piece of technology coupled with overconfidence and stupidity on the part of the kilrathi. The T-Bomb not god destroyed kilrah. Blair through the Cloaker penetrated then used his high piloting abilities to reach target. The Kilrathi only sent 2 fighters at any 1 time after him once he was in the atmosphere. These are the facts that allowed confed to win.

<Sigh>

Hasn't anyone realised that disscussion of religion (especially the possibility of events being caused by a religious being) almost never occurs without ending up as a bunch of flames?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back