Excellent suggestions for Standoff team

Thunderbolt said:
~~~ I don't remember fighting Kramm Deathfang in WC3 but assuming that he is harder for Colonel Blair to kill I guess he realised that he needed to spend a few more hours in the simulator then what he has been before the Battle of Earth

How hard could he have been if you don't remember shooting him down? j/k

"Oh, excuse me, did I step on someone important?"
- Col. Blair

haha well the other night I played the snakier mission on nightmare and all the confed fighters were off dealing with some other kats so I had the honour of having a dog fight with Kramm Deathfang. He actually hit my Rapier with a dumbfire so I guess I should give him some credit. But I still wasted him anyway :)

Dodging missiles

"No . The missile stats (speed, et cetera) are also taken from the original WC2. Besides, I've never had any trouble shaking off missiles, personally" -- Quarto.

On Nightmare difficulty, it's harder to shake missiles in some instances without using up too much afterburn fuel - which is extremely limited.

If you claim to have little trouble shaking off missiles, would you care to give your evasive strategy?

I usually slam on burners and do some wild loops and weaves (I try not to make the ship loop too sharply because it tends to turn on a dime causing a decrease in velocity). With WC3 to Secret Ops, I found that the rear view camera is helpful - something that is gone in Standoff for some reason...

Here's how I've been dodging missiles since WC1 (or maybe 2, can't remember) and it still works:

Turn so that the missile appears in one of the 4 quadrant areas of the radar (front-top, front-right, front-left, or front-bottom) and hit the afterburner. Turn towards the missile as necessary to keep it in this quadrant while keeping at a high rate of speed by holding/tapping the afterburner. At some point, the missile will zip past you. You can tell when this happens because the yellow dot will zip to some other part of your radar screen and appear in the far outer circle area, meaning that it is now somewhere behind your ship. At this point, you can let off the afterburner for a second or two and turn towards the missile's new position until it's in one of the "front" quadrants again. Repeat.

That's the long explaination. This quick one is: turn slightly towards missile, boost out of the way, turn slightly towards missile, boost out of the way, etc. :)

Notice that using this method, you don't have to hold full afterburner at all times. After a few times trying this, you'll get a feel for when you have to tap the afterburner so that the missile zips past you. Really, that's the only time you have to use it... to zip out of the way of the missile. Putting the missile in one of the 4 quadrants on your radar puts the missile perpendicular to your ship's heading, making it more likely that your ship will boost out of the missile's path.

Back in the Wing Commander 2 and Wing Commander: Armada days, I could usually dodge 3 missiles at a time using this method. Hope it helps!

BTW, sorry for the late response to this post. And sorry that this post is kinda/sorta in the wrong place, but I AM replying to another post that posed the question. :) I'm new here, but plan on staying a while. Check the Confed gauntlet score if you don't believe me. :D

jrathek add

could somebody PLEASE add the jrathek in a fan project like standoff or red point?
I feel important that this formidable fighter made an appearance in the story (other than the puny academy or storyless armada). Besides it's counterpart: the wraith, is here so why not?

Also, the jrathek could be flown as well as fighted (in enemy territory missions for example)!

Armada does have a story -- play through the 'Gauntlet' mode, it's full of all the typical WC elements (all the way down to treason, on the Kilrathi side).

could somebody PLEASE add the jrathek in a fan project like standoff or red point?
I feel important that this formidable fighter made an appearance in the story (other than the puny academy or storyless armada). Besides it's counterpart: the wraith, is here so why not?
We don't plan on adding any more fighters to the game. Of course, that's always subject to change if Eder suddenly feels like making a new fighter model, but I wouldn't count on it.

In any case, we've already got more fighters on both sides than any WC game ever did - I'd say that's more than enough. And we don't really even make full use of some of them. So, the Jrathek would be completely wasted in Standoff.

Don't get me wrong, I personally love the Jrathek. It has always been my favourite Armada ship - but we've got so many ships already that we can't just keep adding stuff merely because we like it.

I understand guys, I'm just fustrated not to be able to give a higher tribute to that formidable fighter (a kilrathi ace flying one of those would have been awesome). Perhaps they could add-it in red point though? (I already asked).

But is armada playable on solo? (since I'm not very immerse in multiplayer), say the opponents are computer controlled or something...
It would be great to have a certain plot unraveling as you engage a shiraak carrier with those armada specific fighters (including the jrathek).

Anyway, don't get me wrong, you guys are great (it was already good to "preserve" the wraith). I was just hoping to fight/fly the jrathek in something else than puny academy. If armada is solo player also (and sports a plot), than I will give it a try!

I understand guys, I'm just fustrated not to be able to give a higher tribute to that formidable fighter (a kilrathi ace flying one of those would have been awesome). Perhaps they could add-it in red point though? (I already asked).
Well, it's hard to say about Red Point - it's been quite a long time since we've heard anything from Tango, so it's safe to assume that project is on hold for the time being at least.

But is armada playable on solo? (since I'm not very immerse in multiplayer), say the opponents are computer controlled or something...
It would be great to have a certain plot unraveling as you engage a shiraak carrier with those armada specific fighters (including the jrathek).
Yes, it is, both in the gauntlet mode and the strategy mode. There isn't much in terms of a storyline in the gauntlet mode, all you get is short text briefings before every mission, but it's definitely playable, and it's definitely got more of a storyline than Academy's gauntlet mode. And the strategy mode is even better, IMO - there's no storyline at all, but you get to build your ships and all that, which is neat.

Agree on the gauntlet mode. Kinda disagree on the strategic part. The AI is WAY too dumb in that one to be of real challenge. Its fun every now an then, but too easy (yes, even on the hardest setting, where the PC cheats).

Agree on the gauntlet mode. Kinda disagree on the strategic part. The AI is WAY too dumb in that one to be of real challenge. Its fun every now an then, but too easy (yes, even on the hardest setting, where the PC cheats).

That's why you find someone to play regular Armada against online.:)

That's why you find someone to play regular Armada against online.:)

Waaaait a sec, there's a way to play Armada against people online?! If this is true, I just might have to load up the game again... at least in my neighborhood and against my friends, I was never, ever beaten in that game. That's not saying a whole lot really. :) If there's a way to play it online against some challenging opponents, I'm all for it.

Gaugeyagee

Waaaait a sec, there's a way to play Armada against people online?! If this is true, I just might have to load up the game again... at least in my neighborhood and against my friends, I was never, ever beaten in that game. That's not saying a whole lot really. :) If there's a way to play it online against some challenging opponents, I'm all for it.

Gaugeyagee

https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7001
https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6735

You need dosbox 0.65. Then install armada and do the following:
One player will have to type "ipxnet startserver" in DOSBox. The player types "ipxnet connect IP" with the IP address of the other player in place of IP. Both players start Armadadb, go to Multiplayer and select Net Play. After inputting callsigns, the players should see each other in the username pane. Use the in-game buttons and commands to select your game type and play!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back