Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I DO realize that science is mostly a "working out" of theories. . . . Because I find flaws with Darwin's theory doesn't naturally imply that I believe every aspect of evolution theory are flawed.

Except that originally you were objecting to my point that the theory of evolution doesn’t rise or fall on Darwin’s shoulders alone. Now you agree. Fine.

But no, you certainly haven’t “found” any flaws in Darwin’s theory. You’ve only proposed a challenge to the theory (like Salisbury).

Finally, you have me curious about what “aspects” of evolution you do agree with. In particular, I’m not clear on the extent you believe in speciation. (For instance, do you agree that our species, Homo sapiens, is a product of evolution? Of course, that would also tend to translate into whether you agree that our brain evolved from smaller, less “capable”, brains.)

You said "To be sure, the claims of "irreducible complexity" you point to must come to be addressed by the theory..". This is my point exactly.

Glad to hear it. Except, clearly, that’s not your whole point, or (more to the point) your main point, because you go on to assert once again that “irreducible complexity” is essentially a given, which it isn’t, which is my main point.

As far as proof, scientists don't need to "prove" irreducible complexity, because it's common sense.

Wow, is that ever an interesting assertion. Far be it from me to belittle “common sense”, for all of us in our respective lives unquestionably rely on it “big time”. But your outright boast that it is sufficient for our knowing all there is to know about reality is sheer nonsense. (Hey, my, your, and everyone’s “common sense” is telling us all the time that the sun orbits the earth. That’s what we “see” after all, and also “feel”–that is, we don’t feel constant motion under our feet.)

It used to be common sense that there was no such thing as microscopic life, and when that became “evident”, common sense said that such small and “trivial” life certainly could not be responsible for the illnesses we humans fall prey to. Likewise, the idea of atoms was once taken to be fantasy, and then, when common sense was “readjusted”, it was thought “impossible” that such fundamental units of existence could be “split”. And when that happened, well, surely there was nothing to be found “beyond” electrons, neutrons, and protons, right?

Our “common sense”, by its own terms, is always bounded and includes less than all of reality. As a result, it is always wont to decry further “reductions” and “unifications” of apparent reality. And so on that score, it has proved itself a very, very, very poor guide.

Also, the conclusion seems unavoidable that if you really believe “irreducible complexity” is so obvious and requires no proof, then you must also believe either that the scientific community comprises mostly morons or that the majority of scientists in the world are secretly “conspiring” to overthrow religion or achieve some other dubious goal. Really?

You remove one part and the whole item is useless. Like a bike without wheels, like an eye without connective tissue, like a heart without a brain.

Given your examples, you seem to imply that there’s a one-to-one correspondence between “form” and “function” that remains a fixture over time. But evolution denies that form and function are so neatly and statically married. The problem with your last two examples in this regard is that nature does exhibit other, different, and simpler systems for vision and for “circulation” (of nutrients and waste products). In short, while those functions (or needs) have stood out for long, the forms to accomplish them have varied in many ways. (By the by, as for your “heart and brain”, I take it that you know you’ve overstated it–not all the brain is dedicated to involuntary regulation, so yes, the heart can do without “much” of the brain.)

Your example of the bicycle is my favorite though. Yes, I agree, without wheels the bike stops functioning . . . as a bike. But it still works as a seat! What, take the seat away, you say? Okay, now it’s a fence, a barrier (hindering mobility where once it facilitated it). Come again . . . cut apart all the metal tubing? Fine, canes, clubs, blow guns, or, if reconnected in a different way, a ladder (vertical rather than horizontal mobility).

But I digress. We have more than enough to consider in the way of altered forms and (sometimes subtly) changing functions with just the simple combination of “seat” and “wheels”. That duo has been adapted to satisfy many discrete, if related, needs: wheelchair (the more dominant element here being the chair), tricycle (not with two, but three wheels for great stability, and likewise built close to the ground), bicycle with training wheels (the latter discarded when no longer “needed"), racer with several gears (certainly not for the infirm), motorcycle, automobile (pedals, for one thing, sure have changed ), train (lots of seats and wheels now), plane (wheels take a backseat to wings), and space shuttle (pedals/peanuts?).

Then there’s a clearly related, if odd, “branch” of forms to consider–wheels without the seat. In particular, there’s now the Segway! Will it turn out to be a doomed “Neanderthal” of transportation, or the beginning of the end of legs? Hard to say at this time.:)

WAY OFF! Once again you're showing incorrect reading comprehension. Analogies are great IF you choose one that accurately represents each aspect of the logic behind an argument. Making a half-assed analogy like this gets a conversation nowhere.

Sorry, but it certainly sounds like my analogy hit the mark.

I can do the same: I could say that "your contention is no different from someone's being handed a Rubik's cube for the first time, already twisted about, who then opines without further examination, that it "certainly" could be "reworked" into a simpler configuration where each side consists of only one color merely while operating on the cube's own power (assuming a regular non-computer Rubik's cube) with no "intelligent" help. Where have we gotten? Nowhere.

Due only to your derailed logic. My analogy was about scientific investigation and argument. You’ve suddenly transformed it–and right in the middle!–into a confused analogy about evolution itself. Guess you realized (too late?) that it wouldn’t work to say that our “someone”, especially a scientist, wouldn’t start “experimenting” with the cube, trying to see if it could in fact be reworked (rather than just blindly claiming it could). My analogy stands.

If a virus developes a complex system such as the ones claimed to be "irreducibly complex" out of randomness I will truly be in awe.

A virus is already marvelously developed for what it does. You should be in awe now. But what I want to know is: do you agree that the virus is a product of evolution?

How will a virus develop an eyeball?

No, the more important question is: could it “use” one? I’m not sure I see that it could. (Then again, I shouldn’t presume; I’m not a virus.)

Will it gradually gain rods one by one, then cones? How many years will it be carrying such parts that are ineffective without others? Would this virus reproduce successfully while it carries this strange and useless eye-like growth that's waiting and hoping for other parts to randomly develop so that it can become effective?

Sorry, but the theory does not propose that evolution works like Athena one day “popping up” out of Zeus’ head, fully formed and ready for action. That’s not to suggest, however, that a discrete (or aberrant) form can never become (or be born) “functionless” and “hang around” for a while. The theory posits that it can. But whether it then suffer the fate of “training wheels” (or worse, are debilitating in general) depends on the “need” for, and its present utility for and adaptation to, a new “helpful” function.

So, rods or cones, or something close to them, which get “used” to boot? I daresay certainly not before there’s already a functioning system in place that interacts with light in some fashion.

Well, that must have been one lucky molecule to have atoms chemically arrange themselves (however gradually) into the first DNA "codes"! It would be fascinating to see when the first heartbeat was formed along with the necessary brain tissue, neurons, etc. required to cause and keep it beating. Of course I'm joking.

No kidding?

Any sense of probabilities show that this is impossible to happen randomly given any amount of time.

Is that your “common sense” again? As well as contempt for the scientific community?

Of course I don't suppose you actually believe it happened with unguided, unassisted chemistry.

You’re implying I believe in UFOs?

If anyone thinks there are odds that this could spontaneously happen (however gradually), I know some friends who would love to play poker with you.

You mean your friends believe in cheating? That instead of shuffling and dealing out the cards “blind”–so that the combinations will be spontaneous, with some still naturally “better” or “superior” to others, with unforseen but of course very real consequences for the “fortunes” of the rest of the table–they “stack the deck” and control the hands in order to take advantage of unwitting players?

That’s too bad. Not what poker’s about, is it?

Everything will all become clear to you when the first carp begin waddling onto the shore of beaches and practice taking gulps of air. Right now they're just doing it while in the water and sticking their heads out. Yes that's right. Carp and cockroaches. They will inherit this world and evolution is making them mighty powerful.

Nemesis said:
Sorry, but the theory does not propose that evolution works like Athena one day “popping up” out of Zeus’ head, fully formed and ready for action. That’s not to suggest, however, that a discrete (or aberrant) form can never become (or be born) “functionless” and “hang around” for a while.
<snip>

And in fact it makes even more more sence than that.
Fish Eye Evolution:http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/eye_stages.html

if you really believe “irreducible complexity” is so obvious and requires no proof, then you must also believe either that the scientific community comprises mostly morons or that the majority of scientists in the world are secretly “conspiring” to overthrow religion or achieve some other dubious goal. Really?

'Globally, most Christians are evolutionists and most evolutionists are Christians, and these include some of the best minds in either theology or science. For example, one of the world's most famous paleontologists, Rev. Robert T. Bakker Ph.D. is also a fiery Bible-believing Pentacostal preacher. He is also an outspoken "evolutionist". In his book, Bones, Bibles, and Creation, he explains how mainstream science and what he calls "solid Biblical theology" reconcile. Even if you dont agree with him, the falsehood that evolution is anti-god is observably wrong in every way. '

Ed

Edx said:
thats a joke, right? Sometimes its hard to notice sarcasm...

It's only half a joke. The other half is that I truly do believe that those two species will survive everything that we may not.

I feel guilty about responding to your posts because it has become obvious that I'M HAVING A BATTLE OF WITS WITH AN UNARMED MAN. I hardly know where to begin picking apart your self contradictory and obviously flawed arguments.
Edx said:
Except Creationist discussion forums arent supported by any scientific scources at all.
!!?? Did you actually write that!!?? For 99% of the readers (regardless of their contempt for creationists) I don't even need to go any further. Since it's apparent that obvious statements appear "muddled" to you I feel obligated to explain why your statement is foolish. Here is a link to a creationist discussion forum. I don't recommend posting these types of links here (even though you DO, but ONLY if it isn't in favor of creation.. :rolleyes: ), I posted this to show that creationsists do *GASP!* use scientific sources to support their views: http://discussions.godandscience.org/about305.html. Perhaps I should move on right now to respond to posters with more intelligent and educated statements. I will address some of your other statements to show that I can. Don't expect me to spend much time on your critiques in the future when you quite obviously make unsubstantiated claims and hurl insults with nothing to back them up.

Edx said:
I would also direct you to their "awards" page.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/awards/
Example: "Smithsonian Institution Human Origins Program recommends the Talk.Origins Archive on their links page as having "quality content that can help you in further pursuing your interests in paleoanthropology and related disciplines ... A great site for the interested student. "
That link was good for a laugh! "Cool Site of the Day"... "Dr. Matrix Award" HILARIOUS!!! Who's Dr. Matrix? Is he the same type of doctor as Dr. Phil!? I also got a chuckle seeing his links to UFO sites. These are supposed to lend the site credibility!? The only thing that sounded reputable was the "Smithsonian Institution". Too bad I found out they're Evolutionist Nazis (although "Nazi's" is an exaggeration, it's not too far off)! Check out this sad story of misguided oppression by the Smithsonian at the expense of science: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42600

Edx said:
Well of course they artificially created it as the process cannot take place today naturally since the conditions are very different, but the point is they created the building blocks of life from inanimate (dead) material, that are able to evolve. Creationists often state life from nonlife is impossible, when this is actually observable.
Unfortunately I have to repeat myself. You again made an ass of yourself by saying the same misquote of the experiment. The scientists did not show it was "observable" because they "created" it. By definition, when you "create" something, you are not merely "observing" it. The scientists themselves from this experiment should readily confess that they didn't merely "observe" it. This is simple logic that is not open to debate by rational people.

Edx said:
You ask, "Would this virus reproduce successfully while it carries this strange and useless eye-like growth that's waiting and hoping for other parts to randomly develop so that it can become effective" -- Well no one would ever suggest anything like that would happen to a virus, and this shows you dont understand how evolution works. Gradual incremental steps, not part of an organ that is useless to the creature. If you looked at the Fish Eye link anyone can see see its not any way you like describe.
Regarding the virus, you've once again made an ass of yourself by not comprehending my previous post which responded to this same complaint. I wrote this responding to a post which claimed the behavior of a virus shows that life could form from molecules. You are (probably unwittingly) backing me up when you say "no one would ever suggest anything like that would ever happen to a virus". I also dealt with the "Fish Eye" link in my previous post. You have to tell some people the same thing over and over again before they understand, so here it goes: This is a RIDICULOUS simplification of the complex detail of the eye. The eye cannot be simplified into the 8 changes that this site shows. The eye contains THOUSANDS of different interacting parts that work together. I already posted a site which listed more of the eye's complexity (and that was just the tip of the iceburg), but I will post yet another: http://eyedesignbook.com/

Edx said:
This is the mainstream view, that is supported by peer-review which no Creationist will subject themselves to. They choose to preach to church goers and lay people instead. That says something in itself.

Now I'm starting to feel bad for you, this is like kicking you when you're unconscious. You say that "no creationist will subject themselves to" peer reviews. There are plenty of peer reviewed scientific material by creationists. If you look at the above link, the Smithsonian Institute punished someone for publishing a peer reviewed article supporting intelligent design. This is yet another situation where you have made an ass of yourself. Please don't post again in response to my statements out of interest for my time, for your own good, and for the interest of logical discussion.
Edx said:
And the newsgroup is not the same as the website, the website is an archive. The articles contained were selected. While not as rigorous as peer review they have undergone the scrutiny of the talkorigins group, many of which are scientists have which have also contributed significant portions, and of course the mainsteam scientific community which support the site (see earlier link)
And if you read a little further in your quote you would have read : "Read the primary, reviewed literature before making up your mind on any topic. Most of the archive's essays provide references to primary sources to make it easier for you to do this."
Creationist sites never do this, and cannot link to any peer reviewed literature to support their case since there isnt any.
Believe me, I did read further. It doesn't change the fact that "Visitors to the archive should be aware that essays and FAQs appearing in the archive have generally not undergone a rigorous peer review procedure by scientific experts....this informal procedure is not as demanding as the process a scientist goes through to publish a paper in a scientific journal. It is important to keep this fact in mind when reading the contents of this archive. Because most of the essays have not undergone rigorous peer review, some of them may contain errors or misstatements of fact." Why post these sites where only "many of which are scientists" when you can go to a scientist themselves!? I say this to encourage you to make better posts that challenge me intellecually rather than posting something you believe because the site was listed as winning "Cool Website of the Day" and such nonsense.
Edx said:
If they know what evolution is, this does not reflect in their arguments. Thats the point. Because many of them have signed statements that they will never change their minds, they generally wont do any outside reading so arguments as silly moondust, thermodynamics or using out of date quotes from dead scientists get thrown about so much.
Your first sentence yet again makes an ass of yourself (follow the same logic in the previous "you're making an ass of yourself" clarifications). I don't know of any signed statements, you should reference your claims. I don't doubt that this may be true, I'm just trying to help you sound like less of an ass. Scientists who take an evolutionist stance are pressured to keep that at the risk of losing their jobs. Besides what the Smithsonian Institute did to the man in the above post there are other appalling examples: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-backroom/862413/posts
This next post is a Legal Analysis of the Alabama House Substitute for SB 336. I list relevant excerpts before the link in case you don't want to read the whole thing.
* In 1998 Minnesota high school teacher Rodney LeVake was removed from teaching biology after expressing skepticism about Darwin’s theory. LeVake, who holds a master’s degree in biology, agreed to teach evolution as required in the district’s curriculum, but said he wanted to “accompany that treatment of evolution with an honest look at the difficulties and inconsistencies of the theory.”
* Rogert DeHart, a public high school biology teacher in Washington State, was denied the right to have his students read articles from mainstream science publications that made scientific criticisms of certain pieces of evidence typically offered to support Darwinian theory. One of the forbidden articles was written by noted evolutionist Stephen Jay Gould. Although DeHart complied with this ban, he was later removed from teaching biology.
* In Mississippi, chemistry professor Nancy Bryson was asked by Mississippi University for Women to resign as head of the Division of Science and Mathematics after she gave a lecture to honors students called “Critical Thinking on Evolution.”
There have been numerous similar cases of such persecution throughout the nation. In the..."
http://www.discovery.org/scripts/vi...fic+Research+and+Scholarship+-+Law+and+Policy

Edx said:
There is no contradiction here. If you roll dice the result you get isnt based on pure random chance either. Similarly while chance does play a part in evolution, it is not random. If you had read a little further on that page...
Once again, I wouldn't need to read further (even though I did) because the writer already states that "chance certainly plays a large part". Your statement that "Evolution is not random at all", although you're not alone in this belief, is not necessarily agreed upon by all evolutionists. A belief that it is "not random at all" is a debate for the realm of philosophy rather than science. If it has no randomness whatsoever, that means that everything is determined. If everything is determined there is no chance involved. Chance would merely be a mistaken notion caused by our inability to grasp complex but certain occurences.

Edx said:
On the contrary, I think I have been perfectly civil and I refuse to let it degenrate into that (my end at least)! When I said you were muddled and confused, I have only been stating a fact. Eg, the eye + the confusing way you speak of the scientific method.
Since you feel that calling me "muddled and confused" is not an insult but a fact, I feel that pointing out that you are making yourself out to be AN INCOMPETENT ASS OF GRANDE PROPORTIONS is also not an insult, but a fact. You are confused by something I said, yet you've never logically broken down any of my "muddled" statements and provided proof. If you did I could explain it and show that the confusion was from your poor comprehension. I, on the other hand, have logically broken down your statements and provided conclusive proof that many of your statements are blatantly wrong and others are questionable at best. Once again, please don't post again in response to my statements out of interest for my time, for your own good, and for the interest of logical discussion.

The only thing that sounded reputable was the "Smithsonian Institution". Too bad I found out they're Evolutionist Nazis (although "Nazi's" is an exaggeration, it's not too far off)!

You don't know the half of it -- they've got an ME-109 in their "Air and Space" museum and everything!

(I'm sorry, I know I should do my moderator job and warn you for personal fighting, but the fact that you didn't know what the Smithsonian is was too hilarious to pass up. Seriously, though, clean it up. Also, I thought the ME-109 comment was funnier than invoking Godwin and ending this debate... but someone else should definately do that now.)

I must admit that I've lost the attention span awhile ago to keep following this thread. I'll say this though about the Smithsonian: While there, I purchased this little bag that they let you fill up with polished rocks. I bought this Smithsonian bag of polished rocks for my girlfriend and today I say, "Carrie, you never play with your rocks anymore."

Man, these are some LLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG posts!! I kind of want to get back to commenting on why the Tachyon cannon is "cool", but this topic is interesting, and it looks like Nemesis has done a decent job of breaking down my statements and asking thought provoking questions. Please excuse me Nemesis, but I'm exhausted from a previous LLLOOONNGGG post responding to Edx (I may be giddy and/or not respond to all your concerns).
Nemesis said:
Except that originally you were objecting to my point that the theory of evolution doesn’t rise or fall on Darwin’s shoulders alone. Now you agree. Fine.
I think you misunderstood my stance. I've always believed in a pursuit of the truth and facts of science. I AM convinced of intelligent design, and whether Darwin, another wise scientist, or my grandma is proposing theories- I'm confident that the evidence favors irreducible complexity and intelligent design.

Nemesis said:
But no, you certainly haven’t “found” any flaws in Darwin’s theory. You’ve only proposed a challenge to the theory (like Salisbury).
You probably know that I'm not claiming I "discovered" these things, but rather have seen the evidence others have found and come to a conclusion. While I am confident of my conclusion, others are not- thus the debate. I AM confident that I find (aka have seen sufficient evidence) flaws in evolution. Many scientists in numerous fields of study have come to the same conclusion- neuroscientists being inspired by the complexity and order of the mind, Optometrists being impressed by the eye, psychologists, genetic research, and numerous other areas of science.

Nemesis said:
Finally, you have me curious about what “aspects” of evolution you do agree with. In particular, I’m not clear on the extent you believe in speciation. (For instance, do you agree that our species, Homo sapiens, is a product of evolution? Of course, that would also tend to translate into whether you agree that our brain evolved from smaller, less “capable”, brains.)
Thanks for asking this question (even if it wasn't "finally" ;) ). I'd be happy to elaborate and welcome hearing what you believe. I've always had a hunger for the facts and not settle for something purely on "belief". I went through courses on evolution and evolution related topics during High School and college- listening to any piece of information that held true. If anything, I leaned toward Darwinism, but I was never certain of any position. In truth, I have an open mind about alot of aspects of evolution and am still forming my stance only with significant evidence to back it up. It has become clear to me that "irreducible complexity" DOES exist as well as "intelligent design". Of course I believe it's the God of the Bible, but not from evolution/creation theory (my intellecual confidence lies more from historical evidence than evolution evidence). It seems though that intelligent design by itself would rather leave alot of possibilities open to the agnostic (which is what I was until I was 25- last year). To an agnostic, it could be some living cosmic force (similar to what Einstein believed) or a God of a religion we know on earth. I never had the luxury of believing in "IR" or "ID" until after I was Christian because it's often banned from High School and University courses. I'm fairly confident the theories and evidence would have been thought provoking at the very least. I suppose this should make my beliefs obvious. Do I believe we are a product of evolution? I believe we are a product of the living intelligent God, not simply a chemical/biological process of natural selection picking and choosing chance mutations. Did we start as a more primitive primate- with chemistry this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

Nemesis said:
Glad to hear it. Except, clearly, that’s not your whole point, or (more to the point) your main point, because you go on to assert once again that “irreducible complexity” is essentially a given, which it isn’t, which is my main point.
Actually, my whole point for this debate is that irreducible complexity must be addressed by evolution theory. When you said "To be sure, the claims of irreducible complexity you point to must come to be addressed by the theory..", I assumed by writing "must" you meant they NEED to be addressed by the theory. I feel that when these claims are (in their extreme complexity, not a HEAVILY watered down version) it will cause and is already causing a radical change in how evolution is viewed.

Nemesis said:
Wow, is that ever an interesting assertion. Far be it from me to belittle “common sense”, for all of us in our respective lives unquestionably rely on it “big time”. But your outright boast that it is sufficient for our knowing all there is to know about reality is sheer nonsense. (Hey, my, your, and everyone’s “common sense” is telling us all the time that the sun orbits the earth. That’s what we “see” after all, and also “feel”–that is, we don’t feel constant motion under our feet.)
Once again we have a misunderstanding. When I say "common sense" I mean our rational logic given the evidence. I never boasted that "common sense" is sufficient for our knowing all there is to know about reality. I'll assume I don't need to elaborate on this and that you got a bit worked up there and were speaking from your emotions rather than your logic. None of us (I would hope) believe that the sun orbits the earth. After reviewing the evidence our logic tells us that the earth orbits the sun. This is not currently a topic of debate because our logic tells us the evidence is sufficient.

Nemesis said:
Given your examples, you seem to imply that there’s a one-to-one correspondence between “form” and “function” that remains a fixture over time. But evolution denies that form and function are so neatly and statically married. The problem with your last two examples in this regard is that nature does exhibit other, different, and simpler systems for vision and for “circulation” (of nutrients and waste products). In short, while those functions (or needs) have stood out for long, the forms to accomplish them have varied in many ways. (By the by, as for your “heart and brain”, I take it that you know you’ve overstated it–not all the brain is dedicated to involuntary regulation, so yes, the heart can do without “much” of the brain.)
Your example of the bicycle is my favorite though. Yes, I agree, without wheels the bike stops functioning . . . as a bike. But it still works as a seat! What, take the seat away, you say? Okay, now it’s a fence, a barrier (hindering mobility where once it facilitated it). Come again . . . cut apart all the metal tubing? Fine, canes, clubs, blow guns, or, if reconnected in a different way, a ladder (vertical rather than horizontal mobility).
I'm stating that IC obviously exists in life. If you don't think that there are ANY examples of items that can't function with certain parts missing, take away your brain and see how long your heart beats. Of course you may argue that the heart could still operate as a seat or coaster or some such nonsense, but I think you will have a hard time propogating with a coaster for a heart.

Nemesis said:
Due only to your derailed logic. My analogy was about scientific investigation and argument. You’ve suddenly transformed it–and right in the middle!–into a confused analogy about evolution itself. Guess you realized (too late?) that it wouldn’t work to say that our “someone”, especially a scientist, wouldn’t start “experimenting” with the cube, trying to see if it could in fact be reworked (rather than just blindly claiming it could). My analogy stands.
Of course I thought you were referring to an analogy about evolution itself!! What in the off topic hell were you thinking!!!??? Logic says that your analogy would apply to the creation/evolution debate due to the fact that it is the topic of this thread. No one here by any stretch of the imagination argues that scientific investigation and argument requires a fatalistic "refusal to twist a Rubik's cube". You analogy stands.... as a testement either to your ignorance of the topic at hand or your ignorance of my knowledge of the scientific process.

Referring to a virus and an eye:
Nemesis said:
No, the more important question is: could it “use” one? I’m not sure I see that it could. (Then again, I shouldn’t presume; I’m not a virus.)
If all life developed from a chemical spark that brought a one celled organism to life, could IT use one? Of course evolutionists will argue that it came later. It seems quite a coincidence that photosensitive matter happened to form just in the time the being needed it. Taken by itself it's not probable but possible. Made into an eight step process it can be explained as unprobable, but possible. Made into the complex arrangement of thousands of interacting parts it becomes rediculous, but "possible". Now this is just the eye! Also developing functional matter at the appropriate times are lungs, heart, a nice row of teeth, (the MUCH more complex) brain, skin, DNA, skeletal structure, immune system, etc... all from chance mutations at the appropriate times! Now I'm a Cub fan (they haven't won the world series since 1909) who hopes a new WC game will be released, and even I know these supposed evolution occurances are impossible odds. When I said my friends would love to play poker with people who believed in these odds, I was saying this not suggesting they "cheat" as you guessed, but because a good gambler has an accurate grasp of the odds and loves to play someone who doesn't. The odds of this happening from chance mutations followed by natural selection are so slim that a theory without intelligent design has two hopes: Bob Hope and No Hope
....and Bob Hope's dead :(

Bandit LOAF said:
You don't know the half of it -- they've got an ME-109 in their "Air and Space" museum and everything!
LMAO!!! :D
Bandit LOAF said:
(I'm sorry, I know I should do my moderator job and warn you for personal fighting, but the fact that you didn't know what the Smithsonian is was too hilarious to pass up. Seriously, though, clean it up. Also, I thought the ME-109 comment was funnier than invoking Godwin and ending this debate... but someone else should definately do that now.)
Actually I know what the Smithsonian is- a Fascist/Nazi/Kilrathi/evil place harboring ME-109's in violation of the Versailles Treaty :D

************************END OF DEBATE*****************************

Man, these are some LLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG posts!!

Now if you wanted to argue that the probability is I’ll die before I break 500, I might agree with you.:)

I've always believed in a pursuit of the truth and facts of science. I AM convinced of intelligent design, and whether Darwin, another wise scientist, or my grandma is proposing theories- I'm confident that the evidence favors irreducible complexity and intelligent design. . . .When you said "To be sure, the claims of irreducible complexity you point to must come to be addressed by the theory..", I assumed by writing "must" you meant they NEED to be addressed by the theory. I feel that when these claims are (in their extreme complexity, not a HEAVILY watered down version) it will cause and is already causing a radical change in how evolution is viewed.

If what you’re saying is (and it seems that you are) that while you believe in “intelligent design”, you still want science to continue working out the theory of evolution in order to finally and formally prove or disprove its basic tenets, then I think that’s fine. (I don’t agree with your claim of “already causing”, but that’s a relative quibble.)

It has become clear to me that "irreducible complexity" DOES exist as well as "intelligent design".

I’m not out to criticize what you’ve come to believe, but you do sound like you’re absolutely convinced, and so I’m curious about how you deal with the fact that “others”–ranging from the scientific community proper to many people who claim they (too) have studied all the “evidence”–disagree. Do you ever entertain the possibility you don’t know as much as you should in order to feel as certain as you do? (And before you ask me, yes I do.)

Do I believe we are a product of evolution? I believe we are a product of the living intelligent God, not simply a chemical/biological process of natural selection picking and choosing chance mutations. Did we start as a more primitive primate- with chemistry this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

Well, it sounds to me like you don’t agree with the theory of evolution pretty much in total. Which is fine. But I am led to ask another question, given how–forgive my choice of words if you feel it’s off the mark–impressive and overwhelming you find the complexity of biology–for example, the human eye or brain. Of course, each of us did develop out of a single cell formed by the joining of egg and sperm. More to the point, our complexity arose out of comparative simplicity. It’s also the case that as yet we don’t understand a lot about how that entire process unfolds and accomplishes the end result. So I’m curious, do you believe that’s an entirely material (chemically-and-biologically-driven) process? Or do you believe God “puts his finger in the mix” (so to speak) here too? (Given your comments, I predict you’d say “sometimes”, but what I’m really asking you is “every time?”.)

When I say "common sense" I mean our rational logic given the evidence.

So do I. (Though I admit “rational logic” is a loaded term.)

None of us (I would hope) believe that the sun orbits the earth. After reviewing the evidence our logic tells us that the earth orbits the sun. This is not currently a topic of debate because our logic tells us the evidence is sufficient.

Whose logic, again? Surely by “our” you don’t mean most people. No, our common sense does continue to tell us that the sun orbits the earth along with the other planets. That is how we “see” things. Certainly most of us do believe otherwise, but certainly not because of our “logic”, only because of our “trust” in what our textbooks and teachers have told us. Proving that the earth and the other planets orbit the sun requires some high-powered mathematics, not to mention some lengthy, exhausting, tedious observations, which of course most people haven’t done and wouldn’t care to do.

I'm stating that IC obviously exists in life. If you don't think that there are ANY examples of items that can't function with certain parts missing, take away your brain and see how long your heart beats.

I do want to take you at your word when you say you’ve studied the theory of evolution, but statements like this make it hard. We’re back to Athena again, and that’s not how evolution is claimed to work.

No one here by any stretch of the imagination argues that scientific investigation and argument requires a fatalistic "refusal to twist a Rubik's cube".

Okay, again, if what you’re saying is that science must and should continue its work to determine the truth of the matter concerning the claims of evolution and “irreducible complexity”, then fine, you and I have no disagreement on this point.

It seems quite a coincidence that photosensitive matter happened to form just in the time the being needed it. . . .Also developing functional matter at the appropriate times are lungs, heart, a nice row of teeth, (the MUCH more complex) brain, skin, DNA, skeletal structure, immune system, etc... all from chance mutations at the appropriate times!

No, that’s not what evolution claims; there’s no such thing as an appropriate time as far as evolution is concerned. And again, we’re back to Athena and your apparent inability or unwillingness to consider that the complex biology of today like human eyes and lungs and brains evolved from less developed, relatively less complex antecedents, and that those, in turn, had still less developed, relatively more simple antecedents, and so on and on and on, crossing back over many, many, many events of mutation, adaptation, and speciation.

Also, I’m not sure you understand the difference (by way of example) between someone winning the lottery and the fact that “someone” won.

I must admit that I've lost the attention span awhile ago to keep following this thread. I'll say this though about the Smithsonian: While there, I purchased this little bag that they let you fill up with polished rocks. I bought this Smithsonian bag of polished rocks for my girlfriend and today I say, "Carrie, you never play with your rocks anymore."

Hey, now we know who the guy who buys those rocks is.

Nemesis said:
If what you’re saying is (and it seems that you are) that while you believe in “intelligent design”, you still want science to continue working out the theory of evolution in order to finally and formally prove or disprove its basic tenets, then I think that’s fine. (I don’t agree with your claim of “already causing”, but that’s a relative quibble.)

This is not fine. The scientific method has been ignored here. You[1] have already decided on the outcome, and now you try to manipulate the facts to fit your belief. This is not science. If your hypothesis does not match experimental results/physical evidence, you change the hypothesis, not your results. For exactly this reason, SETI is more reputable than your UFO-ologist (whatever you call them), and Zoologists don't take Cryptozoologists seriously.

In fact Creation organisations know of their shoddy science and published this,
http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/faq/dont_use.asp
a list of arguments that creationists should not use. Some of which have been used here. However their 'explanations' leave much to be desired still.[2]

[1] When I say 'you' I don't mean you personally Nemisis.
[2] There is a funny article in Australian Skeptic Magazine regarding this. They subscribe to the magazine of the Australian Creation organisation for research purposes. The day the "Don't Use List" was published, as a joke, they went through every back issue and cut out the offending material. Almost nothing was left.

Bandit LOAF said:
Also, I thought the ME-109 comment was funnier than invoking Godwin and ending this debate... but someone else should definately do that now.)
Nemesis, I appreciate your response to my post. It seemed oriented more towards logical discussion than unfounded personal attacks (the only reason I attacked someone in a previous post is because they attacked me, I warned them, then they attacked again). I would be interested in continuing the discussion, but Bandit LOAF has suggested we end the debate. As he is the moderator of WC Forum (and I think they've been doing a great job), I am inclined to respect his wishes. If he states we may continue, I will respond to your post. Otherwise, we can continue this on PM. Until further developments, best wishes on breaking 500 posts, and....
***********************END OF DEBATE******************************

I will reply tomorrow. Considering you accusations against me, I should be allowed to respond.

Edx, you were the one who made accustions against me (TWICE before I even began on you), I was the one who responded to them. If you make yet MORE accusatios (which you've already shown to be exaggerated, overreaching, unsupported, sweeping generalizations), it would seem I should respond again and the cycle would continue. Bandit LOAF has asked to end this debate probably because he can see that this is happening. It's just too bad your spiteful, unsupported, misguided attacks had to ruin it for the rest of us. For the third time: "Once again, please don't post again in response to my statements out of interest for my time, for your own good, and for the interest of logical discussion."

This is not fine. The scientific method has been ignored here. You[1] have already decided on the outcome, and now you try to manipulate the facts to fit your belief. This is not science.

Well, generally speaking, this is science, especially what’s been formally called “normal science”, as in the “working out” of a preeminent theory. For example, string theory hasn’t been proven (beyond some very impressive mathematics), yet there are a lot of physicists who would happily admit they believe in and are committed to the theory.

But regarding the particular sentiment I was trying to get across, I’d point to Einstein as an example. He famously disparaged quantum mechanics by claiming that “the old one” does not play dice. But while that belief certainly fueled his skepticism, it didn’t prevent him from thinking critically–his confrontation with Bohr over the theory is legend, and forced Bohr (in some moments of real despair) to further refine his thinking, further strengthening the theory.

(I also apologize for such a long post, but I find no way of significantly cutting it down any further)

Mjr. Whoopass said:
Here is a link to a creationist discussion forum...I posted this to show that creationsists do *GASP!* use scientific sources to support their views:

1. I was responding to how scientifically respected and acknowledged it is, and clearly meant that no Creationist site is supported by any scientific institution. I asked you to give me one *comparable* Creationist site to talkorigins that is supported by ANY peer reviewed scientific source or institution at all. Only then can you compare.

2. I have said, the talkorigins archive is not the newsgroup.

3. Even if you thought I meant "use" scientific sources, the scientific source in question has to actually back up their position. That link you directed me isnt that, or what you say it is. Simply using a scientific source isnt enough, it has to actually back up their point. In that site, it doesn't even follow. I really cant believe that you would honestly compare talkorigins to that shoddy cut and paste job.

you...hurl insults with nothing to back them up.

Stop projecting, show me even one insult I have ever thrown at you. I have replied most politely to your arguments, and at most I have attacked *them* but not you. So show me one insult that apparently warranted this kind of virulent response.

That link was good for a laugh! "Cool Site of the Day"... "Dr. Matrix Award" HILARIOUS!!! Who's Dr. Matrix? Is he the same type of doctor as Dr. Phil!? I also got a chuckle seeing his links to UFO sites. These are supposed to lend the site credibility!? The only thing that sounded reputable was the "Smithsonian Institution".

*sigh*

1. So you must have read down about 2 inches then! The page is called "Awards, Honors, and Favorable Notices" - Above you pointed out the *web awards*. They are located at the top of the page, you found them. Congratulations, but Im afraid you win nothing. You say "the only thing that sounded reputable was the Smithsonian"? Well its clear you only knew of that connection because I gave it as an example. -- If you had the cared to scroll down a even a little before shooting your mouth off you would have found it is also supported by 'Science' (one of the top science journals in the world), Scientific American, The National Academy of Sciences, American Association for the Advancement of Science, The Encyclopedia of Evolution, + The Geological Society of America, and others, and also including various other honors and mentions. Links and details are there, its plain to see. ---- I cant imagine why you would be so dishonest as to misrepresent the site so blatantly so I hesitate in labeling you as such, but I also feel calling you "extraordinarily lazy" would probably be classed as a "personal attack", however in this case I dont think Im out of line in doing so.

2. Not that it matters, as I wasnt referring to those sites, but why laugh at the UFO links on the Dr Matrix page? As you have written it it looks as though he is into the whole UFO scene, so as to somehow discredit the entire site. The reality is his site is actually skeptical of such things. So like the above I cant tell if this was done on purpose, or if you are again too lazy to check.

Too bad I found out they're Evolutionist Nazis (although "Nazi's" is an exaggeration, it's not too far off)! Check out this sad story of misguided oppression by the Smithsonian at the expense of science

So I guess its time for the conspiracy theories.. If his career is in jeopardy it is probably due to the fact that the article he had published wasnt, in fact, scientific. Thats the point. He wasnt doing his job. ID proponents pretend to be some kind of rebels battling the monolithic, rigid, power structure of the so called "evolutionists" with the wicked science institutions that try to push them away into submission. Contrary to their claims IDers are simply Creationists under the guise of being straight-up scientific, and it isnt difficult to tell since their arguments are exactly the same.

ID isnt a scientific theory, thats why it isnt science (to state the obvious). You cant have a scientific theory where there’s no facts to explain, no data to consider, no experiments or measurements that can be made, no supportive evidence whatsoever, and no possible means of falsification. In short, since there’s nothing to show, there’s nothing to know.

The scientists did not show it was "observable" because they "created" it. By definition, when you "create" something, you are not merely "observing" it. The scientists themselves from this experiment should readily confess that they didn't merely "observe" it.

So you are going to say it proves nothing. You miss my point. What the research does establish is that life is a chemical reaction. If the right chemicals get together under the right conditions, you're going to get life. Thanks to their research we know this, and while we still do not know everything we also know a lot more about what kinds of chemicals and conditions that are necessary.

Regarding the virus, <snip>. I wrote this responding to a post which claimed the behavior of a virus shows that life could form from molecules. You are (probably unwittingly) backing me up when you say "no one would ever suggest anything like that would ever happen to a virus".

1. I did not 'back you up' I was referring to what scientists say evolution *actually* is.

2. You may have been responding to someone else, but your sarcastic description of evolution was still wrong, as evolution simply does not propose anything like: "strange and useless eye-like growth that's waiting and hoping for other parts to randomly develop". So like I said before, you are picking at a strawman misrepresentation not the *actual* science.

I also dealt with the "Fish Eye" link...This is a RIDICULOUS simplification... The eye cannot be simplified into the 8 changes that this site shows.

1. I hate to keep saying this, but again you appear you have merely scanned the page at most. Im sure I could have found a detailed site, indeed the page was essential a summary of an entire book if you had checked the reference. At any rate I chose this because it WAS simplistic, to quickly demonstrate these 'intermediate stages' in evolution is nothing like what you describe.

2. It also states at the top that "Each step can be taken gradually, as the sum of hundreds or thousands of little changes" IOW, the "8 stages" werent '8 literal *steps*'.
Here are a couple more sites: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/ridley/a-z/Evolution_of_the_eye.asp + http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/vision.html

You say that "no creationist will subject themselves to" peer reviews. There are plenty of peer reviewed scientific material by creationists.

Thats pretty silly. Your very own link says, "Meyer's piece is the first peer-reviewed article to appear in a technical biology journal". And that was an administration blunder - it was never meant to be there. And before you mention it, ID arguments are Creationist arguments.

Why post these sites where only "many of which are scientists" when you can go to a scientist themselves!?

Credentials usually mean the person is qualified, but groups like the the Flat Earth Society have their fair share of qualified adherents as well. Someone that wins the Nobel prize neednt have a PhD, but the evidence and research must be supported up by the evidence. When it comes down to it its how good the *content* of whatever the research, claims or theory is. You are making the 'Appeal to Authority' fallacy. But nevertheless the archive is recommended by many prestigious science sources (see earlier), and the content is even used by several science textbooks and also several dozen University and College Courses.

I don't know of any signed statements, you should reference your claims.

From the Answers in Genesis "Statement of Faith": "By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the Scriptural record. "
http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/about/faith.asp

So if it contradicts their literal, boxed-up view of the Bible, it must be wrong. They admit they will never change their minds even in the face of the evidence. If this isn't the very antithesis of science, I don't know what is. Real scientists want to find the truth whatever it reveals.

Scientists who take an evolutionist stance are pressured to keep that at the risk of losing their jobs.

I already talked about this: "...Thats how you gain prestige and respect in science btw, which is to start a fight and challenge the dominant theory and accepted way of thinking and if you can, refine it or replace it with one of your own that explains the evidence better. The way someone earns the Nobel prize, I might add, is by finding the flaws in revaluing theories and by proposing something that improves our understanding."

Evolution is one of the most well supported fields in science. Anyone amateur or professional could challenge it any time with actual evidence that could withstand the critical analysis' of peer review. If scientists were required never to question the popular theory or idea like in some kind of plot, how then was Einstein able to revise Newtons theory of Gravity, or how the then very unpopular Big Bang Theory was able to replace the then dominant Steady State theory?

This next post is a Legal Analysis of the Alabama House Substitute for SB 336. I list relevant excerpts before the link in case you don't want to read the whole thing.

Why do you think these people were removed from their position? They are supposed to be teaching science, and if they arent they arent doing their jobs that they are paid to do. Its that simple. I dont know what is implied by the Stephen Jay Gould part, as something he wrote could only support the Creationist position if had been butchered dishonestly - though this has happened many times.

Your statement that "Evolution is not random at all", although you're not alone in this belief, is not necessarily agreed upon by all evolutionists. A belief that it is "not random at all" is a debate for the realm of philosophy rather than science.

I dont see why this is such a hard concept to grasp. Chance and random chance are not exactly the same. I will attempt to simplify it. Example: You have 3 different colored beads (red, yellow, blue) and you put them in an empty jar. You blindly take one out. Is the colour of the bead in your hand based on random chance? No, it can only ever be red, yellow or blue (1in3). So while chance certainly plays a large part in the result, it is clearly not random at all. IE; you will never pull out a green, or pink bead from of the jar.

You are confused by something I said, yet you've never logically broken down any of my "muddled" statements and provided proof.

Hopefully its clear to everyone now that I have done exactly that. Despite your unwarranted accusations I really dont know why you have such hostility towards my comments, as I am committed to keeping calm and civil. I dont see why you cannot do the same.

Again sorry for such a long post.

Ed

I would like to say that it's actually Bf-109. Even though it was made by Messerschmitt, they used to call the planes Bf, because when it was developed the company was still called Bayerische Flugzeugwerke. They changed the name soon after, and the later planes were ME-something.

Concerning Creationism: It only uses cience to DENY claims made by evolutionism, and most of its theoretical support comes from a radical litteral interpretation of the Bible.

Being a former catholic raised in a Catholic school, I see no problems in being christian and evolutionist. :)

Most posts in this thread consisted in scientific arguments pro-evolution that were answered with some pretty heavy falacies. Just to mention "I'M NOT DESCENDANT OF MONKEYS" already disqualifies the person as deeply ignorant of the basics of evolution.

Glad it kept civil so long.

Ok, I've lost track of this argument and I was one of the original posters...

Let me say this and I say it in the most diplomatic sense I can possibly do so, everyone that has posted here has made some very good, sound, logical statements. Unfortunately, it seems to have taken a "personal" feel which is not a good idea if you want to keep friendly relations with everyone on this board. I apologize for helping to start this thread...I should have known what would have happened, the exact same thing happened at the Lancer's reactor three-fours years ago when we discussed the same topic.

Although I truly enjoy your passionate and logical defense (or attacks) on the evolutionist theory, please be careful in the tone of which you make your statements. Don't make it a personal argument...even if the other person is questioning your mental capacity. :) I'll be the first to admit mine is not nearly up to snuff with the Phds and such out there. In fact, I'm probably seriously lagging even within this community...doesn't mean I'm not able to post thoughts to this discussion however.

So, without further pleading, I'll make my next set of questions/ponderings. As I understand it, there are four (4) things required for evolution to work:

1. An open system
2. A source of energy
3. A mechanism to capture energy
4. A mechanism to convert energy into usable energy for doing work.

These absolutely have to be in place for evolution to be remotely possible. My questions on this are:

1. How can a mechanism to capture energy develop?
2. How could lifeless (non-complex) chemicals spontaneously develop into
a complex energy capture system?

Furthermore, as I understand it, these are the major questions/concerns (however you choose to view it) with Evolution:

1. No explanation for why life contains only left-handed amino acids
2. No explanation for how life could start WITH or WITHOUT oxygen in the atmosphere
3. No explanation for how life could start in the oceans (hydrolysis)
4. No explanation for how evolution could occur in harmony with the Second Law of Thermodynamics
5. No explanation for the origin of information.

(BTW, for reference sake I'll include the Second law of Thermodynamics, "The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that everything wears out over time and does not become more complex.")

Please make your answers easy to understand for me as I'm interested in your logic but don't assume I'm a rocket scientist. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back