Episode 4

I did, but only recently and ...
(Spoiler)
... I got chewed out by Commodore Hans Reismann, who wasn't even in any of the winning path movies...
I also didn't tractor in Sparrow, wich also changed a lot of the conversations
(Spoiler)

It's really well done and certainly worth playing!

PopsiclePete said:
... wich brings the question: do people actually play the loosing paths ? ;)
Do you expect use try to lose any single mission just to see where the loosing path is (i think i remeber you have three way, good, medium and bad) how about a small mission tree from the beginning including EP3, since EP4 will take alot time before release?

That'd spoil something we consider to be part of the fun. :p We might do a mission tree once all episodes are out, but even then, we couldn't possibly display all the variants in a concise way.

Oh, by the way, I've updated the website today.

Eder said:
That'd spoil something we consider to be part of the fun. :p We might do a mission tree once all episodes are out, but even then, we couldn't possibly display all the variants in a concise way.

I don't think I agree. I think going back through with a guide in hand after you've completed it once on your own is great fun. Trying to win and lose everything and then wonder if it was different than what you saw the last few times can get pretty old quick. If there's a guide out there, people are still welcome to try and figure everything out on their own and ignore the guide, but a lot of people won't even bother because there's a lot more work involved, and you never know when you'll see something different or if you've gotten to see everything after all. Publishing official mission trees is also a Wing Commander tradition dating back to WC1 (published December 4, 1990). I don't see any reason to hold them back in a situation like this. And if you can't do it in a concise way, do it in an inconcise way.

Comon just the mission tree for EPI-III can't imagin that so hard to do, you have...3(maybe 5 with stories?) outcomes at maximum, put that in a little neat classical Wing Commander Mission tree graphic and post the mission objective condition to enter the different path.

concerning the upcoming large battles we are going to see later this year...what are the numbers you have been playing with for missions? I'm just curious what the potential numbers are. Also, just out of curiousity what is SO's limit on ships in a mission (friendly capships/fighters and enemies).

I can't wait to see your guys Battle of Sirius...

Dundradal said:
concerning the upcoming large battles we are going to see later this year...what are the numbers you have been playing with for missions? I'm just curious what the potential numbers are. Also, just out of curiousity what is SO's limit on ships in a mission (friendly capships/fighters and enemies).
We don't know, we don't know, we don't know :p. There's a lot of different factors involved - for example, a capship has a far greater impact on the game's speed than an ordinary fighter, even if the fighter in question has as many polys as the capship. At the same time, we're not just talking about framerate. To me, framerate is really a secondary issue - the most important problem (...and something we already had trouble with in episode 3) is playability. The more ships you have out there, the harder it becomes to balance the game so that the mission is not only playable and finishable, but also fun.

Quarto said:
The more ships you have out there, the harder it becomes to balance the game so that the mission is not only playable and finishable, but also fun.
What about just having filler ships battling in the background? Then there would be only be a few ships actually influencing the battle.

There is, but there is no command to force the player to ignore a target :p So as long as the player can try to get to those ships in the background we need to have those working and balanced too.

Exactly. You can do some really amazing stuff with AI control commands in WCP... but the player mind-control commands remain as sucky as they always did.

Oh great. Does that mean Standoff will feature Borg Cube vs Hagaka battles?
And borg with fur? Hmm... I guess star trek purists will choke a hairball or two over that one :D

I was never a user of the nav map, i just flew to the nearest bomber and killed it, maybe thats why I lost luyten station in SO so many times( I couldnt stop the stingray

Back