Epic Online Sci-Fi Game Being Announced Tomorrow (September 8, 2014)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Piranha Games is currently counting down to the announcement of their next project. The company is currently best known as the developer behind Mech Warrior Online. After some initial growing pains leading up to MWO's launch, the game has been credited with doing a good job of rejuvenating the classic sim franchise that was idled for a few years. They've created an interesting teaser page with a countdown at AUniverseToExplore.com. INCGamers has reported that typing "I AM HUMAN" in the site's text box will lead to a second page with information from the team's creative director. A pilot registration is already live that will grant players an exclusive item at the game's launch. Sounds pretty interesting! Check back around noon US Pacific Time to see what's up.

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Bryan Ekman, Creative Director and Co-Founder of Piranha Games. 14 years ago I founded Piranha Games with my business partner Russ Bullock to build exciting and engaging games that we love to play. Piranha is best known for our latest endeavor a?? MechWarrior Online, an online free-to-play giant robot combat game. MechWarrior Online's incredibly successful Founder's Program proved that we can work directly with our backers to help build a game for the community.

On Sep 9th, 2014 at 12:00PM PDT we invite you to join us for the reveal of our next project. It's a big one, it's going to be the largest production ever undertaken here at Piranha, and we want YOU to be part of it.

It's epic, it's online, it's sci-fi.

Just below you will find a registration form. Filling out this form will register you for our new game and grant you an exclusive in-game item when the finished product goes live. By registering now, you can also name your Pilot a?? yes that's right, pilot. Ok, no more spoilersa??

I look forward to the future, and our journey to the stars.

Sincerely,

Bryan Ekman
Creative Director/Co-Founder
Piranha Games

--
Original update published on September 8, 2014

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully they've learned something from the PR nightmare that is MWO. For whatever it's strengths and failings are, they somehow alienated their player base. There's several threads over at the RSI forums and the level of vitriol aimed at PGI is astounding. A space ship mmo styled after their MWO model could be interesting, but the way their whole announcement echoes the Star Citizen reveal (entering a passphrase to pre-register) makes me wonder...

As an original Legendary Founder of MechWarrior Online, I highly recommend people think VERY CAREFULLY before giving Pirahna ANY money. I've been in MWO since Closed Beta nearly three years ago, and I can honestly say the whole experience has been pretty terrible from the beginning. The engine itself has promise, but it has not advanced hardly at all since Closed Beta (and in some ways, I think you could argue some things have gotten worse).

The only thing to do in MWO is endless arena combat/capture the flag modes, with no bigger objective or progress that lastsa at all. That means no PvE, no single player (or AI of any kind), no persistent effects (Community Warfare, which is basically a large area-of-control map, has been promised for literally years, with the timeframe continually slipping and its scope seemingly smaller than when first announced - if it happens, it's now a glorified map that shows control, and that's about it). They release a new map every so often, and consistently release new mechs, the best of which (called hero mechs) for significant amounts of real money only, and the most consistent thing on the website are recurring grab deals (including $500 limited edition gold mechs).

They've also routinely mislead customers (or outright lied depending on prespective), badly, badly handled communications with the customer base, become very strict/unforgiving on their forums (which, to their credit, are burning down on a daily basis because of all these things, so I don't doubt it's a challenge), and in general just have not had in any way a good communications base with their customers. They also seem to not respect their founders at all, as the game has progressively shifted focus (introduction of 3PV and simpler control schemes) since the beginning.

Don't take my word for it. Check out the comments for #auniverstoexplore on Twitter or take a look at the massive MWO thread over at RSI - https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/108193/mwo-a-game-discussion ... or check out reddit. Or anywhere, really, and you'll find MANY unsatisfied customers.

I consider myself a fair person, and I loved the heck out of MechWarrior 2 back in the day and was hoping for a similar experience for MWO. I'll also say that there can be some limited fun to be had in MWO, and I enjoyed several months of the beta before realizing it was going nowhere and giving up on it. The base engine isn't bad, but unless you want meaningless arena combat with constantly and wildly changing weapon/mech balance, that's all there is (honestly, Arena Commander already has more to do than a game in development for 3 years+). I get the impression Piranha is just is going for the most minimally viable product (either by choice to go that route and concentrate on cash grabs, or because of lack of resources to get quality development staff). They consistently seem to go the lazy way out and focus on marketing instead of focusing on quality. One example - a space map for MWO has a promo video showing tons of jump jetting action (which makes you think it's probably low-g), but the map itself has normal gravity; it seems they didn't want to bother.

Another game, MechWarrior Tactics, also published by Infinite Games (which just lost MechWarrior Online today as apparently Piranha assumed direct control), went offline during a server move late last month. An update was promised in 72 hours and still hasn't happened (and it's been around two weeks). Many speculate it may be completely dead (and there was a big Founders program for that too, which I also backed for, tho' not as much).

At any rate, this is just my opinion. But I felt it was necessary to warn people. I'm certainly going to watch out of curiosity, but it would take a LOT to get me to give this company another dime, ever.

I'm a backer of Star Citizen and couldn't be more pleased because I see the progress through the great communication, frequent text and video updates, and how far the playable bits have come since the beginning. My experience with Piranha is, if anything, the complete opposite of that. Buyer beware.

Just my two cents based on primarily my own experiences, but also the experiences of others I've read about. I'm never going to tell someone what to do or back, and there's risk in any project. I also normally don't post something as negative as this, but having wasted 100's of dollars on a company that, well let's be frank, that I think is disingenuous at best, I feel strongly about this one.

@sgupta I have to agree with what you said here. I am (was?) a huge Mechwarri0r fan, since I played MW2. I was very disappointed when they shifted the focus from single player campaign to online only. I joined the beta around when they were offering the founder's mechs program and found it a grind which felt even more grindier as the beta went on. I didn't part with the cash, the idea of having to purchase mech bays with real cash really turned me off.

Personally I think they are greedy. They take your cash and give little in return, but it seems to have got them the money anyway - no matter how many unhappy pappy's there are. That's not to say I wouldn't be interested in what they are about to unveil in just over an hours time. I'll just be keeping my wallet close to my chest.

Wow, guess they are greedy. $1 million crowd funding goal, which doesn't include most of the stuff they take about on the front page. The first 3 tier unlocks are ship construction, PvP instances and mining... A mention of a hangar storage expansion slot...pay to unlock ship hangars per chance?
http://transversegame.com/about/funding

@centaurianmudpig, like you, the cash purchases initially threw me off, but at the time my excitement got the best of me. Most of what they advertised to Founders simply never materialized (and now it's clear they're not very focused on MWO at all at this point).

From the looks of things, packages aren't selling. #auniversetoexplore's twitter feed is on fire, the new game forum is on fire, and they had to close comments on their YouTube video (
).

Also, that latter part of that video indicates their big idea is ZERO NPC's, with players doing everything. Maybe it's just me, but...that seems like the WORST POSSIBLE IDEA IMAGINABLE. I just don't believe for a minute there's any possible way to get that to work - too much griefing, too many jobs people don't want, and if not a lot of people are playing that day, ouch... (But then, I've always been a single player/PvE guy.)

Nevermind the fact that it feels like a blatant cash-in on Star Citizen's success, (Minus any single player content), I have a hard time believing nobody sat up at the meeting where they decided the name of this thing and said. "Uh, can you repeat that? We're going to name it what?... Can you say that back to yourself 10 times fast?"

Hopefully they've learned something from the PR nightmare that is MWO. For whatever it's strengths and failings are, they somehow alienated their player base. There's several threads over at the RSI forums and the level of vitriol aimed at PGI is astounding. A space ship mmo styled after their MWO model could be interesting, but the way their whole announcement echoes the Star Citizen reveal (entering a passphrase to pre-register) makes me wonder...

Gads. From the looks of this first day, the alienation is not yet forgiven or forgotten in the least. I had a few looks at their forum activity and it's just pure hellfire in there. Any game forum can be a tough place, and I know that relatively speaking, we've had it good so far in the CIG forums, but the transverse forums are a veritable occupation zone at the moment.

Scary as hell. I'm not setting one foot in there.

Also, that latter part of that video indicates their big idea is ZERO NPC's, with players doing everything. Maybe it's just me, but...that seems like the WORST POSSIBLE IDEA IMAGINABLE. I just don't believe for a minute there's any possible way to get that to work - too much griefing, too many jobs people don't want, and if not a lot of people are playing that day, ouch... (But then, I've always been a single player/PvE guy.)

Yes, it's called Eve Online. Player driven economy, plenty of griefing/ganking, though NPC's exist they are mostly cannon fodder. Really it's just a lazy way to avoid have to code in features they would otherwise have to.

And crowd funding from their own website. While I haven't check to see if they have any legal stuff, I do have questions. How long is the initial funding period? What happens to the cash if the crowd funding fails? Will we still see the game if the crowd fund fails?

Just my two cents based on primarily my own experiences, but also the experiences of others I've read about. I'm never going to tell someone what to do or back, and there's risk in any project. I also normally don't post something as negative as this, but having wasted 100's of dollars on a company that, well let's be frank, that I think is disingenuous at best, I feel strongly about this one.

Both my brother "Maslas" and me consider Sgupta's post as accurate as possible.

Although we have not purchased the Founder packages still we were pretty active during the beta period of MWO even bringing in friends who have never heard of the franchise waiting for the day of the highly expected Community Warfare module. Well let's just say that after the "release" last year we lost both hope and interest.

The game delivered has nothing to do with what was promised and at some point i felt like a donkey chasing a carrot.

Both my brother "Maslas" and me consider Sgupta's post as accurate as possible.

Although we have not purchased the Founder packages still we were pretty active during the beta period of MWO even bringing in friends who have never heard of the franchise waiting for the day of the highly expected Community Warfare module. Well let's just say that after the "release" last year we lost both hope and interest.

The game delivered has nothing to do with what was promised and at some point i felt like a donkey chasing a carrot.

Hell YEAAA!!!

donkey.jpg

@Whiplash, sure have...and yeah... I saw one comment (can't remember where offhand) that it might be placeholder art and the designs may be refined/modified, but...even if that were the case, that's bad taste at best IMO. I really don't know what to say at this point. =oP (Oh, and I did figure out where that image posted by Arisman came from - it's actually included in the game trailer, and indeed "Dart DF" and "Javeline HS" are in the art...)

@Whiplash (Oh, and I did figure out where that image posted by Arisman came from - it's actually included in the game trailer, and indeed "Dart DF" and "Javeline HS" are in the art...)

Unbelievable. Maybe the rumours are true and they really did pitch this to EA as WC Online.

Unbelievable. Maybe the rumours are true and they really did pitch this to EA as WC Online.

They are and thankfully it appears someone over there realized that something just wasn't right.

We owe someone at EA a bottle of booze for saving us from this. Just watching their forums yesterday was incredible. Like Toast said, it looks like an occupation zone. From the name (I don't think I'll ever stop laughing over Transverse and the thread titles it spawned) to the odd funding goals and blatant ripoff of SC, this was just poorly executed all around. I'd expect this from a group of fans maybe putting something together but this is supposed to be a professional company. It looks a very poor hack job.

I feel bad for the low levels guys over there just trying to make a game. That's got to be really depressing to see the reactions.

Last edited:
I feel bad for the low levels guys over there just trying to make a game. That's got to be really depressing to see the reactions.

The must have gotten used to it by now given the amount of negative comments the received the last 2 years for MechWarrior Online

Back