Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Disable Shelton Slide

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hellcatv

Swabbie
Banned
This is a poll asking whether we should enable the autoslide function.
If people remember from wing commander 3, certain ships could shelton slide.
this involved holding down tilde while your ship whisked through space at the exact same velocity using no fuel.

This option is currently enabled in the privateer remake through the use of ~

I find it fun to fly past an enemy, engage tilde, and swing around shootin'
but do you think it detracts from the remake?

this TOTALLY depends on the flight dynamics.

originally priv didn't have this becaus the ships slid around a lot, and you could do slides by jsut afterburning, and then turning really hard.

in wc3 the ships flew on rails, and you wouldn't slide unless you manually triggered it as an 'option'.

IF our ships are on rails, yes to tilde,
ELSE no, make is a maneuver rather than an option.

-scheherazade

This Shelton Slide also allows you to run from enemy's at full afterburn without burning any fuel. I afterburn to full speed, then hold the tilde button and hold my speed without expending any fuel. I can even swing around and shoot at enemy's giving pursuit. I think it detracts from the reality of the game.

To use the autoslide function for the purpose of doing the shelton slide is a very nice feature. If it is abused, then that's another matter. There is no reason to substract features to adhere to the original. Those who don't want to use a function key do not have to and use only the features of the original.

To me, what was good about the original was the gameplay, the trade, the dynamics, the cats, the pirates, the retros, the random missions, the sound of the weapons and the armour being destoryed, the communication screen, the tractor beams, upgrades, the ships, the universe, and the atmosphere. As long as those things are there, then its Privateer. And they are all there.

That's my feeling about most of the features...but I wanted to see what others thought... Personally I rarely use it unless I'm engaging an enemy directly...

using it to run away can be really annoying...if you get bumped by anything (missile, anyone) your speed is likely to change...and you may not be running "away" as much any more depending on where the missile impacts your ship

pnutjam said:
hold my speed without expending any fuel. I can even swing around and shoot at enemy's giving pursuit. I think it detracts from the reality of the game.
Those newtonian physics are so unrealistic :D

Given the logic of the game though (requiring energy for afterburners) it does seem like a bit of a cheat to use it when running.

hellcatv said:
If people remember from wing commander 3, certain ships could shelton slide.
I think this is the key thing here. Some ships can do a Shelton Slide, most can't. I don't know what ships you're putting in that are not in Privateer, but I wouldn't go and assign this property to ships that didn't have it.

well it's utterly preposterous to presume that there was a ship that couldn't shut off its engine set...cus that's all shelton slide is: objects in motion remain in motion and if you go sideways, cut all thrusters, that's where you continue to go unless acted upon by an external force (in this case the imparting of thrust through the release of gas from side thrusters)

we already know that a ship can indeed turn off its thrusters (cruise speed in privateer... you would hang at 500 kps ...and that REQUIRES a lack of force to stay at that speed)

I don't think it's really a *presumption*, since it's explicitly stated in the Wing Commander III documentation that only certain advanced ships are capable of automatically sliding.

I agree the game doesn't allow this... but it's clear that going forward and continuing on your slide right are the same wrt actual newtonian physics...

However, the reason I have this poll is basically "should we slap newton in the face and disallow one operation in some cases that's the same as 'doing nothing'.
Clearly the engine can choose to disable this functionality--and the poll is measuring if people think it should be disabled :)
I honestly don't really care one way or another

Yes for now we can make it a global disable of hte feature since we only have the privateer ships... and we know from experience they didn' thave it...

but so far the majority want to keep it

I voted 'keep'. I prefer as real as possible. That's the one big thing that bugs
me about Vega Strike --you have to *burn* to *move*. That aint' space.

The closest thing to a space simulator "game" I've had the pleasure of running was "Space Combat" by those X-Plane guys. Sadly it's closed source, but at least there's a Linux port.

but that's not the case...Vega Strike is completely newtonian...
when you move...your thrusters are turned off in the game code

you don't expend fuel unless you change velocities...

the Computer AI is what forces you to stay at a given speed and not exceed it...it's like the built in speed limiter in your BMW that limits you to 128 miles per hour (unless you're attracted by gravity and manage to break it that way, going down hill)

the game itself is completely newtonian and you can play normal vegastrike and hit 'y' to turn off noncombat mode (you can even bind the noncombat mode key in privateer remake if you hac the config file)...where 300,000 kps is actually the limit and you just keep accelerating in one direction when you hit tab ;-)

why do you use energy when in afterburn (you don't use fuel, but priv doesn't either) ... that's apparently for shield against all that spacedust or something... LOAF? a convenient explanation please! :)

remember this is a remake of the game...but under the hood Vega Strike just does F=ma

Back