Durango Class

Edfilho said:
I think even 57 is too much for that tiny tiny ship... and we have NO idea if there were any other durango=>carrier conversions.
I don't recall any length stats for the Intrepid... so, unless I'm overlooking something, it's really hard to argue that it's a tiny ship.

We don't know about that, because we don't known what 'in storage' means. Pliers did put the Hellcats into 'storage' as well, but they were not exactaly fit to fly. Maybe, and this is a guess, the Intrepid has lots of stored parts that can be assembled into some fighters if they need, but are not ready to fly immediatly.

The Intrepid was not Tiny, it was a Heavy Destroyer that can defeat a Confed Frigate, Destroyer and a Cruiser in the same mission. It has great anti-capship capacity, at least in the game, but is of course outmatched by the Vesivius. But while the size is small compared with the Supercarrier, it's big enought compared to other Confed ships.

Delance said:
The Intrepid was not Tiny, it was a Heavy Destroyer that can defeat a Confed Frigate, Destroyer and a Cruiser in the same mission. It has great anti-capship capacity, at least in the game, but is of course outmatched by the Vesivius. But while the size is small compared with the Supercarrier, it's big enought compared to other Confed ships.

True, but don't forget that fighters were involved in that battle and although they were used by both sides, fighter combat in the WC universe can be very one sided. In fact if you are refering to an in-game mission, then the fighting was almost certainly done entirely by fighter craft. We still have no indicator of the Intrepid's size or anti-capship capabilities. As far as the unseen pre-game fight with those confed cruisers (the Achilles or something?), that could also have been the work of her fighters, and there she took some heavy damage.

The novelization specifically states that the Intrepid retained its torpedo loadout from when it was a destroyer, through a mental comment by Blair during the chase by the Vesuvius, though no mention is made of how many tubes there were.

Primate said:
True, but don't forget that fighters were involved in that battle and although they were used by both sides, fighter combat in the WC universe can be very one sided.

The Intrepid has two fighters on that mission, and most of the time they are fighting off enemy fighters. The Intrepid can take the Confed capships on its own. Just clear the fighters and order your wingman to form up (don't choose Maniac). It's actually quite nice to see the Intrepid close in and blow the Confed cruiser to bits.

Delance said:
The Intrepid has two fighters on that mission, and most of the time they are fighting off enemy fighters. The Intrepid can take the Confed capships on its own. Just clear the fighters and order your wingman to form up (don't choose Maniac). It's actually quite nice to see the Intrepid close in and blow the Confed cruiser to bits.

That's a good point.
I didn't remember that mission.

I know it was done for gameplay purposes, but I always wondered why, if this was "the hardest mission you'll ever fly" according to Blair's words, shouldn't there be more than two Intrepid fighters launched? It would have been nice to have three wingmen instead of just one.

I think even 57 is too much for that tiny tiny ship... and we have NO idea if there were any other durango=>carrier conversions.

Wasn't the BWS Tango a light carrier conversion as well? That's the ship I plan to be basing my fanfiction on.

Back