Duke Nuke 'em reference in ep. 5?

I was playing a mission in episode 5 today when I heard a pilot from Sierra squadron say:

"I'm gonna rip off your head and crap down your neck!"

Is this an intentional reference to the game "Duke Nuke 'em?"

In all honesty, we don't know. It definitely wasn't an intentional reference on our part. However, the pilot you're referring to is Hawk, a character that appears in WC4 and WCP. So, we didn't record his lines - we took them directly from WCP. You would have to ask someone from Origin, who worked on WCP.

Probably not, 'common' expression. :)

Some guy in Prophecy used a variation of it too.

Edit: Quarto beat me to it.

I have a bigger question here - is the finall cutscene a Pulp Fiction reference?

PULP FICTION:
Butch
"What now"
Marcellus
[babbling what he is going to do to zed]
Butch
"I meant you and me"
Mracellus
"Ah that what now"
"I tell you what now with you and me"
"there is no You and me"

STANDOFF
Sparrow
"so what happens now"
Bradshow
[babbling about the war]
Sparrow
"I meant us"
Bradshow
" there is no us"

No, it isn't. I have never actually seen Pulp Fiction, nor have I read the script, so I did not have it in mind when writing this scene. I'm sure Eder would have seen it, so there may be a Pulp Fiction reference in Standoff somewhere - but if there is, it's not in the text.

It just seemed perfectly natural. Bradshaw has always been a little slow when it came to all that relationship stuff, so naturally, when Sparrow asked about what they would do next, it didn't even occur to him that she was referring to the two of them. Besides, they had just been talking about the battle, so Sparrow's change of subject was just a little bit sudden.

To tell the truth I never actualy thought that was a reference, the change of wording was a bit to big. It just happened that I wached Pulp Fiction the Gazzilionth time the same day I finished Standoff's loosing path and I saw that it is somehow simmilar.

BTW, Q, You really should watch Pulp Fiction, really.

Hehe, I don't think I ever will. I don't particularly love Quentin Tarentino - I can watch his movies when I'm in the right mood, I do find them more or less entertaining overall, and sometimes, there are tiny little scenes in there that I utterly love. But ultimately, they're pretty empty - they're like a junk food meal. Now, I'll eat at McDonalds sometimes, and I do, as a matter of fact, enjoy it - but I won't take my wife there for a fancy date, nor will I be telling other people, "man, you gotta try that Big Mac thing!".

Pulp Fiction has one one problem, though, namely that I've heard way too much about it. It's one of those movies that come up every time someone talks or writes about story structure. So, I know all about the movie, and that just takes away any inclination I might have to see it.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember any Pulp Fiction references in Standoff. We have references to heaps of stuff though, so I could be missing something.

Not a fan of Duke Nuke'em myself, so I don't think we have any references to that either.

Eder said:
We have references to heaps of stuff though, so I could be missing something.

I have to say I was expecting Bradshaw to say something like "If the Firekka leaves Sol and I'm still with you, I'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of my life" in the final scene with Sparrow.

Hehe, now *that* should have happened. Definitely. Too bad we didn't think of it.

(but then again, while there's a lot of Casablanca inspiration throughout, I believe the only overt reference to Casablanca is the one in the Episode 1 intro... which was actually one of the last things I changed in the game, while finishing up Episode 5 - and at that point, it would have been too late to change the Episode 5 endings)

That should be our #1 priority for the Director's Cut version. :p

But yeah, seriously, there's already a bunch of other random film noir references all over the game. Gotta be careful not to overdo it.

Back