dsetup.dll missing PG Gamer WC1 KS Windows 7 64-bit

MSDOS401

Spaceman
Hi, this is my first post so bear with me.
I have just downloaded the PC Gamer WC1 ks from the WC news website. When I unzipped the dl'ed file and atempted to run KSINTL.exe I keep geting a dsetup.DLL missing error. I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

Hey there. If I had to guess, it's because Kilrathi Saga is quite old and designed for Windows 95 as I recall (and probably 32 bit). You could try running it in compatibility mode for Win95, but I'd guess you're going to have a lot of problems.

Is there any particular reason you want to play that version? GOG.com offers all the Wing Commanders fairly cheaply, and they run well on Windows 7 - I'd imagine you'll have a lot more luck than trying to get KS running, let alone a KS demo.

Hello, I run Windows 7 64 bit and have no problem with the Kilrathi Saga games including the WC1 PC gamer release from this very site.

I think your problem is quite straightforward, you don't need to run the KSINTL.exe file. Instead, go to the folder called 'wc1' and run WC1.exe.

Simple as that. You might find that the colours are inverted, if this happens, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, close 'explorer' in the running applications, and ALT+TAB back to the game to find the palette has been fixed.

@sgupta - there are some benefits to playing the Kilrathi Saga version; improved sound effects and the remastered music.

Cool - I stand corrected, and danr certainly knows better than I; I was just speculating based on other Win95 applications I've tried. =) I'm actually really surprised to hear KS works on Win7 64-bit.

Agreed about the benefits - unfortunately when I played it back in the day (I own a copy), it never did work exactly right. I remember getting frustrated after discovering I wasn't seeing all the backgrounds (nebulas, planets, etc.) in Wing Commander I and couldn't find a fix.

Cool - I stand corrected, and danr certainly knows better than I; I was just speculating based on other Win95 applications I've tried. =) I'm actually really surprised to hear KS works on Win7 64-bit.

Agreed about the benefits - unfortunately when I played it back in the day (I own a copy), it never did work exactly right. I remember getting frustrated after discovering I wasn't seeing all the backgrounds (nebulas, planets, etc.) in Wing Commander I and couldn't find a fix.

Yeah, the missing red planet and nebulas certainly detract from the experience, also Kilrathi Saga's iteration of WC1 + Secret Missions has a music bug that occasionally causes the 'all enemies killed' music to get stuck on loop for the rest of the mission :).

Win 7 x64 isn't too bad for older stuff, I've found one or two things not to work, generally anything pre-1996 isn't catered for but we're lucky in that Kilrathi Saga works just fine. Haven't tried DOS Wing Commander on my current setup outside of the GOG release but that's with DOSBox anyway. I actually keep a 386 PC and an Amiga specifically for Wing Commander, as similar as possible to the machines I owned in the 90s. For anything WC3 onwards I just use my Win 7 machine and all is dandy.

The WC1 that can be downloaded from the CIC is actually a full version and not just a demo. It doesn't include the secret missions, but it's still fantastic that it's available here. We were lucky enough for the CIC to get special permission to host it for the site's 10th anniversary a few years ago.

That said, I would agree that everybody should buy Wing Commander from GOG; even if you own the entire series. The point being that the sales send a direct message to the powers that be that there is still a very active interest in Wing Commander and by picking up the games (for very little money) you're supporting the series.

Last edited:
Wow I just now realized the whole missing background images is a known issue, not a bug. But I did download the PC Gamer version of WC1 and it indeed works fine on Win7; learn something new every day.

I think in the aggregate I prefer the background images to the new sounds, but it's kind of cool to have a choice of versions.

Anyways, hopefully the OP got it working, and I learned something new. Thanks!

Back