Dream Machine

a_Shelby_GT_500.jpg

There we GO!! As I said...looks best, IMO, in a medium metallic grey.

Ladies and gents, the Firefox, Cadillac of the stratosphere; it's speed is rivalled only by the thunderbolts in the sky! Oh yeah...

Production-painting1.jpg

dogfight.jpg

Hi,

Now theres a film I haven't seen in ages. The firefox herself was a beaut.

As for the Hellcat/Corvette combo, interesting, but I bet the view out of the sides sucks.

Cheers

The movie was made BEFORE WC, so perhaps the good ol' rapier took a few ideas from the Fox. I don't blame the game people; it's a neat design.

waita minute....... was it the one where the russkies invented a plane that is real fast and is controlled by a neural link? if it is, i have the book

Originally posted by dacis2
waita minute....... was it the one where the russkies invented a plane that is real fast and is controlled by a neural link? if it is, i have the book

Yeah. That would be the one. Chuck Norris had the lead role, iirc, although its been so long that I could be mistaken. And you're not the only one who read the book (read it a couple years before I saw the movie).

Anyone who mixes up Chick Norris and Clint Eastwood needs to be kicked in the nuts repeatedly.

Originally posted by panther

Now theres a film I haven't seen in ages. The firefox herself was a beaut.

The Firefox was an awesome looking design, too bad the tailfins and the canards would have been ripped off the plane as it tries to cross the sound barrier :) .
That book/movie was way ahead of it's time, scientists are just now really beginning to take alot of interest in neural interfaces.

And by the way, how in the hell can you mix up Dirty Harry with Walker, Texas Ranger :) lol .

All right, this is wandering off topic again, so I am going to restate the original intent of this thread: to create your own custom WC ship, be it a light fighter, heavy fighter, fighter/bomber, heavy bomber, or a capship. Let's see your ships, folks!

Originally posted by Viper61
The Firefox was an awesome looking design, too bad the tailfins and the canards would have been ripped off the plane as it tries to cross the sound barrier :) .
I'm sure you have a wonderfully scientific explanation for this, and I'm dying to hear it.

here's my light fighter

the Crapo

speed: warp 0.9
y/p/r: 360 d/s
25m length
5m wide
3m tall
2 hvy plasma guns
6 hardpoints for all missiles

Originally posted by Frosty
I'm sure you have a wonderfully scientific explanation for this, and I'm dying to hear it.

Not really as scientific as you would probably like (sorry to disappoint you) but there is a reason you don't make the tailfins that long, no matter how thin they are, and the angle they make with the line of the plane looks too steep to do Mach 10000 or whatever unGodly speed it reached in the movie :) .

My canards observation is a little more based in reality than the tailfins. Canards are used to give the fighter more manueverability at low speeds by (and someone correct me if I'm wrong, I may be mixing this up with the ?X-27's? forward swept wings) keeping the plane in a constantly unbalanced state. I'll liken it to a tightrope walker rythmically swaying back and forth, constantly correcting himself. THis gives the fighter great manueverability (back to the tight rope walker, how much energy does it take to knock him one way or the other? the answer is not much) but the drawback is that the canards also disrupt the airflow before it gets to the wings. This is great for subsonic flight, because you have already created a pressure differential before the wing gets into the action thereby giving you more lift. Supersonic flight is another story though. (this is where my bad memory could damn me) I believe I remember reading something about the supersonic barrier that if the edge of a wing crosses the barrier, the shock wave propagates down the edge of the wing. If this hapenned with a canard, the resulting shock wave (actually percussion wave) could shear the wings off the plane.

Other than that I don't think the canard is practical above Mach 1. the only instances I can remember are the X-27 (correct me if I'm wrong) and the SAAB Vickers, both subsonic planes.

(I think I just proved myself wrong. I thought of another plane that has a canard that is supersonic, the concord) Oh well, I'll post this anyway, maybe someone else can pick up where I left off- or you can just make fun of me Frosty, whichever you like :).

And by the way, Frosty do you not like my scientific explainations? I detect a note of sarcasm in that post (no, not on this board) :).

Hi,

Canards are usually fitted to delta wing type aircraft to increase agility.

Most of the aircraft that use canards are newer technology and so use use stronger composite materials. The oldest that I can think of were the swiss version of the Mirage 5 and the Israeli Kfir (Both had detachable canards) and possibly the Saab Viggen (can't remember quite how old that is at the moment - 70s?).

Nowadays you have the Dassault Rafale, Saab Gripen, Eurofighter, Su27 mods The F15 has been fitted with canards as a test study and the F16 test study which seems to have had virtually everything tested on it.

Cheers

Back