Dragon Con 2009

obsidian8

Spaceman
Last time I was on the forums was back in '06 and I was all hyped to be able to take part of the group up there but I wasnt able to make it sadly...3 yrs later Im finally gonna be able to make it but it doesnt look like yall gonna be there. When I go up there I will be going as Adm Adama from the new BSG since Ed James Olmos will be there. So if any WC fans are headed that way look me up and I'd love to shoot the shit with yall. Peace :)

Edward James Olmos was at Comicon 2009 here in Calgary. I was going to get his signature, but sadly 50 bones was too much to pay for some ink on a poster. :(

I'm planning on grabbing one of BSG season boxes and have him sign it. Not really sure how all that crap works since this is my very 1st con ~~~ $50 is kinda steep for some ink but I'll prob still do it cause im sucha geek ~~~

My now-ex got Jewel Staite's sig, she was only charging $35.
I picked up a 13 inch die-cast Centurion statue and was SO tempted to get Olmos to sign that. Oh well

And while we're on the topic, I was a little distraught there wasn't a single Wing Commander piece of paraphernalia to be found. Are we really getting that old? :)

I say we plan to make an appearince next year and remind people about wing commander! So say we all! err wait wrong universe ~~~. I think what drew me to Battlestar was the wing commander feel to it. Carriers in space, fighting a hostile force. Though BSG had way too much drama with its pilots, but they did have more sex ;) ~~~

I say we plan to make an appearince next year and remind people about wing commander! So say we all! err wait wrong universe ~~~. I think what drew me to Battlestar was the wing commander feel to it. Carriers in space, fighting a hostile force. Though BSG had way too much drama with its pilots, but they did have more sex ;) ~~~

I think it's exactly that feel that made me a BSG fan as well. In the day and age of everyone playing FPS and MMO's there was something... romantic... about the feel of the dog-fighting.

Hey Loaf, I wasnt really planning on going but when I saw the guest list and saw people from BSG I was consumed by my geekness. I would of love to been able to get a room at one of the host hotels but at such short noticed it was impossible. Found a hotel about 15mins away. Bad part is that the group would have to carpool, adding to the mayham of being in ATL plus at a can PLUS trying to find parking...Im gonna need a week to recover from this I think ~~~. Oh yea so moral of the story is that we have a few slots left(in the rooms) if you still wanna make it.

I can't imagine doing D*C from a hotel 15 minutes away. You really have to live there, and wake up and go to sleep in the con.

Traveling to and from some other place very early and very late every day would be extremely unpleasant.

And oh god you're going to commute to the con in a car?

Now, now, Frosty.

Some people are masochists in a way we couldn't possibly hope to match. We shouldn't make fun of them for their sexual preferences.

(tongue firmly in cheek... my own, thank you :p )

I can't imagine doing D*C from a hotel 15 minutes away. You really have to live there, and wake up and go to sleep in the con.

Traveling to and from some other place very early and very late every day would be extremely unpleasant.

And oh god you're going to commute to the con in a car?

Going to rely on MARTA mainly. And its my own damn fault for doing this last minute. Getting a room @ the hotel would of been ideal, but I'll make the reservations for next year already :D At least I'll be able to attend and thats all that matters to me atm :)

It's very kind of you to offer, but I think I'll sit this one out... and then come back in 2010 better than ever (I know, I'm missing like a million great guests...).

07 was the last year we went, we did the Mythic project in 08. The plan was to go back in 09, but... things fall apart. It is a heck of a lot of fun, though... you get burned out after a few years, but in looking back it's always amazing. I'm very excited about going back.

In regards to the XX chromosome crowd, you (generic "you") should keep in mind a) there are a lot of people with varying degrees of combat training (fairly signficant SCA [Society for Creative Anachronisms] presence, plus LARPers [Live Action Role-Playing] that take things as Serious Business™), b) even "peace bonded" (locked into the scabbard/sheath/etc, basically) weapons can hurt, and c) some people get quite protective of female con-goers, particularly boyfriends or whatnot.

(No, the above is not personal experience, thank you very much. :p )

In short: Don't be an ass, even if they're wearing something that practically screams "BDSM slut" or whatever. If nothing else, it will put you ahead of the mouth-breathers who reinforce all the shitty stereotypes about geeks/nerds/etc being asocial twits that shouldn't be let out of the house without a keeper.

(Hmm, maybe I should add something like the above to one of the stickes in the D*C forum here, maybe along with other behavior suggestions...)

Back