Dos System 101- Guide to getting MsDos 6.22 to run WC1 through WC3/4

Right now I am working on getting an older computer to run wing commander games in native DOS (version 6.22 on my system) for myself I working to get windows 98 also booting on the computer however I have a partition utility available and do not recommend dual boot for the pc novice. I am posting this thread because i did not notice any thread commenting upon what a person should do to get a computer running Dos upto specs for the wing commander series. I have had problems with DosBox and am resorting to this method so that I can get my old wing commander games working without risking my major computer system to possible hard drive driver corruption (as occured when running DosBox on XP 64bit). I will list all drivers and utilities used as addons to the basic Dos 6.22 to get it to run a cd version of wc 1,2, and 3. Privateer and Armada will also be designed to run on this system.

Already ran into a hitch. The slowdown utility released with WC1/2 pack is not compatibile with the amd k6-2 processors or anything newer either. Will look for another solution for wc1 to be playable then.

K6-2? IIRC that one still had options to disable the internal and external cache in the BIOS.
Disabling both=286
Disabling internal=486
Disabling external=586
Works much better then any slowdown utility, but also not exactly for the novice.
BTW - what slowdown are you using? MOSLO?

Actually I have a cd version of wc1/2 combo that came with its own slowdown utility. that one frose dos when it tried to disable the internal cache. I download moslo and am going to try to tweak that one to working once i get around to it.

Note that you should only need it for WC1 and SM1. SM2 and on have a built in manual frame rate limiter you can engage with ALT+ and ALT-

Ah alright. Also. K6-II processor does not have a way to turn off the any part of the cache in the BIOS. I checked a few days ago and nothing is there at all. So this system might be a bust for WC1 at least however I am starting to explore Virtual PC from microsoft and check that system out which might be useful for anyone that has an old copy of DOS or 98 lying around. But i started a job now so my post will be few.

Back