Does anybody have an idea if WCP is WIN2K compatible?

Coalis

Spaceman
There must be someone out there that has managed to get Prophecy running on a Win2000 machine. Has anybody got any good links to sites or know of anybody that has figured out the problems. I really want to play Prophecy again, but I don't want to go back to Win98.

AFAIK WCP does not run on WIN2K (stupid NT architecture... and lack of game support)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Actually, with a change to only several lines of code, WCP runs under Win2k just fine. The reason the shipped executable doesn't work is there are a couple of issues that need to be fixed regarding WCP's memory management and memory initialization that seem to work fine under Win95/98. Without the source code fixed and a recompile of the game, this won't happen.

Now if someone were to accidently 'leak' this binary then everyone would be happy...
<wink><wink>

Aw, who am I kidding... it ain't gonna happen

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

No one said that such a binary exists...

Of course the alternative is to yell at Microsoft to release one of their compatibility patches which fix issues with games. And break others.

Yankin' my chain. Most of the time if there have been binaries or whatever I've managed to get them through the various game sites.

Yes, well, TC was referring to the possibility of a compatibility patch, not to the existence of a WCP patch. Don't worry. If you stay here long enough, you'll learn not to take TC seriously
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess downgrading isn't really the proper term. Moving to any new/old microsoft product is an equally disgusting task.

Yeah. For once, EW's right
tongue.gif
. WC2000 probably isn't very good for the average computer user.

Still, if you don't want to go back to Win98, why don't you wait for Win Millenium to come out? That's supposed to be the latest version of Win95/98.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to remotely manage equipment at my worksite and 98 sucks for it. MMC doesn't work on 98 and I was hoping for a compromise with Win2K. I suppose I can go back and dual boot it but it's annoying to have to do that.

Back