Distances & Time in the WC Universe

X_FIREFALCON

Spaceman
Not sure if this has been asked (if it has, I can't really think on how to do an effective search through the forums on it), but I'm a bit curious about distances and the time it takes to get there in the Wing Commander Universe.

I suppose if we wanted to get technical about it, we could take the data on the speed of various ships, base the approximate time it'd take them to get from Point A to Point B in a given game and determine how that fits into the universe map of Wing Commander, but just in general, this is something that's always nagged at my brain a bit...

In a mission in Wing Commander, the area you need to patrol passes through X number of waypoints tens or hundreds of km apart (or more?), so you set the autopilot, you get the cool little flyby, and you're at the next waypoint a second later. How much time would actually have passed, though? Minutes, hours? Based on this, how long would you expect an average flight patrol mission to take?

As another thing that's been nagging me, it seems that in games, the ship you're stationed on crosses a number of systems in a matter of days. By contrast, in the part of the Wing Commander movie where Tolwyn is bringing up the map to approximate the Kilrathi and Concordia Fleets' time to enter Earth Space, the maps that are brought up are of Vega and Sol, and it seemed like it was going to take each group 1.5-2 days to reach Earth without anything in their way. Does anybody remember (either in the movie or have background information) where the Concordia was at this point? From the maps brought up, it almost seemed like the Concordia was actually IN Sol in the middle of nowhere and had to crawl all the way back to Earth (and again, that would take them nearly 2 days)...but then it's mentioned that they're passing through Jump Points, so they must be outside of it somewhere??

Also, perhaps indirectly related to all the above, part of me is also wondering about the standard pilot rotation schedule aboard ships of war during conflicts in Wing Commander. It seems like the poor main character is doing his flight one second, has to turn around and help rescue the second shift, then is woken up to defend the ship from an enemy attack, then has to lead one of the squadrons assaulting an enemy fleet or enemy starbase the next morning. It seems like most of the games occur during events that transpire over just a week or two, and only a couple of days pass while you're doing your thing in a given system (which tends to amount to more than just 1 or 2 missions), and usually that involves quite a number of different duties like I say...and part of me assumes the games kind of ignore the occasional likely patrols the main character might be flying where absolutely nothing happens. When you consider the time that needs to pass between the waypoints in these missions and factor in the whole time thing...just kind of curious how long these poor guys are expected to stay alert and functional... Does anybody sleep in those 1-2 weeks?? :eek:

Anyway, just some random little oddities that popped up in my head over the years that I never managed to locate answers to elsewhere yet (as always, please correct me if I'm wrong about this)...

In WC1, we're given a rough idea of how much time passes in various missions - for instance, the briefing for Enyo 1 mentions that it's 1500 hours, and the debriefing is mentioned to be taking place at 1700 hours. Thus, we end up with a little under two hours in space (presuming there to be some time between the start of the briefing/takeoff and landing/debriefing).

The same lines which mention the time of the various briefings and debriefings also include mention of the dates (2654.110 for Enyo 1, 2654.111 for Enyo 2, then a couple of weeks pass before McAuliffe 1 on 2654.131). No way of knowing, of course, if what we see is a standard throughout Confed, or just specific to the Claw.

This intrigued me, so I popped in my movie DVD and took a look at this scene

The Concordia battle group is in Sol Sector, not Sol System.
https://www.wcnews.com/maps/sectors/sol.png

The map suggests they are 3 - 4 jumps away from Sol System, whereas the Kilrathi are in Vega and have a direct jump to Sol System via the Charybdis Quasar jump line.

The Concordia battle group has no direct shortcut to Earth and has to make the trip hard travel, and while the Kilrathi fleet is a ways off, they just have to make their way to Charybdis, and then they have a direct jump to Sol System.

I can't infer from the map where exactly the Concordia battle group is, but they are definitely in Earth's backyard -- just not in Sol System itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
keep in mind that jumps seem to be capable of being any distance, it just requires an entry and exit point.. you can jump half way across the galaxy in the same time it takes to jump across system, but only if a jump point is available to exploit in such a way.

The navcom AI was a way for the kilrathi to discover this hidden back door into Sol, it really doesn't matter where the other door was.

In the movie, the Concordia battle group is part of the 14th fleet that is "spread out all over the sector" with the concordia being the 14th fleet flagship with presumably Tolwyn in command of the entire flee, and the nearest ships to sol system were still 42 hours travel from earth. According the the novel The tiger's claw is in the Enyo system to start with.

Space Point

I think the movie has 'Enyo System' on screen when you first see the Tiger's Claw. Charybdis was in the Dakota System.

Ships which are traveling in a straight line can go pretty fast - the Tarawa travels something like 10,000 kps (with an hour to speed up and another to slow down) with her scoops closed... the problematic point is distance, which it's very hard to figure since jump points are entirely fictional. It will still take hours at near light-speed to cross distances in a star system...

keep in mind that jumps seem to be capable of being any distance, it just requires an entry and exit point.. you can jump half way across the galaxy in the same time it takes to jump across system, but only if a jump point is available to exploit in such a way.

There's also a few abnormalities to keep in mind. With Charybdis here, we have a special nexus to many areas. Most jumps we see seem instantaneous, but there are some where a ship can spend minutes/hours traveling inside as well.

The navcom AI was a way for the kilrathi to discover this hidden back door into Sol, it really doesn't matter where the other door was.

Back