Did anyone ever get their hands on the WCP DVD?

I don't think Pedro is talking about distributing the whole game. Just the videos and a patch to get it all working together..

Originally posted by LeHah
Um, no. The personal use is backed by a law that states you can copy software for yourself just in case you lose the original some how.
Right. And if I'm someone that loses things a lot, then I'd need about 19 or 20 copies to cover myself.

Originally posted by Preacher
Right. And if I'm someone that loses things a lot, then I'd need about 19 or 20 copies to cover myself.

The number of copies you make has nothing to do with anything (although the law generally limits it to one). It's when you give them away that it becomes an issue.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The number of copies you make has nothing to do with anything (although the law generally limits it to one). It's when you give them away that it becomes an issue.
Yeah, but if a friend comes over and just happens to (ahem) "borrow" one without telling me and never gives it back...

;)

You mean like when careless people leave money on the table and those nasty dishonest health inspectors run off with it? :p Nope, that's still bribery, and this would still violate piracy laws.

You can't borrow a backup copy, or a original media while the owner keep a backup. The backup is "for personal use only". The brazilian software law allows the same right.

who is a copy-right holder to tell me how to use my own personal perperty. they own the copyright, fine, i can't make money off their property. but once i buy a copy, that copy is mine. i have the right to do with as i chose. these same people forced commercials before movies in theaters, now they wish to do it on dvds, and they give u know option to not watch it. waisting my time. i don't mind previews for other movies, but i do mind when there are half an hour worth of them, and they start when the movie is listed to start. this is getting rediculous. why should i pay to see someone else's commercial or product. i can drive down the street, turn on the tv, get on the internet, read a magazine or newspaper, and still be bombbarded by ads. i know i would be more willing to goto more movies if there were fewer ads, and i will buy dvds as long as there are no ads. and as far as previews on dvds, great, just make them optional views, not required. this is nothing more than a powergrab by the copyright industry, and it need to be squashed. my rights as a citizen out way the rights of a company. as far as the hi-res divx movies, they would be considered a third party upgrade/addon, and while it does contain copy-righted materials, as long as all parties have a legal copy to that material, it is legal. but it is really left to origin, if they care they would try to stop it. but the same standard applies to all the addons that have forums here. they contain the same contents as WCP, and conatin copy-righted software, the game engine/code, and materials from older games. Origin has not acted upon those addons, or even the high-res patch that modifies their copy-righen code, to my knowledge, so why would they make a big deal over divx movies.

Huzzah, we're being crazy.

DATELINE: SECRET EA VOLCANO BASE, SAN MATTEO CALIFORNIA

Evil EA President Jack McEvil: So... we're here to discuss an important issue. Who here thinks we should let people copy games and give them to their friends for free?

Lunix McLunixguy: Hell yes! I love free stuff! Free stuff is about, freedom and stuff! And that's the American way! Also, down with the government! Also, does anyone want to buy a 1982 Taurus Wagon?

Evil EA President Jack McEvil: Also, even though we have nothing to do with making movies or adding commercials to things, should we let people blame us for that, because, hey, it makes us look bad and allows them to rant for no reason?

Lunix McLunixguy: HELL YES! Even if it doesn't make sense at all! Commercials infringe on my constitutional right to own a Tivo! If I could afford one! They should be free!

Evil EA President Jack McEvil: I really shouldn't have invited you to this meeting.

Then... a shark ate them both.

just because i support opensource software doesn't mean i don't also support microsoft and closed software, which i do. the point i was making actually had little to do with EA, and was rather obvious. as far as making fun of linux, u r most likely oblivious to the fact that the opensource software movement is imdependent of linux and windows. but according to the rules im not allowed to get into a philisophical debate over such topics, especially with an admin.

Well, I wrote my final monograph about digital copyright on law school. This whole "forced commercial into DVDs" things is a mess. From a copyright law point of view, yes, they have the right, in theory. But there are other conflicting rights... Several different rights, including the right of property. Objectively, there are in this case 2 kinds of property: the physical property over objects like DVD-Players, Video-Games, and Medias, and the Intellectual Property of the copyright holders. Those rights come in conflict, and neither is absolute. So while the user cannot do as he pleases, neither can the holder limited and determine at his will how the user will access the content.

It's doesn't look like a good idea to send people to jail because they manage to circumvent the DVD code and find a way to press "skip", "fast forward" or "menu" to avoid watching a commercial. Yes, the license can have some limitations on use, but those are no, so to speak, unlimited.

Especially on the US, where the essence of copyright law is, by definition, the right over copies. The concept is that, when you play a DVD, you are copying the digital content to the RAM memory of the DVD player, what would allow the holder to control it. But such concept is way too tenuous to allow such strict legal control.

As a lawyer, I think it's disturbing that legal protection to matter unrelated to copy protection itself are having the same level of legal protection. If you play a Japanese DVD-Game or DVD-Movie on the US, or enable other people to do it, it doesn't sound like reasonable justification for the State to classify you as a criminal and send you to jail. It’s a waste of valuable resources, and an arbitrary measure untypical of democratic and liberal regimes.

Back