Deus Ex 3 announced

Consequently, much of that team went on to create Deus Ex 1, and some of them worked on 2. ;) Now there's even less of them involved on 3.

Not saying that it's going to be terrible, it just seems that games are going that way nowadays - at least, compared to their earlier installments.

Games take longer to make now. There's a lot to put into them, and much of it is visuals and sound. Back in the time of Deus Ex 1, you could get more done in less amount of time. The game was so huge because it was greater than the sum of its parts. The graphics / maps / physics didn't soak up a lot of the development. The emphasis was hard on story, and that's what made it so great.

I don't think it's so much the quality of the substance that is lacking, but the length. Games are so much shorter now - and in terms of Deus Ex (Or hell, Mass Effect) - it's a detractor.

Oh, I agree with you. I'm not saying DX3 will be better than 1... I just think it can be better than 2, especially now that the current gen consoles' hardware won't be a limitation to the game designers. Most of DX2's failures were a consequence of the original Xbox small amount of RAM and low minimum resolution. Now they can actually make large maps and good interface.

Back