Decades Later, A Legend Returns... (January 28, 2020)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The new Star Trek Picard series premiered last week, and the show is chock full of rich continuity. The crew putting it together have spared no detail, and that includes a number of connections with the last TNG movie, Star Trek Nemesis. Among them is that Romulans use a nifty knife with two blades. Star Trek fans have confirmed that this is the legendary Double Shadow knife designed by Gil Hibben in 1991. Wing Commander fans will also recognize it as Seether's iconic and deadly knife from 1996's Wing Commander 4. It's what he uses to threaten Blair on Nephele and also later kill Captain Paulsen.

LOAF profiled the prop in greater depth a couple years ago. It's certainly the go-to sci-fi exotic blade and shows up in a wide variety of productions, but it's cool to see it here too. And if you're not watching Picard, we can't recommend it highly enough! The first episode is streaming now - it's one of the best pilots we've seen in a very long time!

--
Original update published on January 28, 2020

The first episode of "Picard" wasn't particularly good and not particularly bad, but it does suggest potential that can make this series a great story. Very nice.

Huh, I was so focused on the design of the gun when I watched the show I never even really looked at the knife. Damn thing looks like a spaceship model they picked up one day and decided it would look cool as a gun. If anything I'm slightly reminded of a Kamrani when I look at it. I have the distinct memory of thinking the knife looked a little like one of my k-bars at the time but that's it.
The thing I dislike most about Picard is what they did to Starfleet. I thought it was a good show, but I also think it was a pretty crappy Star Trek show. Star Trek always had that core of optimism, and I think that Discovery and Picard are starting to kill that.

The first episode of "Picard" wasn't particularly good and not particularly bad, but it does suggest potential that can make this series a great story. Very nice.

I felt the reverse, I thought it was the best pilot of any Trek show... but it worried me about the direction it might take.

Looks like 2009 Star Trek, moves like 2009 Star Trek, sounds like 2009 Star Trek. To be expected, Star Trek is still in the hands of the people responsible for that, HOWEVER there is Patrick Steward. It is simply a joy to watch this person playing this part.

I liked the grounded nature, the Star Trek "in the sun". I am worried that the story is, again, just a house made of thin cards.
Aka lots of holes in the plot and eventually it collapsed hard under its own weigth.

Tons of fishy stuff in the story's writing, like the oh-so-special-necklace which looks to me like something literally any two people who are in love could wear and the "they come in pairs" because we need a story stuff and the frankly ridiculous dialog scene at the end of the first season.
But, there is Patrick Steward and he is brilliant.

I feel we should move this discussion to a new topic.

Yeah, fancy knife.

Wasn't a fan. To say more would be giving it more credit than its due.

I felt the reverse, I thought it was the best pilot of any Trek show... but it worried me about the direction it might take.
Well, we will talk about it after the end of the first season. The direction it tokes so far is not bad, but l'm still not convinced by story or story telling.

Back