Dead genres and the reason they died

I still play the Xcom games, and I'm in with the others trying for a revival

Trying for a revival? does that mean the new X-com game being developed doesn't count as an X-com game?

No I'm serious, can someone answer this? fans can be deadly.... try telling Deus Ex fans that you enjoyed the Invisible War. *shudder*

Trying for a revival? does that mean the new X-com game being developed doesn't count as an X-com game?

No I'm serious, can someone answer this? fans can be deadly.... try telling Deus Ex fans that you enjoyed the Invisible War. *shudder*

Considering they've been promising us that for years, you'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath. They've cancelled the promised game at least once already

It is an FPS... I think. (It has some strategy element maybe? I'm not sure--the only people talking about it are angry X-COM weirdos.)

The guy who did the original game just did the Ghost Recon launch game for the Nintendo 3DS... which turned out to be a neat X-COM clone!

I think it's a... X-filesesque FPS reboot set in the sixties, for some reason. Probably good in it's own right, though. Apparently, stealing and researching alien stuff is still in, so that should be interesting at least.

Well one of the X-Com games they cancelled, Alliance, was meant to be a FPS game with the research side of things between missions. And they managed to do Interceptor which was flight sim with Research and base management things.

if it actually is the X-files in the 60s it will be absolutely the right direction for the game.. I'd love to see a creepy alien game set in the age of nuclear paranoia.

If they are going with a 60s setting then they'll be rewriting X-COM's history a bit as it was always said to be created in 1999. Unless they're doing it as a reboot and scraping everything from Enemy Unknown through to Apocalypse, which would make things easier I suppose

If they are going with a 60s setting then they'll be rewriting X-COM's history a bit as it was always said to be created in 1999. Unless they're doing it as a reboot and scraping everything from Enemy Unknown through to Apocalypse, which would make things easier I suppose

Unless it is being done as a prequel

Agreed on the 60's thing, even if that means we don't get to do this. :p God, I'd forgotten how awesome that game was.

Anyway, here's the trailer, complete with 'oldschool' gamers embarrassing themselves in the comments section.

Unless it is being done as a prequel

Nah, most likely a reboot. Speaking of X-COM continuity, didn't someone heavily involved with Wing Commander write the UFO Defense novel?

Nah, most likely a reboot. Speaking of X-COM continuity, didn't someone heavily involved with Wing Commander write the UFO Defense novel?

Diane Duane, who also did the Privateer 2 FMV script.

Back