Darwin Awards

DeltaKiller

Spaceman
Well, the subject on "Let's trade War stories" has gone to the most stupid things done in the cockpit, so I figured "What the hell, make a new thread."

For those of you who don't know, the Darwin Awards are awarded to those of us who are so stupid, we convienently remove ourselves from the gene pool, in essence the STUPIDEST death wins (Go here: www.darwinawards.com).

Anyway, here I go, tow of my goodies.

I'm in a Wasp interceptior, going after the bugs, I lock onto one at about 15,000 meters away with my scatter missiles(sp), and fire them, WHILE ON BOOSTER PACK!! Needless to say, the missiles just launched, armed, and my initial velocity was faster than theirs was. BOOM!

The other was just plain dumb. I wasn't looking where I was going. I believe I was checking my systems or something. Anyway, I look up and there is a Cap-ship in my path, and I couldn't swerve out of the way. Result? BOOM!

The moral of these stories are (pleebs, pay attention):
1. Do your Physics homework.
2. Keep your eyes on the road.

Thanks as always,

DeltaKiller

Actually, had you done your physics homework you would have known that it is physically impossible to run into your own missile, because upon launch, it has your momentum + the force of its own engines. Therefore, in the real world a missile will always be faster than the vehicle that launches it.
Of course, WCP is not the real world, and the programmers forgot to consider such minor details as physics.
smile.gif

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually you're wrong Quarto...a missle can most definately fly behind you if you're going too fast...momentum quickly dies as soon as you separate the missle from its rack...and if you're travelling at mach 2, but your missle's top speed is only mach 1...you'd better believe that you'll be passing it VERY shortly....(now this is for air....deep space is slightly different, but the missle will slow down to its given velocity due to particle friction and whatnot...cause as you should know, space really isn't a true vacuum after all!)

Will-
Quarto's right. Friction (wether in the almost noexistent deep space or in atmosphere) is related to surface area. Which has a greater surface area- a dart or a slab-sided WASP? Even if there was a possibility of the missile having more friction, which there isnt, in deepspace this is not going to be noticed for quite a while. There are some ways for this to really happen, but the physics engines of the current breed of computer games (except perhaps IWar) can't handle them. Pity.

------------------
I don't respect your authority BECAUSE YOU HAVE NONE!!!

You've got a point... most of the missiles in WCP are hideously weak... not even able to wax a Dralthi or Moray... although the swarmers he wiped out on will put a hurtin on anything... I still disagree with Will on the missile thingy... where is the atmospheric fighter post? It is an interesting topic, and if he's interested I think i'll resurrect it. BG (please bring back the big Grin)

------------------
I don't respect your authority BECAUSE YOU HAVE NONE!!!

Um, Chernikov, in WC IV, the missiles do a hellava lot of damage. Most missiles in WC IV will kill another fighter. Some take 2 missiles, but other than that, there you go. I understand that the missile is not as powerful in other WCs, but understand that in WC IV it actually IS a powerful weapon.

Yes, that's right. The Staff are all pure evil and will shut down any thread at the first sign of somebody having their own opinion... not.
Kalkrath, we don't mind people saying "please bring the big grin back". What we do mind is when people start organising themselves into stupid FRAG-like factions whose real purpose is not to be constructive, but simply to make a lot of noise. Please don't try to educate others about what to do and what not to do - that is our job, and we'll do it as we see fit.

Back