Darket Hit & Run's and first Bug I've found...

Falcon988

Commodore
Well the first day of Arena is ending gentlemen and I've had quite a great time. I've taken a liking to a nimble and powerful little Darket I unlocked. Fighting in it has got me thinking about what a neat little game this is. I'm sure I frustrate numerous pilots who go against me in that Darket since I basically fly circles and chip away at their shields with missiles and guns until they die, and avoid their gunsights like the plague. But I enjoy it because dangit, that's the way the Darket and Arrow are meant to fight, not the head on attacks the enemy AI was fond of in WC3. Making actual people fight each other is quite entertaining... I can't wait for a few more days to pass by so everyone starts picking their favorite ships and discovering the best tactics. Then we'll have some real brawls.

Anyway, thought I'd point out also that I found an odd little bug. Was fighting a duel, my Darket vs friend's Broadsword (it was interesting) when suddenly my enemy just disappeared off my screen. I could still see him on radar but I could not visually identify his ship. We stopped and he positioned himself right in front of me (according to him) and says he was shooting and hitting me but my ship registered no damage or hits. On the other hand I shot at where he was supposed to be and he says I hit and did damage, but from my perspective my shots went through nothing and disintigrated far away like they always do when you shoot into empty space.

Thought I'd point it out to give everyone a heads up heh.

Hey Falcon, it sounds like that was a synchronization error rather than something specific to the Darket.

And yeah, I was harassed by a whole bunch of little Darket tonight that wouldn't sit still. I can't fly them around like that, but if you can, I can see how they'd be really useful ships. I tend to overshoot and slide in the light fighters, but they're very quick and maneuverable, so that's neat if you can control them.

And it sure is great seeing that Confed Star on everyone's gamercards in this forum!

I can imagine that it works rather well. I went up against somebody in a heavy Broadsword (Warpig I think) and I hadn't unlocked any heavy ships. So all that fire coming my way quickly ended my efforts when I played the straight head-on attack. Only when I took to flying circles around him (luckily he forgot about his turrets!) did I manage to kill him once in a while. He still beat me in a 2-to-1 ratio but my success curve was going upwards.

The bug I encountered was in the Bearpit: my opponent and I could see each other but we couldn't leave the arena (as it is supposed to be) but we couldn't kill each other as well: we pumped gunfire and missiles into each other but took no damage. After 10 minutes, I just left the game.

Hey Falcon, it sounds like that was a synchronization error rather than something specific to the Darket.

And yeah, I was harassed by a whole bunch of little Darket tonight that wouldn't sit still. I can't fly them around like that, but if you can, I can see how they'd be really useful ships. I tend to overshoot and slide in the light fighters, but they're very quick and maneuverable, so that's neat if you can control them.

And it sure is great seeing that Confed Star on everyone's gamercards in this forum!

yeah, I never was much of a light fighter person in the original games but I really like the arena darkets.

You know what else I would like? Being able to customize your fighters. I'm having day dreams of painting my Darket like Fireclaw's and having the words "NO HOPE" printed on the hull. :D

You know what else I would like? Being able to customize your fighters. I'm having day dreams of painting my Darket like Fireclaw's and having the words "NO HOPE" printed on the hull. :D

Problem is you'd hardly ever see it. While I like the looks of the up close view, it really isn't usable in battle as you really do need to see behind yourself at times, especially trying to find powerups or attempting that damn ring game, which whoever gets that achievement first definitely deserves a reward of some kind as the second level is ridiciously hard and I don't want to even imagine the third. Some of us were trying it yesterday without people shooting at each other and it was still pretty damn hard.

I've been using the "behind the ship" view exclusively. I actually prefer it quite a bit, I use my radar to track any ape swine that get in my tail. I don't like the top down view at all, it's too arcadey for my tastes.

Yes that's right, I said it's too arcadey. I'm aware of the irony so there's no need to bring it up :p

I've been using the "behind the ship" view exclusively. I actually prefer it quite a bit, I use my radar to track any ape swine that get in my tail. I don't like the top down view at all, it's too arcadey for my tastes.

Yes that's right, I said it's too arcadey. I'm aware of the irony so there's no need to bring it up :p

I also only use the "behind the ship" view. When I tried the "top down" view I couldn't seem to aim very well.

I also only use the "behind the ship" view. When I tried the "top down" view I couldn't seem to aim very well.

Ditto. I think it's a matter of practice though. I do very well for myself from behind the ship. If I go to top down I'd feel like I was playing a really suped up version of Galaga. :D

I use the far behind view myself, it can make it hard at times to tell how far away the smaller fighters are but it seems the best for seeing what's going on all around you.

Back