Current Poll: Wing Commander on NextGen System?

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Howdy all,
I was thinking about the current front page poll and wondering if y'all might want to discuss the logic behind your choices.

Which next-generation console would you most like to feature a Wing Commander game?
Microsoft X-Box 2:
Sony Playstation 3:
Future Nintendo Console:
Handheld (GBA/DS/PSP):
I would play on any platform:
I would not play a console game:

For me, it's any platform -- if I tracked down an FM Towns to play Wing Commander, I'll certainly buy whatever futuristic console system might be required.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I bought a Nintendo SP solely to play Prophecy: Advance.

Bob McDob said:
Yeah, I'd have to agree. I bought a Nintendo SP solely to play Prophecy: Advance.

As did I. I bought it a couple of days before Chris and Hades came to visit so we could play Prophecy together.

It was good, and I killed Cam a whole lot.

With the online gaming situation being as it is, I think it'd be really great if the next game utilized XBox Live. You can make PC games now that support headsets, but that's often pretty tacky and people don't consistently have them. The addition of ubiquitous headset support on Live is pretty great. There's a nominal fee to use the service, but people emulate LAN play online if they can't afford that. I really don't know which I'd choose to play on most if there were a game on PC and XBox. I think a lot of people voted No to consoles as a matter of course, but I seriously think that the XBox experience might be superior. I've got a nice 21" monitor and a pair of 19" screens to the sides just in case a game supports it, but I'd probably rather play an action game on a 40-50" high definition tv with my surround sound system here. That being said, I'd buy an N-gage the instant they released Wing Commander for it.

Besides that I am not all that keen to buy a new console for every new WC title (as great console games tend to switch consoles over the years) I'd really like to be able to fly HOTAS style. And I kinda doubt this will be possible with ANY console.

Hmm, I don't know, those giant robot games Chris and Frosty love so much have pretty impressive specialized layouts.

cff said:
Besides that I am not all that keen to buy a new console for every new WC title (as great console games tend to switch consoles over the years) I'd really like to be able to fly HOTAS style. And I kinda doubt this will be possible with ANY console.

Buying new consoles is cheaper than the relentless PC upgrading we did for eight years back in the 90s for Wing Commander.

So is Steel Battalion.

sb1.jpg

sb2.jpg

https://www.wcnews.com/chrisreid/tekki1.jpg
https://www.wcnews.com/chrisreid/tekki2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
would not buy a console. Do not play enough games to justify having a machine taht only does that. I love my PC and will get games for that. It has always looked better than a silly console anyway. Dont see the point

climber said:
would not buy a console. Do not play enough games to justify having a machine taht only does that. I love my PC and will get games for that. It has always looked better than a silly console anyway. Dont see the point

Nobody should be buying either one for aesthetics. I've never understood the mentality that won't allow buying a game machine. Some of those same people go out and buy $150-300 video cards every other year, and they don't see the weirdness there. I've been a console AND PC game for about eighteen years now, and they're very complementary. If you're just doing one, you're missing out on a huge swath of gaming. And of course, quantity of games makes no difference. We all went out and bought sound blasters for WC2, CD-ROM drives for Wing Commander 3 and 3dfx cards for Prophecy. There isn't a primary Wing Commander game launch that's cost me less than $150 (and for some WC games, I spent more than $300 or bought a whole new system). How would buying a console for the next Wing Commander game be any different? What other justification is necessary?

It comes down to the quality of the game experience. I can buy a dozen crappy games for the PC and play each for a couple hours a piece. Or I can buy a console with one great game that I'll play for a hundred hours. What needs to be justified? The price of a console is equal to just a few games, so if there is just a single game that will earn play time equivalent to that of a few average games, there's not even an additional relative cost. I'm not hearing from people who do both and decide that doing either one or the other is the best option. It's always people who stuck to just PCs or just consoles and don't care to see what the other has to offer. I don't understand the bias. Graphics and sound? Playing Steel Battalation in 1280x720p resolution in front of a 50" high def tv while sitting in the middle of a four hundred watt sound system is as close as I'll ever be to sitting inside of a giant robot. Until the XBox 2 comes out, I suppose.

I also voted for any system. I've got a pS2 that I play WC III and IV on, but I may get Prophecy GBA for my Brothers GameBoy, just for me really :D

Consoles don't just play games, I use my PS2 for CDs and DVDs

So far the folks that voted "I would not play a console game" are very much in the lead. They have brought shame upon their families.

I've always held WC console games in high regard. I think if anything, it's only expanded the fan base by making the games more accessible to those aren't (or weren't) willing to drop $2k on a new computer. And for me, Wing Commander for the PC introduced me to the games in 1990, but it wasn't until 1993 when I bought Wing Commander for my SNES that my love of Wing Commander really took hold. WC on the computer always seemed so complicated to me at 10 years old, and after I'd played the SNES version, I got a taste of the story. Knowing that there was more story to tell (i.e. SM1+2), I went back to my computer to play, bought WC2 and SO's, and eventually a CD-ROM drive and WC3. Wow, now that I think about it, 1993-94 were a great couple of years for me.

So yeah, I'd play it on any console, any computer - I just want something new.

Consoles are too expensive AND unsupported here. And I think that the PC is the best plataform for WC games. If I lived in the USA or EU, I'd have all the consoles plus a DS and a PSP, though.

Edfilho said:
Consoles are too expensive AND unsupported here.

You're telling me Ghost Country doesn't have any gaming consoles? (If it makes you feel better, console and PC game cross-pollination is happening more and more often, usually with the X-Box and the PC. In most cases, fight sims don't really translate well to consoles because of the control structure offered by generic controllers - but I did have fun with the WC PS ports and more recently Secret Weapons Over Normandy)

It just wouldn't be the same on a console. Besides, any flying game SUCKS utilizing a console's limited buttons.

Oh couse this is all hypothetical, as we're never going to see another WC game. :(

NuclearPenguins said:
Oh couse this is all hypothetical, as we're never going to see another WC game.

If we never do - which I sincerely, emphaticly and whole-heartedly doubt - I'm putting sole responsibility on you and your bad vibes.

I'm yet to be convinced that I should buy something I can play games on when I already have something I can play games and do a ridiculous amount of other stuff on. As Edfilho said, consoles and console titles are pretty expensive here, so the yearly computer upgrade comes much cheaper, and feels like much more bang-for-your-buck to me.

There's also the fact that the PC components I replace are easy to sell and fetch decent prices (since not everyone uses their PC for playing the latest games and running the latest 3D packages, ya know :p).

The last time I upgraded my computer I got a new case, power source, motherboard, processor, RAM stick, and video card. If you factor in the cash I got from selling the old stuff, the whole thing cost me under half the price of a PS2... (and it was no tiny meaningless upgrade).

That's why I voted I wouldn't play a console game, even if it's WC.

Well Mr. Ried your post comes at a unique time for me. You see...Republic Commando was just released for the Xbox and the PC. Now I had a choice - because I use a laptop as my primary computer, I don't have the option to upgrade. Which means I can shell out $800+ to get a new computer, or I can buy an xbox and play Republic Commando on the Xbox. Which by the way, as a bonus, also allows me to play a slew of other PC Games that are too new to run on my admitedly out of date system.

However, my computer is not so out of date that it's useless - it does everything that I ask it to, just not the games (As well all know, laptops aren't really built to be gaming machines to begin with).

So for me the choice was simple. Shell out around $200 to play Republic Commando and get an xbox, or shell out 800+ to get something I might have to shell out an additional $200+ for to run the game.

I went with the Xbox.

Now up to this point in my life I have primarily been a PC Gamer. There's just better games for the PC then there are for the consoles (Like WC - I love it, but I just don't see how you could port it to a console - to many key commands, and I like my key commands). You can't play RTS (Real Time Strategy) games on the console either.

That being said - I agree with you whole heartedly. The two systems compliment each other well. I keep my PC and my Saitek joystick for my flightsims and my RTS games, and I use the Xbox for RPGs like KOTR (Knights of the old Republic) and FPS games like Republic Commando.

I think you hit the nail on the head - to many people lean one way or the other, and never branch out and so they don't find what they're missing. I for one am glad for this oppurtunity.

That being said - I would buy any console and pay any amount of money to be able to play a new Wing Commander game. There are no limitations for me.

I voted I would not play wing commander on a new console.

Eder said:
I'm yet to be convinced that I should buy something I can play games on when I already have something I can play games and do a ridiculous amount of other stuff on.

The above quote just about sums up my reasoning. As much as I love the wing commander series, I would not be prepared to spend the extra money on the hardware to play one game, when I can already play many games, including past wing commander games, on my PC. For example, I would really have liked to have a go at GTA San Andreas, but with no PC release yet, I am yet to play it and I would not by a PS2 just for this game. The same would go for a new wing commander game.

Back