CPU Cycle issues in DOSBOX (WC2)

getembees

Spaceman
Well, its taken me alot of self-teaching, but i successfully installed WC2 on dosbox!

Now to troubleshoot....

As we all know, the default values of dosbox are too slow for WC2. Ive tried changing the values in doxbox.config but i have found that large battles slow the game down too much. I changed the coretype to dynamic, and the cycle values were going up and down to keep "game time" consistent.

Unfotunately, now when I set coretype to dynamic the cycles don't change! Heres a quick look at my current settings

core=dynamic
cputype=auto
cycles=5000
cycleup=10
cycledown=20

Ive also tried..........

core=dynamic
cputype=auto
cycles=auto
cycleup=10
cycledown=20

But to no avail, the cycles are not changing dynamically as they should. Any advice???

~GetEmbees

PS - if i raise the value of loadfix -32wc2 to 64 or other numbers, what does this do? allocate more memory to the game?

PPS - Below is my entire dosbox.config file for reference

Attachments

• dosbox-0.74.conf.txt
    10.7 KB · Views: 69
why not just use cputype auto?

anyway, loadfix uses up some of the memory - as you may know, dos had a low memory limit of 640kb, but it was almost impossible to get such a high value free (mouse drivers, cd driver etc etc), anyway a lot of games have problems when dosbox gives them all 640kb and throw a hissy fit (wc2 does on the 2nd or 3rd mission) so you have to use up some memory by filling it up (loadfix 16 will fill 16 kb of memory so wc2 only sees 624kb).

hope that helps!

Back