Could I get your opinions?

KilrathiSaga

Spaceman
Well...I just found a psx copy of WC3. You might all be wondering why in the hell would I buy that and not WC3 dos. Well, frankly, I don't like having to fiddle with the OS to get the game to run. Now, I got this game for 15 bucks. Was it worth it? Was the psx's version on par with the pc version...and if so, did you like the FMV sequences.
Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on it...because it's the only one I haven't played yet...
Did I make a mistake...well? Did I?

------------------
Stop the foolishness...
stop the insanity...
Re-release the Kilrathi Saga NOW!!!

Well, it's always more fun to blast Kilrathi to dust with a joystick instead of the clusmy PlayStation controls, but PSX WC3 isn't that bad. That was how I was introduced to WC 3 years ago this September-- on the PSX.

Anyway, compared to my PC WC3 at any rate, the PSX video clips are much clearer, the sound much better, and there are a few added scenes not in the PC version. The cockpit comms are in full color on the PlayStation, instead of that grainy, green of the PC one.

No, you didn't make a mistake. Whenever you can get your hands on a WC product, whether it be on the PC, PSX, or, hell, even the SNES verisons of WC1 and 2, then bully for you.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Thank you for the reassuring words...

You see, I found WC3 on Starvector for 33 dollars, and it just seemed like too much money to spend on a game that I couldn't play until I dual booted (I'm on W2k now). So I decided I'd look for the psx version, because I had heard it had sharper video and whatnot.

Well, at least I can rest assured that the game isn't total crap...I appreciate it Dralthi5...It always feels good to know you made a good decision...

------------------
Stop the foolishness...
stop the insanity...
Re-release the Kilrathi Saga NOW!!!

No problem.

The only problem I had with the game was the loading, which seemed to take forever, but with a PlayStation game you can't do anything about that.

------------------

And the fact that you can't fly the ground missions. Those replacing movies are cool though.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Just for the record, Super Wing Commander was a good game. It wasn't like it was the black sheep of the Wing Commander family.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Well, that came out of nowhere.
wink.gif

Super Wing Commander... I've heard of this. What exactly is it, though? I should know, but...

------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Wing Commander was the Mac (and SNES?) version of WC. It featured full speech, improved graphics (including more than a few ship models from Armada... or was it vice-versa? There was also one or two from WC2, and even one that looked a bit like one of the later Priv2 ships). Apparently, it also included some extra missions.
It looked good, but the controls on the Mac were IMHO pretty darned screwed up (that's what happens when your mouse only has one button). Also, the voice acting was almost (but not quite) as atrocious as in WC2. And the new ship models took quite a bit of getting used to.

All in all, an interesting collector's item, if you happen to have a Mac. Which I don't.

It was kinda funny though, when my friend finished WC1 without even noticing it - because there's no break between WC1 and the SMs.
smile.gif

Super Wing Commander is made for the SNES. However, I dont remember any full speech the one time I played it (a friend has it, will see about buying it off of him) and unless you enjoy flying with the keyboard the controls are difficult to deal with. So little precision that I was unable to navigate the first asteroid field. Maybe that's just me being a joystick elitist though...

Yes, well I did say that I'm talking about the Mac version. They'd have to have one hell of a compression rate to get full speech on those puny little cartridges the SNES uses.

I have Super Wing Commander for the 3D0 and it's not that bad the controls are alot better then the mac for sure but there is a strange thing the first two campains are the same like the pc version but the one with the Firekins is not even there it is replaced with something about going out to destroy Kilrathi stealth technology if I remamber correctly.

The strong shall survive!!!!

Really? Care to give us some details? I know SWC has some missions that weren't in the original, but I don't know what they were about.

But that would screw up WC2. If they knew about stealt tech back then.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

not if they thought they just vaped the main research station. Or perhaps it was a secret ops job that Tolwyn, not being the insanely powerful figure he was later, was kept out of the loop alone with the majority of the population.

Quarto: As much as those cartidges suck they can hold a fairly impressive amount of data. Those small Gameboy carts, for example, can hold 8Mb of data and they also come with their own cache and data registers. Which isn't bad for a portable handheld gaming device. Considering how old the technology is, it's pretty good eh?

Steampunk: Oh, I know that they store more than your average floppy disk
smile.gif
. But WC1 without speech took almost 14mb. If it had full speech, it would take much, much, much, much, much more.
Hmm... just how much do SNES thingies store, anyway?

Well one thing I remember about that part of the game is that instead of Hobbes defecting with the entire Fralthi he fly's out in a single Dralthi himself and about thew stealth tech base I remember that in the breafing that it was the same base that the sivar dreadnaught was made that destroyed godardI play it again to get more deatails.

How interesting. Hey LOAF, you wouldn't happen to know some more details about that, would you?
smile.gif

Another strange thing is that the cockpit for the Rapier is the same one for the morning star.

Quarto: I don't know how much the SNES cart hold. But considering the physical size of a GameBoy cart, SNES cart could probably hold 4,5 times more imho. Not too shabby.

Does anyone know what recording medium is used in carts?

Back