Controls lock in Prophecy

U

Unregistered

I've got an odd problem. I just changed my OS to WinXP and I'm trying to play Prophecy. When I first installed it, I had the video skip problem, so I installed HCI's video fix patch. That fixed that problem, but now I have a gameplay problem. Anytime during flight, when I'm getting a video message from the Midway, my controls lock up. In addition, sometimes they lock up intermittently in a fight with a lot of fighters (20 or so).

My system is an AthlonXP 2400+, 768MB memory, ATI Radion 8500DV video card. I'm using the sound on the motherboard (AC97).

I have tried reinstalling the game, no good.

Vandrvekn (For some reason I can't post here even though I'm registered.)

it might be a driver issue with your onboard sound. What kind of controller are you using? IS there possibly an interupt conflict?

I'm just using the keyboard for controls. I downloaded the sound driver from the motherboards manufacturer (Albatron). I'm not showing any IRQ conflicts.

Since my original post, I've tried removing the video skip patch and using Mincemeat's superpatch, but it gives me the same problem, only now I have the problem in Secret Ops and Unknown Enemy too.

Vandrvekn

I can log in, but when I try to post, it tells me I do not have permission to view this page. Did I get banned or something?

Unregistered said:
I can log in, but when I try to post, it tells me I do not have permission to view this page. Did I get banned or something?

You might want to check your cookie settings. Also, hit the remember me button when you log in next time. Sometimes cookies will expire after a short order if you don't tell it to keep you logged in.

About IRQs, WinXP is pretty good at allowing things to share IRQs so you may want to check anyway. If your controler is on the same interupt as your sound then you might want to tell windows to assign them different ones.

Unregistered said:
I'm just using the keyboard for controls. I downloaded the sound driver from the motherboards manufacturer (Albatron). I'm not showing any IRQ conflicts.

Since my original post, I've tried removing the video skip patch and using Mincemeat's superpatch, but it gives me the same problem, only now I have the problem in Secret Ops and Unknown Enemy too.

Vandrvekn

Try manually give your secretops.exe Windows 95/98 compatibility mode by right clicking on the .exe file itself, properties, compatibility tab.

If that works, great.

If different problems occur because of that mode, then the amount of compatibility fixes being applied to it are overkill. Undo that compatibility mode, uninstall the superpatch, and use the Microsoft application compatibility toolkit to customise things for your situation.

Mincemeat said:
Try manually give your secretops.exe Windows 95/98 compatibility mode by right clicking on the .exe file itself, properties, compatibility tab.

If that works, great.

If different problems occur because of that mode, then the amount of compatibility fixes being applied to it are overkill. Undo that compatibility mode, uninstall the superpatch, and use the Microsoft application compatibility toolkit to customise things for your situation.

I was using Win98 compatability mode before, it worked fine for Secret Ops and UE. When I use it with Prophecy, I get the video skip problem. I did switch off compatability mode before installing your patch. What is the MS application compatability toolkit?

Vandrvekn

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I installed the HR patch, put the video at 800x600. At first I had the video skip problem again, so I reinstalled the original video skip patch on top of that one, and it's running quite a bit better now. I've had a few glitches, but nothing like the problems I was having. Thanks for the help, Mincemeat!

Vandrvekn

(Still can't post to forums normally)

Unregistered said:

No.. are the CIC Forums giving you that error or is it your browser? Could be a cookie issue.

Thanks for explaining, KrisV! I signed up for this about a year ago, then was off the net for awhile. I guess I never got the email for confirmation.

Back