Confederation at War

Dralthi5 said:
Maybe the movie was never intended to be part of the continuity.

Evidence from the movie states otherwise. It would've been infinitely easier to just set the movie at any old point, with any number of characters, slap on the title and call it a day. But the fact that they meticiulously set it up for it to work within the confines of an already written universe speaks volumes of their understanding and appreciation for established continuity.

The way I've always dealt with the canon is to seperate it in levels. If you're familiar with how LucasArts treats the Star Wars franchise and the Official Expanded Universe, that's what I'm talking about.

In all fairness, the system you've described is absolutely useless - and no matter what LucasArts tells you, it runs completely contrary to how they actually treat their franchise.

The idea of there being an established "canon" of materials is not for us, save in that it will help our understanding of future decisions. Lucas' position is simply that he does not take into account any of the 'expanded' merchandise when he is writing a new story - therefore rendering all of it "non canon" in the most practical of senses.

Now, despite what the fans of other universes will then imply to you, such a designation doesn't mean that this material "didn't happen" -- it means (and *only* means) that when Mr. Lucas sits down to write Episode VII that he won't hold himself responsible for being familiar with a hundred and fifty different alternate stories about things happening after Return of the Jedi.

We should also keep in mind that it's nowhere near the badge of shame that our horrible fan communities would imply: a "non canon" Star Trek novel usually does a better job of integrating itself into the greater Star Trek community than a TV episode.

My solution for the Princeton being described as a Confederation Class, was the fact that the book had a case of Pearl Harbor Syndrome i.e. (in Pearl Harbor the USS Hornet CV-8 is shown as USS Hornet CVA-12, the shown Hornet is also fully modernized with an angled flight deck.) Therefore it was a simple mistake.

In all fairness, when it comes to stories about Pearl Harbor, Action Stations is a lot more historically accurate than the Ben Affleck movie. *zing*! (Seriously, though, the Wing Commander IV novel does specifically use the same term as the game - Concordia-class carrier.)

You've actually got a point. Seeing that Chris Roberts wrote and directed the WC movie, then it would have to be level one canon. I'm not completely familiar with the movie and cartoons, but doesn't one contradict the other as the 'prequel' to WC1? I could be absolutely wrong on this because like I said...I'm not that familiar with eiter.

No, they don't contradict each other - only the first episode of Academy (which takes place entirely at TCSF Flight School) is a prequel to the first game. The others take place later in 2654 (after the movie and after some of the original game, in terms of the timeline). Academy purposefully does not have a "Blair transferring to the Tiger's Claw" story... in the first episode he learns he will be assigned there and then the second episode opens weeks later when he's already onboard.

Sorry that I haven't read this entire thread...

Though I loved the WC Movie there are too many inconsistencies for it to be considered "true canon." When I first saw it, I felt like Chris basically abandoned the actual WC canon to make something he thought would suck in the average, non-WC fan. This would explain additions like the Skipper missile (which in the canon was first tested in 2669, WC3), the very idea of Maniac and Blair being close friends, the whole marine/fuel extraction scene, and the Pilgrim subplot. Just because it was directed by Roberts himself doesn't mean we automatically are forced to try to merge this with everything else. Besides, the movie came out three years after Chris left ORIGIN...

You should probably look through the thread - we had a pretty lengthy discussion about most of this back on page one.

4. The movie was watchable and the cartoons were quite good. Neither one can be (or was intended to be) harmonized with the game. Howeve, that doesn't seem to deter people.Ce la vi.

Overall, I have enjoyed this discussion immensely, and I hope others have as well. That being said, time for me to exit, stage left even.

C'est, I believe. This has been a good thread, and I'm sorry you're leaving it. Good show all around.

Bandit LOAF said:
In all fairness, when it comes to stories about Pearl Harbor, Action Stations is a lot more historically accurate than the Ben Affleck movie. *zing*!

Yeah, that movie Fecked up the Battle of Britain (1. the Battle ended in September 1940 (although the Blitz still went on) and 2 the only Americans who served with the RAF during the battle were volunteers and none of them were US Servicemen)

I hated Action Stations.
I was at first anxious to read it, because I thought it explanied alot.

So... you brought back a year old thread to let us know you hated Action Stations... with no explanation?

Dyret said:
Mispelling a word that's so commonly (over)used is very, very, sad.:)

its not a misspelling, 'Feck' can be used in lieu of the famous f word. Watch an Irish tv show, they use the word a lot. Father Ted is an especially good one.

Here's a good rule: if it takes you 11 months to decide to criticize someone's spelling, don't bother.

Bandit LOAF said:
Here's a good rule: if it takes you 11 months to decide to criticize someone's spelling, don't bother.

No, actually i stopped following this thread back then for some strange reason. I just noticed and found it amusing(for some other strange reason).

I'll go even farther than LOAF:

Don't bother to criticize someone's spelling, at any time. Spelling (f)lames are rather petty, at the very least.

Action Stations is a great book that fills in gaps quite nicely. Seeing the events that shaped Tolwyn's early career greatly aids to when we later see him at his finest and darkest hours.

AKAImBatman said:
If I may ask a question, why does everyone try to merge the WC Movie universe with the WC game universe? As with most movies, I always assumed that the two were separate and independent interpretations of the story. For example, there were two Doctor Who movies produced that cast the Doctor as an earthly human who invented a time and space machine. I don't see anyone trying to harmonize those, so why are we trying to harmonize the Wing Commander realities?

I've always considered them separate too.
But part of my reason may or may not be due to faulty memory of the 1st 2 games.
When did Maniac show up in the games? It's been years since I played them but I thought when Maniac showed up it was Blair's first time meeting him, yet in the movie they were at the academy together.
Maybe I'm remembering the first games incorrectly

privfan said:
I've always considered them separate too.
But part of my reason may or may not be due to faulty memory of the 1st 2 games.
When did Maniac show up in the games? It's been years since I played them but I thought when Maniac showed up it was Blair's first time meeting him, yet in the movie they were at the academy together.
Maybe I'm remembering the first games incorrectly

Well... you're responding to a year old thread, for one thing... but what's more, you're responding to a year old thread that went on to discuss the *specific issue* already.

Back