Computer game music cover versions

Dix

Spaceman
Huzzit all - a little while ago a friend lent me an Apocalyptica album, and one of the songs was a cover of the Zelda theme tune, which was beautiful (i like classical , m'kay? :p )

does anyone else have or know of good covers of game music, or even game music albums like the homeworld one?

There's a band called Minibosses who do rock covers of old NES soundtracks. They have an mp3 of a medley of various songs from Megaman 2 on their website that's really great. I'm partial to this one though because Megaman 2 is my favorite NES game and I think it has one of the best video game soundtracks ever (the theme to the first Dr. Wily level in particular.)

I've also heard a Contra medley that they did as well that was also very good.

Fear Factory wrote a track for some driving game that I can't remeber the name of. It's a damn good track too.

I like Apocaliptica also.

Some of my favorite Nintendo music was from Bionic Commando. Radiohead should do some covers from that soundtrack.

Oooh, or to hear maybe Aphex Twin cover some Privateer tracks.

You might want to check out groups like The Advantage or MegaDriver, as they do covers of various video game tunes. There's also a cover of the Zelda theme song that System of a Down did (I think it was them) that's been floating around for a while.

People have covered a lot of the "classic" video games. University of Florida's marching band has done the theme from Legend Of Zelda during their football games. The Pixies did a cover of the theme from NARC on one of their albums (I think it was their B-Sides collection) and theres an acapella version of the music from Bubble Bobble floating around on the internet. I'll post that last one if I find it again.

That reminds me of the Final Fantasy concert that came through Hartford, Connecticut about a month ago. I had the intentions of seeing it for all of 5 seconds - who wants to go to a nice orchestral concert and have to sit next to 14 year old anime fans wearing Hellsing t-shirts?

LeHah said:
That reminds me of the Final Fantasy concert that came through Hartford, Connecticut about a month ago. I had the intentions of seeing it for all of 5 seconds - who wants to go to a nice orchestral concert and have to sit next to 14 year old anime fans wearing Hellsing t-shirts?

Not me. The quiet snobby types are the best ones to sit next to.

Those are the ones you're suppose to slap around for being prissy little shits.

(As opposed to slapping them around for being annoying little shits)

LeHah said:
Those are the ones you're suppose to slap around for being prissy little shits.

(As opposed to slapping them around for being annoying little shits)
Yep but if I did that in a classical concert I'd be deafened by a lot of loud shhhhing.

or even game music albums like the homeworld one?

Something Else Music Works puts out several good game soundtracks like Freelancer and Halo 2(which has two volumes to it). Here's a link to their site:
http://www.sumthing.com/\

There have also been soundtracks put out for Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun and Red Alert, but I can't remember off the top of my head who put those out. I ran across them purely by accident at strolling through Graywhale.

Also if you do a search for game music, or game soundtracks, on Amazon it comes up with quite a few options for domestic stuff and imports, though some of them can get pretty expensive.

SEMW does some great stuff though. The Freelancer soundtrack comes with a cool DVD with behind the scenes stuff and the music is cut together into regional suites, Kusari space - Liberty space - Rheinland space, and each suite starts out with the basic cruising along music and builds up through the combat and dire threat pieces before ending.

Back