Comm Relay of the Future: The CIC on Social Media (May 9, 2015)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The CIC's modern social media accounts turned five years old this week. If you're not currently a follower, our Facebook Page periodically posts things like little-known Wing Commander facts and interesting stories that you might've missed. It's also a great way to catch breaking news when it hits. For a more complete picture of the day-to-day happenings at the CIC, visitors can also follow our Twitter or RSS feed to be notified each time we post an update. Finally, Wingnuts looking for an even more in-depth conversation can join us on IRC chat or at the Forums. And if anyone can explain to us what Snapchat, Meerkat or other crazy things kids use these days are, hit the Discuss link below...

--
Original update published on May 9, 2015

Last edited by a moderator:
There's one account I left off because we don't use it much, our Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/WingCommanderCIC

Everyone is welcome to subscribe to that too if they'd like. There's some fun but shockingly pixelated clips of a younger-looking CIC Staff engaging in the 2008 Mythic archiving trip (one of them has almost 700 views??). At the time we just thought it was magical that we could upload video from our phones at the time. I do plan to post some new clips next time the gang is together and I'm kicking myself for forgetting that it existed from 2009-2014.

Going back even further, in the 2003-2007 timeframe we used to set up a webcam to spy on ourselves at Dragoncon and let the other Wingnuts see a little glimpse at the party. Further, we used to all dress up in our flight suits and go interview other con goers about Wing Commander, but technology available at the time meant that this was on awkward mini-DV tapes (digging those up some day will be another story). We openly dreamed about somehow combining these technologies someday and maybe being able to broadcast our adventures in real time. From our perspective in the early 2000s, we imagined this might take the form of perhaps a laptop in a backpack hardwired to a microphone and webcam that we could wear around someday when the wifi signal was strong enough to handle it.

Fast forward a dozen years, and now everyone has a palm sized super computer in their pocket that can instantly stream high definition video from anywhere to the internet with a few taps. I guess that's what meerkat/periscope does? That would've been fun to have at the 2011 CIC Birthday LOAF, ace and me did together from Austin! https://cdn.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/birthday_bar_2011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back