Cloaking?

U

Unregistered

Is their cloaking in this? I am just wondering if that could be done?

We're set in the WC2 era. Remember cloaking in WC2? ;)

As for if it can be done.. well. I can't answer that, you'll have to await one of the programmers being around (or at least someone who knows the engine better)

I asked about setting up cloaking in the SO engine. If I remember correctly the engine itself wouldn't support it without alteration to the source code.

We could probably pull off some very obviously faked cloaking, but it wouldn't work too well... so I'm afraid we're not gonna have fighters that spontaneously cloak in our missions. :(

The major problem with cloacking is that you cant remove a ship from radar, wich renders any "cloacking" attempt unuseful. And until now, there is no way to track wich frame is displayed in the texture anymation.
Q and I worked on a skipper missile sometime ago, it had some problems as it always needed to have at least one enemy ship around (thats quite reasonable, since it would need a ship to launch it), and that it would get out of texture sync in a while, although skippers are only supposed to be around for a while anyway :p

One possibility would be to deactivate a ship entirely while its "cloacked", but its like cheating, since it would make it impossible to hit at that time, taking most of the fun of it

Naféasonto said:
I am assuming alterthe source code as someone said is illegal?
Nobody would care in the least about its illegality, if it was even possible. You can't modify something you don't have.

Tempest said:
We're set in the WC2 era. Remember cloaking in WC2? ;
IIRC, your set just a few months prior to WC3 and a few years after the events of WC2. I believe cloaking is a well-known Kilrathi ability by this time :).

C-ya

Coding in C would be about the last thing that would help you for SO I'd say. We have WCPas, and besides that its most assembler and hex editing. I don't think much C (or C++) was involved if any at all.

Of course there was cloaking in WC2... Don't remember the sentence "What happend to your Flight Recorder?" which was annoying the second or third time you heard it... just bad plot design concerning this issue.

Unregistered said:
Of course there was cloaking in WC2... Don't remember the sentence "What happend to your Flight Recorder?" which was annoying the second or third time you heard it... just bad plot design concerning this issue.

Yes, but read a little more carefully. Did 'you' ever cloak in WC2. Emphasis on the 'YOU'. I'm well aware of the kilrathi stealth fighters always causing a menace.

Back