Cloaking devices and Flashpaks

Delance

Victory, you say?
Well, the UBW militia has those technologies. While cloaking devices might depend on rare crystals, flashpaks can be easily made. Pliers said he could put together some of them in just a week or so.

How incredibly hard would be to do such things on the Vision Engine?

I don't think the Flashpacks would really be used by the BW. Refer to the UE2 Ships thread, adn the image of the Blacklance for the reasoning.

Besides, while not as bad as the bioweapons, the flashpacks are still pretty horrible. It woudl probalby be like an atom bomb - we have them, but we don't intend to use them any time soon.

While I agree that the BW probably wouldn't use the flashpaks (too many associations with the Black Lance, like you say), is burning someone to death really any more horrible than blasting their hull open and making them suck vacuum?

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Needaham45
I don't think the Flashpacks would really be used by the BW. Refer to the UE2 Ships thread, adn the image of the Blacklance for the reasoning.

Besides, while not as bad as the bioweapons, the flashpacks are still pretty horrible. It woudl probalby be like an atom bomb - we have them, but we don't intend to use them any time soon.

It has nothing to do with atomic bombs. The flashpak is just a fancy torpedo, it does the same thing. A ship destroyed with the flashpak won't be much different than a ship destroyde with torps.

The question would be if the flashpak would work on a organic ship like the bugs have. Pliers said it could take a ship, an instalation, a building... but not an armor like on the Vesivius.

This may sound a bit ridiculous, but here goes anyway.

Torps are designed with destroying a ship in mind, no thought about the people in it. Flashpacks are designed to burn the people to death, and in the process, destroy the ship. While the end result is the same, the means by which is was acchieved is drastically different.

Flashpacks destroy a ship from the inside.The Torps do the opposite thing.Who said that the Flashpacks are easy to made??
Anyway,Flashpacks cant work to a Vesuvious Class Super Carrier,you think they can work to the Bug`s CapShips ??

I dont think that BW have the tools to make FlashPacks.

In point of fact, Flashpaks do work on Vesuvius carriers, as the crew of the Vesuvius found out. :p I'm assuming what you meant was that they don't penetrate the outer armour, and need to be fired on the inside. Besides, it doesn't follow that what doesn't work on a Terran ship won't work on a Nephilim one , given the differances in construction and materials.

As foir the tools to make Flashpaks, why not? They can build multi-role space craft the Vindicator, cloaking devices, weaponry like leech cannon, stormfires and scatter guns that Confed doesn't seem to have. Sure, they're less technologically advanced than Confed, but they're still a space faring 27th century culture.

Best, Raptor

Well, Pliers said that he could rig up a couple of Flashpaks in a week's time, presumably using only materials available on board the Intrepid, so I would say that they are not prohibitively difficult to make.

As for the morality of using the Flashpak, the issue is that the Flashpak is a "no survivors" weapon. In other words, it is intended right from the start that all people aboard a targeted vessel will die without the chance to abandon ship (and possibly be taken prisoner, but still alive).

Originally posted by Ijuin
Well, Pliers said that he could rig up a couple of Flashpaks in a week's time, presumably using only materials available on board the Intrepid, so I would say that they are not prohibitively difficult to make.

Well, you are right about that........Pliers did actually said that....But maybe he meant that he could prepare the other FlashPacks they Captured along with the Dragons to be ready.There was only one Flashpack availiable,but I dont think that they captured all these Dragons and only 1 of them had Flashpack

I thought there was meant to be a big shield improvement that meant flash-paks were useless however they were deployed. At least I think it was once mentioned on the chatzone.

Originally posted by Delance
Well, the UBW militia has those technologies. While cloaking devices might depend on rare crystals, flashpaks can be easily made. Pliers said he could put together some of them in just a week or so.
Considering the trouble Pliers had with his home-made cloaking device, I'd say he was being overoptimistic :).

How incredibly hard would be to do such things on the Vision Engine?
If you want to find out about cloaking, I would suggest you take a look at some of the threads in this forum that have already talked about it :p. As for flashpaks, it's doable... but why on earth would we want to? Flashpaks are annoying little devices that upset the balance of the universe by destroying capships in one hit.

TCSTigersClaw: Actually, they did only have one of them ("What's this? None of the others have one...") :p.

Re: Re: Cloaking devices and Flashpaks

Originally posted by Quarto

TCSTigersClaw: Actually, they did only have one of them ("What's this? None of the others have one...") :p.

MAN ! I always miss something.Forgive me guys ,I havent played WC games for a long time.UE was the last one I did and after that my PC "died" :p

Originally posted by Needaham45
Torps are designed with destroying a ship in mind, no thought about the people in it. Flashpacks are designed to burn the people to death, and in the process, destroy the ship. While the end result is the same, the means by which is was acchieved is drastically different.

are you sure that the flashpack was designed specifically to kill the crew of a ship. from what i've seen, it was just a way to give medium and light fighters a way to take out a ship with one shot. yes, it left no survivors, but weapons usually arn't designed to leave survivors, the main exceptions being the leech gun and leech missile. they are designed to destroy the target as quickly and efficiently as possible with minimal risk to the "good guys".

I'm rather sure that was the design intent of the device.

There are two ways to attack a ship (insert comment: there are two types of people in this world, those that seperate things into two types and those that don't), disable the technology or disable the pilots/crew. As previously stated, the torpedo is designed to do the former, while the flashpack is clearly designed to take advantage of the second method.

How so? After a flashpak attack the ship is destroyed. A flashpak kills the crew and then destroys the ship. The torp, however, destroys the ship and then kills the crew. Yeah, big difference.

In both cases the crew suffers terribly. When you hear the last comm transmission of a ship destroyed by either method, you hear terrible screams...

However, with torps there is also the chance for the crew to escape. Whether to be captured or to make it away, they can get out alive. With the flashpack taking advantage of killing the crew first, they don't have that option - they all must die.

In the WC universe, you can count on your fingers the number of opportunities that people got to actually get off a ship destroyed by torpedoes. I rather doubt that the crew of the Tiger's Claw, for example, would see any difference between a torpedo strike and a flashpak attack.

All in all, the flashpak is a great weapon. It achieves what the designers of the torpedo could only dream about - an instantaneous, one-shot kill. If there are indeed any moral issues associated with it, they come not from the weapon's characteristics but rather from its association with the BL. Not that this has any bearing on UE... :p

Quarto is right. Even more, I'd like to say that even with the flashpak DOES allow the crew a chance to escape, just like the torpedo or energy guns. PROOF?

Regardless of the method used to destroy the Vesivius (flashpak, fission canons, torps) admiral Tolwyn makes his escape to Earth.

Back