CIC's birthday

I'd like to see a couple of missions where you can bloody their noses a bit but ultimately have to run like hell. Problem though, make sure your running from something like Devil Rays or Mantas(something a little on the slow side) because Squids are extremely fast :)

Another problem is you'll get lots of questions like "Mission xx is impossible I can't win it!" and you'd have to give lots of responses like "you HAVE to run stupid!". ;)

C-ya

Hmmm in that case both the ISIS and the NavMap should explicitly state that you are to retreat if outgunned, and perhaps the baddies that you have to run from should be flagged as indestructible to give the player a clue?

Anyway, for a mission like that, I would think you would have a goal such as protecting a ship while it jumps out, or scanning a certain target (like with the Ray cluster in UE1), and then bugging out without having to clear the Nav point.

I think a problem would be when autopilot would become available. IIRC, enemies can remain on radar for over 100000 klicks... that's a long way to run!

I don't know much about mission scripting, but I know there's a command to make the autopilot light turn on when it normally wouldn't... I *think* that means you could also autopilot, but I'm not sure.

That would be correct, there are Pascal codes that can bring the autopilot online. But why didn't the UE1 team allow you to do that in UE1.
HHHHMMMMM... Quarto?!

An oversight? Not needed for UE1 missions? To make it more difficult? There's all sorts of possibilities, but as I wasn't doing mission design, I can't tell you the real reason.

If you're talking about mission 9, it wasn't an oversight. It may have been a case of bad mission design, but it definitely wasn't an oversight - you weren't supposed to get away. Hence the use of the Squids, which theoretically can catch up with anything (but don't, apparently). And if you're talking about some other mission, it's not something that was ever needed. The only situation where it was needed was mission 8 - and it was used there.

Besides, if I wanted the player to get away from the Squids, I would have simply bound them to that particular actionsphere :p.

Well Quarto, it is quite logical why you can outrun the Squids. They are fairly slow at non AB speeds (400 or so IIRC). And while they got infinite burners they have some cooldown period (I'd estimate they can only fly on AB 1/2 of time). So their average speed is about 800-900 kps which the Banshee can easily outperform in autoslide mode...

Here's my latest speculations on the new UE craft.

Spectre Light Fighter

(Presumed to be the BW's counterpart to the Piranha, it is the replacement for the Kilrathi War-era Arrow and Banshee fighters.)

Possible statistics:

Speed: 520 kps
Afterburner: 1400-1500 kps
Turn rate: 90/90/90 to 100/100/100 dps
Armor: 160-200 cm each quadrant (a little less than Piranha)
Shields: About 200 cm fore/aft
Guns: Either 2 Tachyon or 2 Laser/2 Ion (Laser/Mass Driver is too much like the Tigershark, and Laser/Particle is too heavy).
Missiles: 2 DF/4 HS/2 IR
Decoys: 16-24

Rapier IV Medium Fighter

(Presumed to fill roles similar to the Panther. Developers have stated that its power level falls somewhere between the Tigershark and the Panther.)

Possible statistics:

Speed: 450 kps (same as Rapier II)
Afterburner: 1300 kps (same as Rapier II)
Turn rate: 70/70/70 to 80/80/80 dps
Armor: 200-240 cm each quadrant (about 40 cm more than Spectre but less than Panther)
Shields: 240-260 cm fore/aft (slightly less than Panther)
Guns: 2 Ion/2 Particle (lighter than Panther's 2 Ion/2 Tachyon but heavier than Tigershark's 2 Laser/2 Mass Driver)
Missiles: 4 DF/4 HS/4 FF (with possible light bomber loadout 4 LT/4 HS/4 FF ? )

Heavy Bomber (name unknown)

(Presumed to fill a role similar to the Shrike, no info given so far.)

Possible statistics:

Speed: 320-400 kps
Afterburner: 720-800 kps
Turn rate: about 60/60/60 kps?
Armor: 300-400 cm each quadrant
Shields: 300-400 cm fore/aft
Guns: Either 2 Viper or two guns each of any two types other than Lasers.
Turrets: At least one.
Missiles: 4 Heavy Torps, 4+ IR missiles, 4+ FF missiles, Light torps?, Mines?, Other missiles?

Ijuin said:
Heavy Bomber (name unknown)

(Presumed to fill a role similar to the Shrike, no info given so far.)
I don't actually have a hand in the ship stats themselves, but last time someone asked me to design the UE2 bomber, I was told it should be something real heavy (more along the lines of an Avenger or Longbow).

Well if it's real heavy then I don't particularly see why the Avenger from the UE1 simulator can't be used, except for the fact that it's more fun to have an all-new ship instead, of course. ^_-

But if it is going to be a heavy bomber instead, then I would go with:

Speed: 320-360 kps
Afterburner: 720-800 kps
Turn rate: about 60/60/60 kps
Armor: 400 cm each quadrant
Shields: 400-450 cm fore/aft
Guns: 2 Viper/2 Ion, 2 Viper/2 Particle, or 2 Tachyon/2 Particle.
Turrets: At least one.
Missiles: 4 Heavy Torps, 4 DF missiles, 4 IR missiles, 4 FF missiles, Light torps?, Mines?

Ijuin said:
Well if it's real heavy then I don't particularly see why the Avenger from the UE1 simulator can't be used, except for the fact that it's more fun to have an all-new ship instead, of course.
Well...
1. The costs of upgrading Avengers to B-1D are pretty high (and it's not a good option anyway, because the old airframes won't last that long).
2. The costs of producing new B-1D Avengers are even higher. The design is completely uneconomical. Its stats are total overkill.

Consequently, the BW cannot afford to bring B-1D Avengers online in numbers higher than a dozen or two. A ship's stats are little consolation when you can only afford to have one on every carrier. The BW, having realised this, is pursuing multiple options to build up a cheaper bomber fleet. Firstly, they are purchasing various old Confed bombers, such as the Longbow. Secondly, they are working on a new design with less brilliant stats but a lower pricetag. I am not, however, at this stage certain whether the new UE2 bomber will be this new design, or if it will be another (not so) old Confed bomber. That will be decided when we have a model and stuff.

Also, the Vipers are not likely to appear on anything other than the Rapier IV, and it's entirely possible that only the first production series will include them (like the Excal's Reapers). These things cost a lot, and the Border Worlds aren't actually interested in having a fleet that can technologically rival Confed. First and foremost, they want self-reliance - a fleet that can be built and maintained without Confed assistance and without costs that would hamper the development of the rest of the country.

Heh. Quarto, you are truly a kindred soul. ;-) That's the exact same idea that I've been trying to establish for the Border Worlds faction in the Aces. Basically, I want the Border Worlders to have a small, flexible and efficient fighting force that will defend the nation, but isn't trying to be a galaxy spanning power like Confed is.

Yea - we all have to keep the fact that this isn't Confed here. The Border Worlds have a fair amount of strength - they want to defend themselves, that's all.

That being said, to me, personally, it would make sense for the Border Worlds to come up with designs for everything they need that can be built just by the Border Worlds, so they don't have to depend on anyone but themselves to keep themselves safe.

I once thought of a design that looks like a Rapier (WC2) crossed with a Hornet. The stats were as follows.

Class:Medium Fighter
Speed: 470 Kps
Cruise: 360 Kps
Afterburner: 1550 Kps
Shields: 125F 150R
Armor 220F 220R 180L 180R
Armament 2 Mass Drivers, 2 Particle Cannons
8 Hardpoints
Yaw 70 dps
Roll 80 dps
Pitch 100 dps

Whaddya Think? It could be used as the BW's priemier medium fighter.

Special Weapon: EMP Mine. A launcher in the aft section between the engines launches emp mines that disable any craft on your tail. Useful if the BW needs to know more about the Nephilum

I named it the F124 Eagle

Back