Chronicles of Riddick

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
I'm kind of interested in seeing this new movie. I've heard good things about the story. Have any of you read the book? Is it a series or is there just one? Because I know I want to read it before the movie comes out and I was just wondering if it was any good.

Chronicles of Riddick is the sequel to 'Pitch Black', and to the best of my knowledge isn't based on a book.

I thought it was a prequel, oh well. Riddick was the best part of Pitch Black, that was back when I actually thought Vin Diesel was cool, now after XXX, F and the F, and the upcoming XXX2 (which I know won't be great) I have taken a certain dislike for him. Riddick had some great lines in Pitch Black, made it kinda funny.

I'm giving it a chance for 3 reasons

1.) Very interesting production design

2.) Pitch Black was actually pretty good, all things considered

3.) Vin Diesel was the voice of the title character in "The Iron Giant"

I"m not a huge fan of Vin Diesel myself. But I actually think he has potential to become a better actor. And it just happens that he's been casted for a lot of stupid movies (not including the Iron Giant). But I'm not not going to see a movie just because of one guy I didn't like in it.

I am a little disappointed, however, that these aren't all based on a series of books.

The new Riddick flick does have seem like a older Sci-Fi novel doesn't it, the scenes of the villians and such have a "vintage" sci-fi look to them. Not that is bad, look at the Fifth Element, that had a "vintage" look to it and it was a great movie.

I'll watch the Riddick movie, hopefully it is good, I liked Pitch Black, and it would be a big letdown to see this one suck, almost like watching ROBOCOP3 (shudder)

Well, Shipgate didn't like the Fifth Element (I think), so I wouldn't go comparing it to that particular movie. Honestly Greg, I'm a little worried about this movie, I'll go see it with you though but only if it gets some decent reviews.

When is it coming out again?

I'm gonna go see it, just because I enjoyed the first one so much. With the name, I'm assuming it's a prequel to Pitch Black.

I really enjoyed the Iron Giant and his limited voice work in the movie (grunts and a few words) has nothing to do with me seeing this movie. Maybe if he did another childrens movie I'd see that because of Iron Giant, but I doubt it.

Bah!

Jim you know I liked the Fifth Element. We were watching it that one day and I said I liked it a lot. But as far as a movie getting good reviews, I've found that most movies I like tend to get bad reviews. That's just because the things I like about a movie seem to be the things that most movie reviewers overlook. Trust me, don't not see a movie based on it's bad reviews.

I noticed in the trailer for Riddick they play the same music they did for Planet of the Apes and Nemesis trailers. We should go see it when it comes out though. I'm certainly not having high expectations for it, but I usually don't for most movies.

Recycled music in movie trailers is far from a new thing. Usually when I go to a movie, one of my favorite little pre-movie games is "guess which movie the trailer music was originally from" :D

C-ya

BlackJack2064 said:
I thought it was a prequel, oh well. Riddick was the best part of Pitch Black, that was back when I actually thought Vin Diesel was cool, now after XXX, F and the F, and the upcoming XXX2 (which I know won't be great) I have taken a certain dislike for him. Riddick had some great lines in Pitch Black, made it kinda funny.

last time i checked, Diesel was not going to be in XXX2, i could be wrong

Deisel has potential; yes. Pitch black was a pretty damn good movie and having Farscape eye-candy (and good actress to boot) Claudia Black in it (for a while:() helped it quite a bit. I'll see the movie when it comes out, but like I said before, I have the unique ability to enjoy any movie.

I remembered the first gladiator trailor I saw, it had the Conan theme and I almost jumped out of my seat, been waiting for a Conan sequal for a while. I read that the wrestler HHH has been approached (unofficially) to do King Conan, since the Guvanator won't now.

That music that was in the Stargate trailer was in a ton of other trailers. You know like that Indiana Jones type music. It's in that new movie where they fly old planes and fight giant robots. That movie looks way lame.

Do'h! That must have been Sean who didn't like it...personally I thought it should have been a bit longer and there were some parts I thought were kind of cheesey (that the stone thingies were inside that singer's body for example).

I usually don't put my whole trust into reviews either, I take into account what the trailers look like too. One example would be that stupid Van Hellsing movie. It got terrible reviews and you can even tell from it's previews that it's a terrible movie. On the other hand the trailer for Riddick that I saw looked kind of neat with decent acting, it's just for some reason I'm a little wary about it that's all.

You still need to watch the last Samurai too! Just because a movie got good reviews doesn't mean it's terrible too! Hehehehehee!

[edit] I know what movie you're talking about Greg, it also has the same music as that Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within movie. It kind of pisses me off too.

I'm still quoting Van Helsing. Was it just me or did Dracula look like the antagonist from Fifth Element? thin pale face, odd-style black hair...lean and thin...

I believe Dracula (from the preview, you couldn't pay me to see that cartoon), in VH was the same bad guy in another horrible flick: League of Extraordinary Shit. The bad guy from Fifth Element was Gary Oldman, an amazing actor.

I think I was most disapointed with VH, was the final fight when VH has to become a werewolf to battle dracula, and even more distressing than that, Dracula was a pushover against him and was running and fighting in a not so good Jackie Chan style of way (running for dear life while fighting off someone), he was just losing.

I liked what they did with Frankenstein though, not the plot hook, but him being an object of pity, instead of hatred.

Shipgate said:
That music that was in the Stargate trailer was in a ton of other trailers. You know like that Indiana Jones type music. It's in that new movie where they fly old planes and fight giant robots. That movie looks way lame.

Theres so much wrong with this post I can't even pick it apart after staring at it for 10 minutes.

Back