Cap ships...

Assassin

Spaceman
How come the "hero" (the human character in the game, from Blair to Casey) fights on so many different carriers? I guess it makes it more interesting, but then no ship ever seems like home. Or were the ships destroyed and stuff?

As far as cap to cap fighting, I think Prophecy (the only recent game I've played) is lacking. They could have done so much more with it, and some of the reasons I've heard for not doing it in WC3 and 4 (hardware confinements) wouldn't have applied as much. Although I refuse to comment on whether X-Wing is a better game than Prophecy, (I'm not sure either is) it does have some interesting capship fights, although its always cruiser/destroyer vs. frigates and corvettes, never cruiser vs. destroyer. In the whole game in Prophecy (unless you wait forever for their paths to cross) capships never have any good engagements.

morelli

Tiger's Claw... destroyed.

Concordia... destroyed.

Victory... decommisioned after the war.

Lexington... destroyed.

Intrepid... well, that I'm not too sure of. I think it was turned into a training base for pilots after the Border Worlds conflict and Blair transferred his commission to the Navy in order to work in R&D shortly after that.

Anyway...

Midway... as far as we know, Casey's still there.

Cerberus... Casey returned to the Midway after his stint with CIS.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Assassin said:
How come the "hero" (the human character in the game, from Blair to Casey) fights on so many different carriers? I guess it makes it more interesting, but then no ship ever seems like home. Or were the ships destroyed and stuff?

For the most part the player is in the middle of a war. Ships die in war all the time. The Claw at the beginning of WC2, Concordia in WC3, and the Lexington of WC4 was disabled (not to mention that whole "defection" thing kinda making sticking around somewhat dangerous...)

As far as cap to cap fighting, I think Prophecy (the only recent game I've played) is lacking. They could have done so much more with it, and some of the reasons I've heard for not doing it in WC3 and 4 (hardware confinements) wouldn't have applied as much. Although I refuse to comment on whether X-Wing is a better game than Prophecy, (I'm not sure either is) it does have some interesting capship fights, although its always cruiser/destroyer vs. frigates and corvettes, never cruiser vs. destroyer. In the whole game in Prophecy (unless you wait forever for their paths to cross) capships never have any good engagements.

That's because there wasn't any Confed capships around besides the Midway, and as a carrier isn't supposed to go forward to directly engage enemy forces, but instead use its fighters and bombers as its offensive weapon, keeping itself out of the way. From Coral Sea onwards in the Pacific during WW2, it's been quite plainly demonstrated how letting the enemy near your carrier itself is generally a bad idea. (And further demonstrated in WC, in pretty much every game.)

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Last edited by a moderator:
Assassin said:

As far as cap to cap fighting, I think Prophecy (the only recent game I've played) is lacking. They could have done so much more with it, and some of the reasons I've heard for not doing it in WC3 and 4 (hardware confinements) wouldn't have applied as much. Although I refuse to comment on whether X-Wing is a better game than Prophecy, (I'm not sure either is) it does have some interesting capship fights, although its always cruiser/destroyer vs. frigates and corvettes, never cruiser vs. destroyer.

morelli

I recall a couple missions in either X-Wing or Tie where you had Calamari Cruisers fighting Star Destroyers. I also remeber those missions being choppy to fly on my P133. As far as Prophecy, the other's pointed out that the Midway was alone and would be better off avoiding direct combat. However, I seem to recall part of the selling point of the midway was that it was supposed to be very tough and designed to replace a battle group. Or was I mistaken.

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited July 07, 2000).]

Not quite. It was supposed to act as a standalone Naval base during peacetime. And during war, it was supposed to form the centre of a battle group.

Very good, Dralthi5! You must be the Wing Commander God of Knowledge!
wink2.gif

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

[This message has been edited by WildWeasel (edited October 20, 2000).]

WildWeasel said:
Very good, Dralthi5. I shall now call you the Wing Commander God of Knowledge. All bow before the WC GOK!

WW, can the sarcasm.

That's a privilege reserved for moderators and admins.

wink.gif

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

WildWeasel said:
Very good, Dralthi5. I shall now call you the Wing Commander God of Knowledge. All bow before the WC GOK!

besides, LOAF was, is and shall always be the Wing Commander God of Knowledge, period!

------------------
When I'm in the air...
I'm indestructible.
No one can stop me...
But they try.
Realy WC fans support the WCESCRP

WildWeasel said:

Don't listen to this blithering fool. I know nothing save for the most rudimentary facts of Wing Commander. I am not the GOK.

------------------

Ouch. I didn't expect that my simple compliment would be taken so poorly. No sarcasm was intended. But I guess you're right. LOAF does know a bit more about the Wing Commander universe...

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

I'm kidding.
biggrin.gif
But you should know that by now.

------------------

Hey Dralthi5, you're the one who stuck your own foot in your own mouth.
smile.gif

WildWeasel said:
Ouch. I didn't expect that my simple compliment would be taken so poorly. No sarcasm was intended. But I guess you're right. LOAF does know a bit more about the Wing Commander universe...

it's not taken poorly, it's just an insult to the real Wing Commander God of Knowledge (LOAF) it's like calling my self jezus or Blair...you know what i'm saying?

------------------
When I'm in the air...
I'm indestructible.
No one can stop me...
But they try.
Real WC fans support the WCESCRP

You mean that you don't consider yourself intelligent in the way of the Wing Commander?

Yer a Lieutenant Colonel, how could you say that?

Dralthi5 said:
Tiger's Claw... destroyed.

Concordia... destroyed.

Victory... decommisioned after the war.

Lexington... destroyed.

Intrepid... well, that I'm not too sure of. I think it was turned into a training base for pilots after the Border Worlds conflict and Blair transferred his commission to the Navy in order to work in R&D shortly after that.

Anyway...

Midway... as far as we know, Casey's still there.

Cerberus... Casey returned to the Midway after his stint with CIS.

cerberus=the plasma turrent gunner bad aim
pissed everyone off and then....

Actually, I was playing through some Secret Ops the other day and I found a few missions where Cerberus comes in contact with some enemy capships. There's one where she gets close to both a Nephilum carrier and cruiser. And later, I think its the mission before the last one, when you have help from that other carrier, both capships come in contact with Bug ships.

Good point about Carriers being kept at a distance, I forgot about that. I've never, ever seen any confrontation between a STDestroyer and a Calamari Cruiser in X-wing though. Maybe it happened in Tie, but I played all the X-wing missions 2-4 times and never saw anything.

It may have been in the add-ons, not B-wing, but the other one whose hame eludes me. It's been a while since I played. I was thinking it was during one of the evacuations, but I'd have to play them again for sure.

Back