Camel Cockpit WIP

Both Eder and Quarto have valid points.
I keep thinking of the 19th and 20th century railroad barons of
the U.S. westward expansion .
Given the "Wild West" feel you have suggested WIP will have .
I see Merchants filling that role .
While thier (the rail barons) private cars were the hieght of luxury ,
the rest of the train was a true work horse . I do realise that this view
does not translate perfectly . However it is how in my mind this
concept of a luxury merchant ship works .

How far out in left field am I guys ?

Howard ,got home looked at the .mov .
Looking very good my friend!!!
The wall pannels look much better with the toned down grain .
The colors accent one another well , with just enough natural
imperfections in the wood and leather to let you know its not
manufactured . What do you have in mind for the "joint" areas ?
Where the pannels , Wood and leather , come together look unfinished .
(of course as you stated at the start (and again ) it is a work in progress)
Also IMO the wall wood needs a more polished /lacqured(sp?) look .
Not necasarily glossy but less rough , if that makes sense.

As to my previous post , the "Rail Baron" thing works in my head .
They worked in frontier-ish lands where you had to be on site if you wanted
to beat the competition from locking you from the next big money maker .
Be that land , wood , minerals ,trade rights , or whatever you couldn't just
site back in civilization and wait for word to reach you . If you didn't react
fast you were cut out and soon forgotten .

Thanks again for all of your and the others hard work .

Just a quick update to show you how far I've progressed... Hopefully this is more to everyones' liking. I now hope it feels like just a fancier version of the other ships' cockpits.

Attachments

• ccwip08.jpg
    ccwip08.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 362
Okay, ladies and gents! Here's the latest Quicktime VR model. This is using a single 2048x2048 texture with no lighting - it's all baked in. Next up on my list of things to do is to add functional displays and do some minor mesh clean up. Right now it's sitting at 12K polys.
http://www.hedfiles.net/wcpioneer/Camel07.mov

Enjoy, and let me know if there are still changes that should be made. Now's the time, folks!

If there was any friction about the direction of your desing... it's gone now!
Most excellent job Howard Day, and continued good luck to you and all the desing team.

Looking much more functional now... amazing what a difference a few flashing lights can make ;).

Glad you like it. I admit, it looks much more...believeable, now. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, guys!
Now with displays!
http://www.hedfiles.net/wcpioneer/Camel.mov

Anyhow, as far as I'm concerned, she's done. As for the "Where are the control yokes/joysticks/throttles?" questions, thos are all animated objects tied to gameplay and player input. they get added in later, as separate objects.
Enjoy!

Howard Day said:
they get added in later, as separate objects.
Enjoy!

Does that mean youll see your hand manipulate the various controls like in the earlier WC's? Will you see your hands press various other buttons like ejection(if you have this option), autopilot, jettison cargo, and so on?:D

Try adjusting the angle of the fuel/power colums to better fit the display... that angle stands out in an otherwise sleek cockpit.

Attachments

• Display01.jpg
    Display01.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 255
I hope the copilot will help out with manning the turret, or someone else.

As far as the cockpit goes, definately beats the galaxy at looks. Can't wait to fly this beauty

Eder said:
I just don't see anyone buying a luxurious ship if their motivation is hauling more cargo per run, or being able to fight off stronger attackers... some other company would just make a ship with the same stats, but without any of the luxury options, and it'd drive the first guys out of business. :p

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a market for luxury in the game - there should be, but it should be tangible in the gameplay. Let people realize that with this ship, they're paying for luxury more than for performance.

You could conceivably build the luxury and more importantly, the status symbol aspect of the ship into the game play. For example, having some high end trade goods and ship components that only sell out of specific snooty ports that won't even let you land unless your ship above a certain class level. That could conceivably limit cut you out of missions on those worlds if you were flying a lesser craft. You could have a snooty 3PO clone appear on the comms screen giving you the brush off if you showed up in orbit in a Tarsus, maybe even having orbital satellites take a few pot shots at you to discourage you from getting too close.

Alternatively, having the Camel might simply unlock some high-end Merchant Guild mission offers that are more lucrative than the usual ones but are only awarded to VIP Guild members.

Ijuin said:
Alternatively, having the Camel might simply unlock some high-end Merchant Guild mission offers that are more lucrative than the usual ones but are only awarded to VIP Guild members.

That is one idea - quite good i think - but here's another. What about different levels of membership in guilds - each bought with larger sums of money? In this way the guild will know, who really IS rich, powerful and able to have means of handling its most vital and difficult tasks for appropriate reward.

i really like it, the only thing is that the seats seem a little underdetailed and seem a little cartoonish. Aside from that its great!

Howard, I am so glad you took Quarto's comments on board. It really looks like a rich play-toy but you are much more aware of it being functional now. Brilliant. My only criticism is it feels a bit too StarTrek for my liking. (unless that's the look you were going for). I'm wondering if that is the predominantly blue lighting scheme? Have you tried other combinations for the floor lights and the lights between panels? Maybe green lights rather than blue? Also might be a bit too brightly lit, even luxury private jets often have subdued lighting while in flight.

terroshak said:
I'm wondering if that is the predominantly blue lighting scheme? Have you tried other combinations for the floor lights and the lights between panels? Maybe green lights rather than blue?

With green light it will look like a romulan bird of prey interior - even better than federation shuttle :) :p

Back