buying a new ship makes you lose your active missions?

R

risk

subj - is this deliberate or am i doing something wrong?

-rsk

unforunately this is a flaw in some of mission codes...
just choose which ship you want before you accept missions ;-)

remember in the original you'd have to sell your whole ship and re-equip a new one to trade ships...at least you can switch here...

if it's a plot mission just talk to the fixer again

on the other hand...
i had a mission where i had to carry some cargo to a planet, delivered it there but the mission didn't recognized me on the planet and wouldn't finish.
so i was lucky to read about this bug ;-)

hellcatv said:
remember in the original you'd have to sell your whole ship and re-equip a new one to trade ships...at least you can switch here...

The way it is handled now is, if you ask me, actually a bad thing. It means that you can't "trade in" your old ship to defray the cost of a new one. You have to have the full cost up front. Not only that, but the game uses speech from Privateer that explicitly says that you will get the value of your old ship when you buy a new one.

Changing functionality is one thing, but a basic user interface law is you don't tell the user something is one way when its another way. Keeping original Privateer speech shouldn't be more important than game accuracy.

An easy way to fix this is to allow trade-ins as an option. When you attempt to buy a ship and only would have enough money by trading in your old one, have a dialog pop up to inform the user of this and give the user the option. It would be less than 10 lines of code.

Back