Buyable Ships

Hi all!
Hate to intrude, but as one of those working on a fan project, I can't help it.

When I joined the "Privateer: The Reckoning" mod for Freelancer team, I thought we'd be doing a true Privateer clone type of thing.
But...
Several Wing Commander ships crept into the mod simply because people had them.
Then the people who were playing the mod wanted to buy and fly them.
Well...
Currently, the "Privateer" mod has 25 player buyable/flyable ships from just about every Wing Commander game made!
I think that Privateer 2, and Prophecy are the only ones we don't have ships from, yet.

And while I'm a Privateer purist, and only play/fly as Origin intended, I've come to understand, and acknowledge, why the need for the other ships exists.
And that reason, simply put is, that it's the only way people CAN play/fly them.
Fans of the many WCU games can oft times no longer play their favorite WCU game.
I can't play Privateer on my current computer, which is why I got on the mod's team.
(And I can't wait for the remake to be finished!)
But, besides the nostalgia factor, there's always the "what-if" factor to consider.
"What if" the tables had been turned? Could I have still gotten away if I'd been flying that ship?
Or, "What If" I had that ship? Would the missions be easier?
Or, "What If" I had that ship? Could I make more money than I can now?

One of the main problems with Fan Projects is that it's not out to make money.
It's out to give the FAN's a new, and different, experience in the Universe that they all enjoy so much.
And since we couldn't fly military craft in the original Privateer, shouldn't it at least be an option in a fan project?

Maybe I'm wrong?

They can do all that and more in the WC Universe project. Privateer remake should stay true to the original.

Lynx said:
They can do all that and more in the WC Universe project. Privateer remake should stay true to the original.
Well, our Privateer: The Reckoning mod for Freelancer follows the WC Universe format.
And while I'd love to see the Privateer Remake stay as true to the original as possible, I won't have a heart attack if it isn't.

The fact that it's being called a Remake, and not simply some fan project, like our Freelancer mod, should, in-and-of-itself, limit it to the parameters of the original game.
After all, one of the primary reasons for doing a remake, and not an off-the-wall project, is to allow those who can no longer play the original, to do so.

But, that's me.

Lynx said:
I think that about sums up all the complaints people could have about buyable ships and that kind of stuff. This project labeled itself a Privateer Remake, but then some changes here and there start happening, changes which are common in other fan projects... which wouldn't be bad, if it wasn't still using too much stuff straight from Privateer. :p

IMHO the people in charge of the project should either have considered more carefully what it was they were going to build before they started doing so, or restricted all these changes to a bare minimum. If this is a Privateer Remake, someone should have set the features in stone long ago - circa 1993 - and if liberties are going to be taken for no reason other than "fans want to...", this should have been made into a proper original fan project. Set it in a different place, during a different time, with a different plot, and give it a different name... there you go, new game that can be altered to your heart's desire. Why do you people think we went through all the trouble of writing a storyline from scratch instead of just borrowing from WC2? We wanted to fly bloody Stilettos off of a Tarawa-lookalike, for crying out loud! :p

Sol Sector, 2659, you're John Smith, and due to this or that, you can buy Scimitars and Draymans = a-ok. Enigma Sector, 2667, you're Christopher Blair, and you've decided to use a Tarsus for your patrol mission today = mess-up. ;) That first example is a original fan project. The second example is neither a remake, nor an original game.

I'm sure everyone knows the story of at least one arcade game marketed as a serious simulator, resulting in the game bombing and failing to appeal to either type of player (Novalogic, anyone? :p).

We did that Eder...didn't you hear that we announced only the 4 original ships to be buyable when a player starts off...

though we can offer ship packs for those who want to violate the original (gasp!)

personally I don't care one way or another...cus I'm the coder and can give myself a stiletto without a second thought

just seems as if half the people here would sneeze a brick if for some reason there was *gasp* another ship in the game... and I didn't want any more nasal injuries

personally I'd be just as happy if all the ships were buyable from the ship computer

hellcatv said:
We did that Eder...didn't you hear that we announced only the 4 original ships to be buyable when a player starts off...
Well, last I heard, you were going to have a "faithful" remake version, and an alternate mod for those who wanted changes made - which is what I was referring to on my post... if you're going to go through the trouble of making two versions of the game, you guys might've as well made it an all-original thing.

Edit: I was also addressing some of the points I've seen people make in this discussion, which seems to have been going on for forever... but I'm not really sure who's part of your staff and who isn't, so I might have been mostly preaching to the choir. :p

that's what I was saying..we were going to make it all original and have a ship pack...
sure it's less trouble not to make the ship pack--that's why we haven't made it yet

but it's crazy easy
it's about a ten line patch applied to a 100 line file

Oh please - this is a remake; everything from the original is there. IF you can buy more ships than you could before, who cares? You don't have to.

Everyone has the right to play the game as they want to. I just completed all of the plot missions with a Demon. I thought it was pretty fun, and that's all that matters - I had fun.

kilrathi ships available at Tri'Pakh

Perry - Ragnarok - Blockade Point Alpha - Tri'Pakh

???? - 1.6 M
Gothri - 2.5 M
Kamekh - 8 M

Back