Bug Rpt: Configure button not working

so if that's what it says

you have to be able to do
telnet 127.0.0.1 4364
until that works you can't get music
the most common reason for not being able to telnet to localhost (127.0.0.1)
is that you have a firewall
make sure soundserver.exe is running in the taskmanager...then try telnetting again.

it used to use winamp to play music
now it uses soundserver.exe and a connection to localhost

soundserver.exe is running in the task manager.
telnet 127.0.0.1 4364 cannot connect.
Windows XP/SP1....there are no firewalls in the taskbar.

Wait a minute...this is a stand alone pc, no network stuff setup - this is not the pc I am typing on now. Do I have to install tcp/ip or some other network connection to get this to work? In order for that telnet command to work? I can ping 127.0.0.1 but I can't telnet to it.....

as long as you can ping 127.0.0.1 then you should be able to connect
you can run cmd then type
ipconfig /all
it should list your own computer as 127.0.0.1
Windows XP firewall doesn't show up in the task bar...it's setup automatically after a while...and does block programs that are not "trusted by microsoft" as if that'd actually help malicious programs. You probably have to go to
Start|Settings|Control Panel||Network and Internet Connections| Windows Firewall
and turn it off briefly while you run the test...
(it says not recommeded..but as long as your unplugged from the network you should be safe... otherwise briefly to run the test should be fine)
in general you should be able to CONFIGURE the firewall to allow connections from YOUR OWN COMPUTER! (stupid microsoft)
You can also go to the exceptions tab and add a program (namely soundserver.exe)
or add a port (namely 4364) 4364 is asci for vega, the program that uses soundserver.exe as well (4 looks like an upside dwon v)

I'm running sp/1, I cannot find a 'Windows Firewall' anywhere.

When I type ipconfig /all it just says 'Windows IP configuration'

gosh I have service pack 2...
you really should upgrade... sp1 has a ton of security flaws... might as well do that to begin with? that way we can work with a machine that has the same software at least...

the soundserver.exe is a very simple program... opens up a port on 4364...listens for incoming connections... When some program connects (usually vegastrike) plays whataever file those incoming connections request...and sends 'e' when the song finishes... no magic going on there... but until your computer can receive a connection on localhost(127.0.0.1) it won't work.

another thing you can try is setting up some internet adapter... and connecting to that IP address...unfortunately I think 127.0.0.1 is hardcoded in the privateer remake source

When I tried to install SP2 it made my c:\ drive unreadable. Not just for Privateer - I had to reload the OS! That's why I've been gone a few days.

Good news is, with a clean OS and SP2 music works fine.

Thanks to all for your help!

-M

Hey don't go around thanking me for telling you to upgrade, rendering your c:\ unreadable.

Though I'd be willing to wager it was spyware that caused c:\ to become unreadable. I deal with people every day in the dorm who complain of similar problems... I wish microsoft did their part properly...though I think SP2 is a step in the right direction, with the newest set of vulnerabilities it's a nightmare and a half

make sure to run windows update every 3 days! :) and good luck.
Let us know if anything else is broken or amiss in the remake

Back