Bug Rpt: Configure button not working

MBNX01

Spaceman
I just dloaded this last night and I'm amazed at what has been done here - this must have been an incredible amount of work!

I have no music in the game, so I went to the launcher and tried to click the configuration button. When I do that.....nothing happens. When I first installed the game I selected 'All Music'.

I'm running WinXP, if anyone has any suggestions for editing the config file manually to fix the music problem I'd be greatful for and help!

Thanks.

try disabling the firewall

Music may not work if you have your firewall set to reject connections from localhost (127.0.0.1)

This is the easiest cross-platform (mac,lin,win) way to establish interprocess communication short of writing files to the drive...

disable your firewall--see if music sounds--if so, fix your firewall--else we look further

Also: sounds may waste another audio channel for your soundcard--if you have but a single channel on your ancient sound card it may not work in addition to the sound FX

Also run the setup program from the start menu--it doesn't work from the launcher--the launcher is anyway a bit dated

We will remove the launcher from the final version methinks

Thanks for the quick response and the good suggestions. You are correct, the configuration setup works fine from the Start menu.

I have a dedicated game/personal pc not connected to the internet, so no firewall. I'm running XP/SP1, so I checked to see if Windows had setup one I didn't know was there and couldn't find anything (help, security).

I can play the midi files fine in file manager. When I installed first setup the game I think I had 'Linux sound', but then went back and fixed it. I wonder if there is something in the registry or a config file somewhere that's not getting updated?

-M

Just to follow up on something Hellcat mentioned, what soundcard do you have? Hard to imagine a soundcard in this day and age with but a single channel, but one never knows ;)

Also, can you get other file types to play? Edit one of the .m3u (playlist) files and put some .oggs in there in place of the midis. It would be interesting to know if those worked where midis don't, this has been the case for a few people IIRC.

I have a usb soundblaster Audigy 2 NX, 24 bit soundcard.

I'm not familiar with a .oggs file format. Is that something that can replace the midis? Is there a converter, or perhaps there are some I can download for a test?

-M

MamiyaOtaru said:
Just to follow up on something Hellcat mentioned, what soundcard do you have? Hard to imagine a soundcard in this day and age with but a single channel, but one never knows ;)

Also, can you get other file types to play? Edit one of the .m3u (playlist) files and put some .oggs in there in place of the midis. It would be interesting to know if those worked where midis don't, this has been the case for a few people IIRC.

Unregistered said:
I have a usb soundblaster Audigy 2 NX, 24 bit soundcard.

I'm not familiar with a .oggs file format. Is that something that can replace the midis? Is there a converter, or perhaps there are some I can download for a test?

-M
The extension is .ogg I pluralized it by calling them oggs :) It is loike mp3, only with slightly better quality and is open source. When you get some, edit the .m3u files to point to the oggs instead of the midis and see if any play. Log in and check your PMs.

How can I get some .ogg files to test with? I've been googling for ten minutes and I keep coming up with ogg utilities for sale or mp3's for download.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

-M

MamiyaOtaru said:
The extension is .ogg I pluralized it by calling them oggs :) It is loike mp3, only with slightly better quality and is open source. When you get some, edit the .m3u files to point to the oggs instead of the midis and see if any play. Log in and check your PMs.

I finally found an .ogg test file. But how do I 'edit the 'm3u' files to point to the ogg file? I do not know what an m3u file is, when I found them they appear to be some sort of media file, not a text file I can edit. Sorry to be so inexperience with this stuff, but there it is.

I tried renaming one of the m3u's out of the way, then renamed the .ogg file to that name - game crashes on startup. When I renamed them back....game still crashes on startup.

-M

If you logged in and checked your PMs as requested, I had given you a link to some privateer music in ogg format so you didn't have to go looking ;)

.m3u files open up in media player or winamp by default, true. They are playlist files, containing a list of media files to be played. That list of files is indeed text. Open notepad and drag an m3u file onto it and you'll see what I mean ;)

I dloaded the 58 .ogg files and unzipped them into the music directory. As you described, I used notepad the edit some (but not all) of the m3u files and did a replace all from 'mid' to 'ogg'.

I did this for the agricultural, mining, and a few others. Then I started the game, left the mining base and went to the agricultural planet - still no music.

I'm running XP/SP1, no firewall that I can see. I used to have zonealarm but I shut it down a long time ago. I'm using a SB Audigy 2 usb, a pretty hi-end soundcard.

The mid and ogg files all play fine in Windows media player.

I certainly appreciate all your help. But I'm still stuck here. Am I the only one having no music problems? I will try anything I can - this remake is a really wonderful project... how many times have I wished some company would just remake this game rather than making all the bad games they do!!!

-M

MamiyaOtaru said:
If you logged in and checked your PMs as requested, I had given you a link to some privateer music in ogg format so you didn't have to go looking ;)

.m3u files open up in media player or winamp by default, true. They are playlist files, containing a list of media files to be played. That list of files is indeed text. Open notepad and drag an m3u file onto it and you'll see what I mean ;)

try running soundserver.exe
then telnet 127.0.0.1 4364
then type
p/path/to/some.ogg
v10
see if you hear anything

that's what the game does under the covers--uses the soundserver as a music player

to run telnet go to start|run

I open a dos prompt to c:\program files\vegastrike\privateer\bin
Then I type 'soundserver' and hit enter
Then I type telnet 127.0.0.1 4364 and hit enter
It replies 'could not open connection to the host 127.0.0.2 on port 4364, connect failed.

Have I done this right? Does this tell us anything? Again, I really appreciate all this help.

-M

Oops, typo in my last post. Of course the reply was 'could not open connection to the host 127.0.0.1 on port 4364'. The .0.0.2 was a typo on my part.

the soundserver should start up...and block the console
you need to open up another console

paste the output of the console you can do this by clicking on the top left corner and then clicking on mark then select what you want to copy
then click the top left corner of the console and click edit copy
then paste it here

I'm sorry, but I don't know what 'Open up another console' means.

You mean open another dos box? 'Paste the output of the console'...what output? When I type 'soundserver'...nothing happens.

What is the output of the console?

hmm ahh you're right... I forgot that in windows it doesn't paste the output... (only does in unix)
it should store the relevant output in
soundserver_stdout.txt and soundserver_stderr.txt
:) those files are in the bin\ directory

There is a soundserver_stdout.txt in the .bin directory.

It says:
Current path c:\program files\vegastrike\privateer\bin
final path c:\program files\vegastrike\privateer
using .privateer as the home directory
opened audio at 44100 hz 16 bit stereo 4096 bytes audio buffer

-That all sounds good, but still no music....

Wait a minute - in the vegastrike.config.temp there is a line about 'use external music player=true', then something about winamp.

I don't have winamp. Can I just set that to '=false' or do I have to go get winamp?

M

Back