Bug/Error report. (Sort of long, but not flaming)

Devon_v

Spaceman
First off, I want to say to everyone involved in this project; Thank you! To have Privateer not only running again, but enhanced, is a wonderful gift that has made my day, even if I did have to download it twice on a 28.8.

That said, I am a bugtester, and I cannot help but notice bugs, and be filled with a burning desire to report them. :) The following report may not be as specific as I'd like, but I WAS trying to enjoy the game more than take notes.

These are the result of my initial two play sessions. I am on WindowsXP at 1024x768 resolution with 640MB of RAM (actually 768) and everything turned as high as it goes.

Text Errors/Bugs:

The lines of description of several items and ships pertaining to performance characteristics, turning rates notably, tend to go off the side of the screen at 1024x768.

Any mention of a Talon class fighter tends to be followed by the suffix "blank". Seems like this is sub-class data not meant to be printed.

Cargo mission descriptions on the mission computer seem to omit the destination base, only specifiying the system.

On Patrol Missions, mining and refinery bases are not identified by name, but simply as "Merchant's Mining Base". In systems like Troy this is annoying.

The unique locations have both a name and a class, which is in some cases identical. This is especially noticeable with New Constantinople, which wraps around the text display due to the length of repeating it.

Names are interpreted differently by different parts of the game. Most text treats the underscore character as a space, but certain displays, particularly the mission screen, show them as underscores. The cockpit MFD strips them out completely and just runs the words together. Notably however, the MFD does not strip single quotes, while all other displays do, thus "Hind's Variable N" becomes "HindsVariableN" in most displays, but "Hinds Variable N" in the mission log.

"Detroit" is not capitalized on most displays.

Many of the alpha-numeric systems only have the first letter capitalized; I think they are all supposed to be. (Original used an all-caps font as I recall.)

On the comm MFD, you have nothing to say to several worlds. Dialogue to planets and bases appears to be based on faction as if they were spacecraft, rather than the base-specific dialogue from the original.

The text dialogue at the Mercenaries' Guild when you cannot afford the signing fee does not come anywhere close to what the actor says. Niether does the text if you can. The same goes for the Merchants' Guild. I think the text is from the disk version rather than the CD version.

The singular and plural of "Cat" appear to be crossed in the text generator. It will say things like "A large kilrathi strike force enguaged a squadron of bounty hunters in Surtur. The cat gave the hunters a serious fight..." and then generate missions like "Shoot a Cats". Some other singular/plural sets seem questionable in certain dialogues as well.

The manual is inaccurate on a few things. Most notably, ECMs do not drain power and cannot be turned off, and attempting to change sound or music volume (the music defaults too loud compared to the sound effects) does nothing. (The latter may be an issue with the Windows source.)

Graphical errors/tweaks:

The animation speed of almost all objects in interior scenes seems slower than it should be. It may very well be absolutely all, but I haven't been to every type of base yet. The animations look stuttered as a result. While the current speed resembles what I used to get on my 386, I once got the game running on a P1, and the interior animations were noticeably faster, resulting in a much smoother appearance.

When my radar system was damaged, everthing EXCEPT my radar display went static. (That is, my shield and hull readouts, my fuel gauge, etc.) This persisted for the rest of that session, even after repairing the radar.

The ship dealer doesn't animate. I sort of miss that.

New Constantinople spins. All of the interior artwork supports this, but the exterior model is stationary. I realize it was like that in the original, but that was due to technology limitations. (It's also worth noting that, assuming NC spins to generate artificial gravity, the internal gravity is at right angles to what it should be. Considering the existance of inertial compensators, which are obviously in effect on NC and in all starcraft, there really is no reason to spin the station at all. I guess OSI just thought it looked cool at the time.)

Same as above, but applied to the refinery station.

The model for the jump node is utterly motionless, while the orignials were in a state of flux. There appear to exist a set of animated textures for the jumpnode in the game data, but they are not used.

The jump animation needs to move towards the ship a little slower than it does when flying a Tarsus. (Or simply stop before reaching the center of the ship) It covers the screen completely at a good point in the system transition, but it slips passed the viewpoint about a half-second before the transition is complete, allowing the abrupt cut from one system to another to be viewed. Seems fine in a Centurion, haven't flown the other ships.

Explosions do not appear consistantly when a craft is destroyed. The burst explosion also rarely plays all of its frames even when it does appear. The very first craft destroyed in a session appears to explode properly, but every subsequent craft gets worse until the explosion barely plays at all.

I don't see any specular highlights on craft even though they should be enabled according to my settings. The craft are reflective, and look nice in "busy" systems, but do not display any specular gleam effects.

Your craft is off kilter on the New Detroit landing pad. Looks like it's tipped too far to the right. The same is true on Oxford, only tipped the opposite way.

On the nav computer, the icons for bases and jump points are excessively large and clutter the display.

Getting more nit-picky here, but the craft do not have landing gear for their appearances in the various interior scenes. Not saying that the model geometry needs to be altered, but perhaps mark attatchment points for a generic landing gear model? A low priority, non-concern for sure, but it would be a nice touch at some point.

Does something about VegaStrike prevent displaying hull damage for all four facings? It might be important to know in some cases, such as attacking capitol ships.

The mass driver round should probably be a bitmap sprite, not the white glowing thingy that it is. In fact, the original MD sprite from Privateer would suit it just fine.

Sound errors/tweaks:

Sometimes the afterburner sound does not play.

Sometimes enemy dialogue will not play. (Referring to existing Privateer dialogue, not new material)

Dead enemies continue speaking. Cutting Retros off in the middle of a sermon used to be fun. :)

Missiles use the ship explosion SFX rather than the missile explosion SFX.

The jump sequence is completely silent. This is at odds with Privateer and WC3, 4 and 5.

The landing and jump musics are completely absent. The landing music should trigger about 6,000 clicks out from a planet/base according to the original.

Design bugs/tweaks:

I took on a mission to ferry construction out to a base. I also perchased all of the remaining constuction on the planet, which was added to my mission cargo rather than remaining seperate from it. After completing the mission, only the three actual mission cargo units were removed from my ship, but I was payed many times more than the mission should have been worth. (Mission was for about 10,000 I think, and I got paid over 100,000)

Killing a mere 17 pirates made me best friends with everyone except the Retros. Why did the Kilrathi care? :) Also, even with 100 reputation, the Militia still gave me neutral dialogues ("Stick to established lanes for your own good." and such) rather than the friendlier dialogues. Overall though, I would say that this was entirely too fast. Getting into the universe's good graces should be harder than that.

Collision damage seems drastically reduced. My shields can take full speed hits from an asteroid (used to be instant death if you were going more than about 400KPS) and Talons just seem to bounce off rather than splatter like they used to.

I can turn my turret 180 into my own hull and fire. There should be some restraints on their movement.

Contraband searches take forever. I got a request to maintain speed and course, so I waited a good thirty seconds, never got the all clear, so I autoed out to a jump node and just as I was about to enter, the militia comes on with "No contraband detected. You may proceed." Although the check was a little too quick in the original, this seems too long. Also, shouldn't they have interpreted my heading for the node as a criminal action? The manual implied that they would.

It seems to be impossible to sustain any serious ship damage. Part of the balance of the original was the cost of those damn maneouvrering jets, or the possiblity of weapon malfunction. It certainly made the repair droid a more valuable add-on. Addendum: I managed to get trashed badly enough to lose a weapon, in addition to the repair droid, which was a nice touch. Still kind of miss taking damage to the jets though.

The first tier radars have lockon capability, rendering the second tier completely useless.

The Mercenaries' Guild rarely offers missions more lucrative than the mission computer. This is probably due to the mission computer offering signifigantly more than six missions at a time, while the MG still only offers four.

If you attempt to take a trade mission without sufficient cargo space, it dissapears completely from the list with no feedback as to why.

I miss the in-character menues for the commodity exchange, mission computer, and ship dealer. The new menu design is great, but is there any way to make each unique like the guilds instead of one generic menu design?

I really miss the takeoff and landing sequences. Is there any way to script these back in?

Does VegaStrike simply disallow the concept of specific projectile launchers? I miss being able to mount two guns and a tractor beam on the Tarsus. (Without paying an arm and a leg)

The ship dealer still says that you can use your old ship for trade in, but that is no longer the case, correct?

The price of the Orion is now 125,000 credits, but the ship dealer still says it costs 75,000.

Draymans have no turrets. While I cannot remember any on the NPC draymans in the original, according to the prologue, they do infact mount a number of turrets. The number seems to be at least three, (Johansen, Hank and the Privateer were manning turrets) but given the size of the ship compared to a Galaxy, it should probably be closer to five or six. As is, their cargo space is impressive, though perhaps a little overkill for cargo use. As a carrier or ship stealer, they are interesting, but totally reliant on fighter support. Given their near-nil turning capibilities, I don't see how a drayman could hit anything short of another drayman without a turret. That said, the ship in the prologue has vastly superior handling to a stock drayman, and possibly isn't one at all. (Though if it isn't, I want to buy a Scarab-class, not a dinky drayman. ;) )

Afterburners seem to continue to fire even after you run out of energy, rather than sputtering as they did in the original. This allows you to run heavy shields at full power without losing afterburner capability. Getting to that perfect point of balancing the generator recharge rate with the afterburner consumption was part of the game.

Part two, post too long.

Misc:

The game spat out a little over a megabyte of errors in the log files, yet it appeared to run smoothly. Second time I ran it, it was close to 4MB. I presume these are just debug logs, and not indications of actual problems, since I can't say that I had any.

Future thoughts:

How about bump mapping? Bump mapping is quite easy, and produces fantastic results. It would really bring some of those models to life. If the system already supports bump mapping, I'll probably do this myself.

Do all of the models support a lightmap material like Oxford and Detroit? That's something else I'd probably do, add running lights to the various craft and stations that stand out in the darkness.

I realize that this is suppossed to be a faithful recreation, but since certain elements have already been made in non-compliance with the orignial (Mission computer, Auto Repair Curcuit, Jumpdrive for 9,000Cr, Orion for 125,000cr, RF tech before beating the Drone, etc) I would hope that a few more minor changes would not be ruled out on general principles, such as the option for improvements to the drayman.

--

Prioritize them as you like, I just call what I see. Once I've gotten over the initial period of bliss, I'll probably start looking into what I can fix or tweak. To prevent this post from seeming too negative, I'll also comment on what I loved.

Neat Stuff:

Talons fly like talons. That was the first thing I noticed. Their angle of attack, how they turn, when they turn, the way they go evasive, it's perfect. I never thought the flight characteristics would be recreated so accurately.

The faithfully recreated cockpits. All the little details I remember are still there. Except the keyboard on the Tarsus is flat. :)

At first I was turned off by the new asteroid fields, I felt that the whole point of having to slow down had been lost, but it's actually better now because they don't always spawn in front of you, you can get blind sided.

STATS! In game statistics, so I can actually make an informed desicion without a strategy guide.

Flavor text! I love flavor text. Especially for the games cargo. :)

Profit info at the commodity exchange. No more scratchpad and pen while playing! :)

The dynamic music. It was great in the original, and I'm glad its importance was recognized.

Privateer! It's Privateer again, and it looks so sweet.

Devon_v said:
When my radar system was damaged, everthing EXCEPT my radar display went static. (That is, my shield and hull readouts, my fuel gauge, etc.) This persisted for the rest of that session, even after repairing the radar.
The static is hull damage and doesn't neccessariyl have anything to with your radar. Purchase (Basic Repari" at the ship dealer to fix it.

On the nav computer, the icons for bases and jump points are excessively large and clutter the display.
Use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

The ship dealer still says that you can use your old ship for trade in, but that is no longer the case, correct?
Sort of; you can own multiple ships in the remake. If you want to do a trade-in, simply buy your new ship, sell off everything on your old ship, and sell your old ship from the My Fleet section.

Draymans have no turrets. While I cannot remember any on the NPC draymans in the original, according to the prologue, they do infact mount a number of turrets. The number seems to be at least three, (Johansen, Hank and the Privateer were manning turrets) but given the size of the ship compared to a Galaxy, it should probably be closer to five or six. As is, their cargo space is impressive, though perhaps a little overkill for cargo use. As a carrier or ship stealer, they are interesting, but totally reliant on fighter support. Given their near-nil turning capibilities, I don't see how a drayman could hit anything short of another drayman without a turret. That said, the ship in the prologue has vastly superior handling to a stock drayman, and possibly isn't one at all. (Though if it isn't, I want to buy a Scarab-class, not a dinky drayman. ;) )
Big thread on that here.

It seems to be impossible to sustain any serious ship damage. Part of the balance of the original was the cost of those damn maneouvrering jets, or the possiblity of weapon malfunction. It certainly made the repair droid a more valuable add-on. Addendum: I managed to get trashed badly enough to lose a weapon, in addition to the repair droid, which was a nice touch. Still kind of miss taking damage to the jets though.
Damage? http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/gallery/vegastrike_mod/damage

Wow... quite a list there. I too greatly miss the landing/jumping transitions and if you find a way to make them play let me know

Hi Devon_v!

The base screens are no one-file animations anymore. They consist of many single .png images displayed in a specific order.

Because they were captured with a frequency of one pic per second (at least i think) the scenes appear a little bit slowish....

Pliers :D

JKeefe said:

Still some "damage skins" (exterior or/and in cockpit) would be nice or if my ship would act more like it's seriously damaged. What are the damage effects currently, only display static and broken radar? :) Well I guess the only missing thing from the original are damaged thrusters that made steering ship awfully painful...

Biggest gripe for me is still the way in which wingmen behave. No nice formations, always falling behind during autopilot so that I'll have to wait for them and they usually aren't there to help me in time because they have some major difficulties using jump points too.

Kinda funny reading this.
Devon_v's comments are, for the most part, the same things I heard when I was working on the "Privateer: The Reckoning" mod for Freelancer.

Guess it's all the hardest stuff to get exactly right.

Devon_v, think of it this way: the original Privateer didn't even have wingmen, so whatever you get is better than that. :)

As far as damage goes, I have definitely been damaged enough to severly reduce my top speed, but not the maneuvering. It is probably a limitation of the Vegastrike engine.

JKeefe said:
Guess it's all the hardest stuff to get exactly right.

Devon_v, think of it this way: the original Privateer didn't even have wingmen, so whatever you get is better than that. :)

As far as damage goes, I have definitely been damaged enough to severly reduce my top speed, but not the maneuvering. It is probably a limitation of the Vegastrike engine.

I never said anything about wingmen. :)

I love having Privateer back, and none of this is interfering with my enjoyment of the game, (okay, partially untrue, the explosion bug bothers me) its just that I report bugs, because having worked on a large project with a sizable user base, I know that alot of people do not, but expect you to fix them anyway. I realize that any inaccuracies are probably caused by VegaStrike, but just in case they were overlooked, I make mention of them.

For the record, *I* do not miss the landing/take-off/jumping clips. Nice the first time, otherwise just a waste of time -- lemme fly! I do like the new jumping sequence because you can fly around during it and be attacked or attack someone jumping out. ;P Plus the "Coattail Jumping" technique is just fun. =)

--Diavo

It was all about immersion for me. It sort of got me into the game more to have those sequences because without them you are just kind of skipping from one scene to another. The new jumping effect isnt bad, but it'd be cooler if it did the starwars kind of jump where the stars all streak by. Right now it's kinda strange.

just somthing

I agree with most of the mentiond problems

BUT

my only real problem is that it feels much to easy to journey through space, pirates and such should go after me if I got some cargo, but I can wizz by them with afterburner thingys, I remember it being harder to get through space on original privateer

NOTE: I'm on a 56k and am still waiting for my download to come in of 1.0, so mabe this is fixed

I shouldn't have to blow up ships of most factions so I get attacked while traveling

perhaps afterburners should give out when youv drained your ships energy (or whatever its called) which was mentioned here already though I still havent got 1.0 yet (because a friend keeps wanting to use the net after hours)

its alot easyer to make money than original privateer but thats ok, privateer (orig) was a bit slow for financial progression but I was in aww of the game back than anyway.

another thing I would like is to have the pivateer remake community submit original space images for different sectors of space. I say this because I am quite good with adobe photoshop AND space doesn't have to look like space we see from nasa, as vega strike has already shown but it gets repetitive, perhaps this is not a large part of playing the game but. . .. . . I think it would help, perhaps we could have a contest of some sort. the images have to be original art of course, mabe instead of putting the images right into the privateer remake program, this could be an add on/mod so it would help solve legal issues mabe because with making space images you have to start somewhere. (all I'm saying is modifying exsisting images is ok as long as you mess them up enough that they can not be identified as work from the original creator that you got/borrowed the image from k)

JKeefe said:

I believe it was me who whined about that :)
I guess dummy wingmen is better than nothing but Privateer Original didn't have those "kill 25 hostiles"-types of missions either where I would have needed them ;) Hopefully these wingmen-"things" are going to be fixed/improved in the future among other "things"...

Cargo mission descriptions on the mission computer seem to omit the destination base, only specifiying the system.

I found this to be annoying until I learned that Remake does not replicate the 'mission cargo lost when you land on the wrong base' feature from the original. I took 3 cargo missions to 'base in manchester (or newcastle? whichever).' When I got in system I found that 2 went to one refinery and 1 to the other. So I land on the first base and realize that my mission cargo from the third mission is still in the manifest. I take off, fly to the other refinery, land and get paid the full mission payment. Very nice!

Very well done! Kudos to all involved!

Denon_v's list of issues covered almost everything I had noticed (and included a few I certainly had not), although there are a few I that I'm not seeing (music and sound volume works just fine).

A few other issues that I have on my, admittedly old, system (700MHz Athlon, 384MB RAM, GeForce256 DDR, SoundBlaster 128PCI - running v1.0 of the Remake):

BALANCE

Game is *way* too easy, for a number of reasons:

Money: Everyone keeps throwing money at me. E.g. a mission to map a handful of nav points one system away with possible retro encounters for over 30k. In the original, making any kind of cash trading was... tough. Here, there's plenty of dough to be made, especially with the cargo missions, which tend to pay *way* too much (considering the risk and time involved).

Storyline: This could just be me imagining things, but I seem to recall the bartenders spouting mostly useless stuff, with only the rare nugget in the original. In the remake, visit a handful of bars and you know all about alien artifacts, Roman Lynch, rogue Pirates and where to find Taya.

Jumping: It is now completely safe to jump in the middle of combat, since you can move your ship around. This "penalty" for jumping was a nice touch in the original, IMHO.

Faction: *Way* too easy to stay friends with everyone. Also, was it possible to land on a hostile base in the original?

Speed: Get a Demon with an afterburner and you'll never have to fire a single shot again. The afterburner also doesn't "stall" when you run out of energy.

Collisions: Asteroid fields and retros are now completely safe. Retros used to suicide into your ship. They still try this (or maybe I'm just imagining things), but it only does minor damage. Head first into an asteroid with a speed of 1200 only causes minimal shield damage. Asteroids were a *huge* danger in the original. All in all, a 5x bump to collision damage would be good ;-)

CONTROLS

The game does not appear to support non-US keyboard layouts. While this is remarkably similar to the original, it is one point where I think a deviation is appropriate ;-)

F9 (match target speed) does not appear to have any effect.

Mouse "jumps" the first time the cursor is moved after leaving a planet/base.

SOUND

Sound fading is completely absent for me. I.e. I hear every single missile fired, every single explosion and every single shield impacted for every single ship in the entire system. The "pling pling.... plingplingpling" hull damage sound is my favorite sound effect in a game *EVER*, but hearing it constantly from ships throughout the sector just makes it annoying.

I found an old thread about the topic (which seems to imply that there should be fading), but there is no fade for me:

http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=16707

The character voices are also sometimes very low in volume. Not often, but once in a while.

MISSIONS

Missions to explorer multiple nav points gives a random number not at all connected with the actual number of points the mission survey lists. For example, I have taken numerous 7-9 nav point missions that only required 4-5 points surveyed. This could be because the systems in question did not have more than 4-5 *features* in the first place (so mapping more would require the addition of temporary nav points).

When meeting a character while flying in the game, 17 lines of dialogue appears instantly and the guy starts shooting at you. If the VegaStrike engine allows it, letting the dialogue develop over a period of time (as in the original) would be greatly preferable.

MISC

I now have a faction rating of 2.5e-00599 with the militia. Perhaps a type int would be appropriate?

fyodor said:
Sound fading is completely absent for me. I.e. I hear every single missile fired, every single explosion and every single shield impacted for every single ship in the entire system. The "pling pling.... plingplingpling" hull damage sound is my favorite sound effect in a game *EVER*, but hearing it constantly from ships throughout the sector just makes it annoying.

Fading seems to work OK here what comes to gun sounds, but I can hear every shield impact and explosion no matter what the distance. Apparently those sounds are handled somehow differently for some reason?

Acimus said:
Fading seems to work OK here what comes to gun sounds, but I can hear every shield impact and explosion no matter what the distance. Apparently those sounds are handled somehow differently for some reason?

Just to clarify: Like you, I'm not hearing gun-firing sounds. Just hits (shield, armor and hull), missiles firing and all explosions.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. (Which is kinda selfish, I guess!)

fyodor said:
Game is *way* too easy, for a number of reasons:

Some aspects make it more difficult, I find. In the original, I could fill my cargo to the brim and still take cargo missions on top. Say, I was in Troy, so I accumulated Uranium and Plutonium until my cargo was 100% full, then took out 3 cargo missions to New Detroit on top of my full cargo, and I'd make like 50 to 100 K in one trip.

And I find the fighting against some ships considerably harder. Faster ships in the original, like the common kilrathi ship, and the fast ship the hunters fly (not the Centurion, I mean the one that looks like a catamaran), are even faster in Remake. I find it impossible to turn fast enough to follow them as they fly circles around me. I find this a bit annoying: one of the few things I didn't like about the original game, and now seems even worse. I wish there was a way to just turn that cheat off. Just a little bit more realism here would not hurt, IMHO.

By the way, another bug not yet reported is the missing nav point numbers in the map. Masterson says "the ship will be coming through nav 3" but there's no way to know which of the named jump points is 3, seems to me.

dan_w said:
By the way, another bug not yet reported is the missing nav point numbers in the map. Masterson says "the ship will be coming through nav 3" but there's no way to know which of the named jump points is 3, seems to me.
The Masterson, speech, like all other original speech, is simply recorded from the original game, which ha numbers for every Nav point. There should be a description in your objectives screen of where to go after you launch.

I'm seeing a few bugs in here, but mostly a lot of things that are simply different from the original, and thus not exactly bugs. Bugs are things that are broken ;)
It is still true, it is simply no longer automatic. You can use it for trade in if you shoose to sell it ;) Otherwise it remains yours.
The price of the Orion is now 125,000 credits, but the ship dealer still says it costs 75,000
I think you might be looking at the price of a fully outfitted Orion as opposed to the bare bones Orion, but I'll check and make sure.
Afterburners seem to continue to fire even after you run out of energy, rather than sputtering as they did in the original.
They do here too. If you don't have enough energy, it isn't possible to continue at max speed. Since inertia has more of an effect in vegastrike than it did in privateer, you can maintain speed a bit better than in the original, but the sputtering is still there (though it could be that the sound doesn't skip)
I can turn my turret 180 into my own hull and fire. There should be some restraints on their movement.
You could turn them 180 in the original, you just couldn't see the hull. It looks a little weird now that you can, but I prefer to keep the original arcs.
If you attempt to take a trade mission without sufficient cargo space, it dissapears completely from the list with no feedback as to why.
There is indeed feedback, but it often gets lost as more messages scroll by in the messages display. Pageup to see the old messages, and you will see something telling you there was not enough room in your hold and you were thus unable to complete the mission.
Does something about VegaStrike prevent displaying hull damage for all four facings? It might be important to know in some cases, such as attacking capitol ships.
Yes. Hull strength is a single number. Armor is divided into sides, but that isn't what is shown on the damage display. Can probably be worked around at some point.
Most notably, ECMs do not drain power and cannot be turned off,
Oddly enough they can, and do. To keep it close to the original, the power drain is negligable, and it could be that there is no key bound to turning them off. If anything, it is a difference in the game from the original, and not a manual inaccuracy.
Pliers said:
The base screens are no one-file animations anymore. They consist of many single .png images displayed in a specific order.

Because they were captured with a frequency of one pic per second (at least i think) the scenes appear a little bit slowish
The problem with the animations i sthey are running at a slower FPS. There are no missing frames, they are just too slow :) Easy to fix, but no one ever got to it. Something to look at for a patch.

Back