BREAKING NEWS: Is Wing Commander Poised To Make a Comeback? (September 28, 2010)

Dosbox on the other hand, well it usually needs tweaking to the PC's own specs, so I don't know if it'll work for everybody without lots of technical tinkering.
A plain installation on DOSbox 0.73 works without any such tinkering for WC1, WC2, and Privateer, at the very least. On a computer with hardware from 2003, too.

It would be nice to see Wing Commander available for fans as downloads. Since WC1 thru WC3 all use DOS, those are the versions that would have a benefit from a configured DOSBox.

I'm actually most excited about the spinoffs. In all honesty it's pretty easy to get Wing Commander I today (I played it on a PSP before I got out of bed this morning!)... but there's all sorts of "lesser" games no one has played: Academy, Armada, Privateer... even Wing Commander 2, which was nowhere near as widely ported/relreleased as WC1, would be great.

Thats pretty exciting news.
I would love to play some of the games I missed, like Academy and Armada.

For some reason, I can't seem to get WC2 Deluxe to install in Dosbox, I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will post in the technical section, but from my point of view, a direct to drive solution packaged dosbox as a click and go would be really good.

Yes, the idea is to make it a single-click-to-run experience. You bundle together an installed/configured copy of the game with an instance of DOSBox that's pre-set for the game into a single installer (along with any bonus features you can include... we had some big plans for this but it looks like it may release before a lot of them are ready). In the end you run the installer and then you have a shortcut to Wing Commander that 'just works'.

A plain installation on DOSbox 0.73 works without any such tinkering for WC1, WC2, and Privateer, at the very least. On a computer with hardware from 2003, too.

Yeah, if you haven't tried the latest DOSBox builds, they're very impressive. DOSBox 0.74 requires virtually no setup or tweaking - not even for the speed/cycles. This, bundled with the built-in installer for the game, makes it even easier to install and play than even the KS PC Gamer release. You'll be able to go from download to spaceflight in just seconds.

I don't think he was saying you didn't.

Pete bundled WC1 with 0.74 for this release, if anyone is interested in that sort of thing.

I wonder how they will plan to release the manuals and blueprints? They are an integral part of the WC lore after all.

On that note, I wouldn't mind too much if they leave the copy protection questions intact. That makes it an incentive for newcomers to RTFM :)

I wonder how they will plan to release the manuals and blueprints? They are an integral part of the WC lore after all.

On that note, I wouldn't mind too much if they leave the copy protection questions intact. That makes it an incentive for newcomers to RTFM :)

The idea right now is to include PDFs of the manuals and such with the package. We'll just have to wait and see if they actually make it into the release or not. I sure hope so.

The idea right now is to include PDFs of the manuals and such with the package. We'll just have to wait and see if they actually make it into the release or not. I sure hope so.

Magic 8 ball is telling me "Prospects look good"

this is all very interesting...now would the re-release be a downloadable content...or an actual shrink wrapped package....:)

So am I right in thinking that this particular effort relates only to a rerelease of a WC1 with dosbox package, but not specifically more of the series?

So am I right in thinking that this particular effort relates only to a rerelease of a WC1 with dosbox package, but not specifically more of the series?

WC1 is the first planned. Depending on how this goes, most of the old Origin DOS catalogue will probably get similar releases... not necessarily for free, but they'll work the same way. A prepackaged installer that creates a shortcut to the game that "just runs."

Back