Bragging rights . . .

Viper61

Spaceman
Ok boys and girls, it's time to see who has the biggest set of brass ones . . .

I recently rebooted The Kilrathi saga and played WC1 and SM1 and 2 (I usually play them in series) from start to finish. I racked up a nice number of total kills. I was going to give everyone the opportunity to post their best records for any of the series. ( I can only post WC1 +SM1&2 because of a reformat) :)

WC1 + SM1 + SM2:

Bluehair
Rank - Lt. Col
Medals - Medal of Honor, 6 Bronze stars, 2 Silver Stars and 6 Gold Stars

Confirmed Kills - 485

There's nothing wrong with a little showing off, is there fellas?

forgive me if im wrong but im pretty sure that theres over 300 kills available in wc1 alone, not counting the sm's; still, ill dig out my old saves and tell u :D

You're forgiven. The maximum possible number of kills you can earn in the original Wing Commander is 223 (including the final mission).

It depends heavily on which course you take. If you straight through the only-winning missions, IIRC the max. kill score in WC1 is about 160 (excluding SM1&2). Of course, if you fly the missions in the Rostov system with Iceman because you failed to save the Ralari you get a higher score.

Why does everyone think that kills are the most important aspect of combat flying? 'Tis why I like the system that WCP uses -- you get credit for accuracy, lack of damage, mission accomplishment, etc. As far as I'm concerned, the success of shooting down 10 enemy craft is rather lessened when you return in a fighter that has to be scrapped because it's so badly shot up.

Kills ain't all what makes the world go 'round...

My bragging rights...

I successfuly completed the Wing Commander Armada gauntlet (only later did I findout that there is a patch to add passwords!!ARGH)

How many people can say that?!:cool:

Re: My bragging rights...

Originally posted by Corsair(pilot)
I successfuly completed the Wing Commander Armada gauntlet (only later did I findout that there is a patch to add passwords!!ARGH)

How many people can say that?!:cool:

I can say that too!

Playing through the WC1 game again gave me a renewed respect for the venerable Raptor fighter. I really don't like the Rapier in either WC1 or WC2. The Raptor was a kilrathi killing machine, great shields and decent armor with just the right guns and missle complement? It had no equal in WC1. I made most of my kills in a Raptor. I finished SM2 (again) a couple nights ago, had 26 kills on one mission ( in the Raptor) and not a bit of armor plating lost, still packing an IFF, and my wingman in one piece. Getting your machine home in one piece is a big concern (mainly cause your in it), and your wingman and any charges you may have (transports, etc.) must be protected, but what's the matter with getting a few chalk marks under your name on the scoreboard ? :)

Originally posted by Viper61
Playing through the WC1 game again gave me a renewed respect for the venerable Raptor fighter. I really don't like the Rapier in either WC1 or WC2. The Raptor was a kilrathi killing machine, great shields and decent armor with just the right guns and missle complement? It had no equal in WC1. I made most of my kills in a Raptor. I finished SM2 (again) a couple nights ago, had 26 kills on one mission ( in the Raptor) and not a bit of armor plating lost, still packing an IFF, and my wingman in one piece. Getting your machine home in one piece is a big concern (mainly cause your in it), and your wingman and any charges you may have (transports, etc.) must be protected, but what's the matter with getting a few chalk marks under your name on the scoreboard ? :)
I agree, the Raptor is *the* ship. There is no substitute! I also agree on not liking the Rapier.
I'm currently flying through SM2 for the first time. Did the original version also have graphics/sound bugs with the 'Flying Pancake' or is that Kilrathi Saga-only? I'm talking about hearing the canopy close/open while it visibly does nothing, and the back of the Dralthi being gone on the landing sequence.
I'm sorry for getting OT, but I don't have much to brag about, I don't keep track of my kills that well :eek:

Originally posted by Unforgiven

I'm currently flying through SM2 for the first time. Did the original version also have graphics/sound bugs with the 'Flying Pancake' or is that Kilrathi Saga-only? I'm talking about hearing the canopy close/open while it visibly does nothing, and the back of the Dralthi being gone on the landing sequence.
I'm sorry for getting OT, but I don't have much to brag about, I don't keep track of my kills that well :eek:

IIRC, in the original SM2 (i.e. non-KS version), there are no sound effects during the scramble sequence. You have music, but that's it.

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix
Why does everyone think that kills are the most important aspect of combat flying? 'Tis why I like the system that WCP uses -- you get credit for accuracy, lack of damage, mission accomplishment, etc. As far as I'm concerned, the success of shooting down 10 enemy craft is rather lessened when you return in a fighter that has to be scrapped because it's so badly shot up.

We shouldn't forget that in quite a number of missions (especially in SOPS) you get high credit only if you accomplish such tasks "Eliminate 75 % of all fighters / bombers" thus kills weighing in much.

Is no one gonna share? :( I was hoping to get some numbers so that I'd have a benchmark, the next time I ran through WC2, WC3, WC4, and Prophecy.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
As they said, the true test of skill is passing the Armada gauntlet <G>
So Armada has a single player campaign with a story? I thought of to be only some kind of "mission builder/battle creator" with a multiplayer option...
What it that "Gauntlet" you speak of?

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix

I don't see how you can say that, when if you fail the retrieve the jamming device mission you end up with a crap score, even though Stiletto retrieved the device. Why should any of the things you mentioned count, when teamwork apparently doesn't?

So Armada has a single player campaign with a story? I thought of to be only some kind of "mission builder/battle creator" with a multiplayer option...

Armada has a single player gauntlet... which is more of a mix between traditional WC storylines, and the Academy gauntlet. You fly missions from the TCS Lexington, mostly solo but occasionally with a wingman, and gradually progress from fighter to fighter. The mission briefings are VERY bare (just a computer screen that tells you "Kilrathi fighters have been detected.... bla bla bla... you will be flying the new Phantom Medium Fighter.... bla bla bla"), and there is no way to save your progress between missions. (Although, there's a patch in the files section that will give you a password after you successfuly complete each mission, allowing you to resume from there later)

It's very difficult, and few can complete the gauntlet... And even fewer can without the password patch...... MWA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..... (continues laughing cryptically...) .... i'm done now

Back