bomb crews

TurboTim07

Rear Admiral
what kind of crews does each bomber have? i know there's at least a pilot and a gunner but are there more or is that it?

Pilot, turret gunner(s), bombadier.

Gunners could be replaced by an automated rig, but it doesn't perform as well as a human gunner (from TPOF, Pliers talking about the T-bolt Blair brought with him).

I don't recall if "bombadier" was the official name for the guy who handles the torps, but that's their function (FA, ER, WCM, and probably some others I'm forgetting at the moment).

ok thanks. ummm any clue on how they would be seated in relation to each other in the Longbow? or even in relation to location in the ship? the pilot would be in the front and the gunner in the turret. but the bombadier. would he be seated behind or beside the pilot? or even somewhere in the middle of the ship?

It depends on the ship and the version of the ship. I don't recall anything about a "bombardier" on a Longbow.

As far as we know the crew of the Longbow is only two (pilot, gunner) -- but some ships do have separate bombadiers/radar officers. The Sabre-D from End Run is the famous one, but the Broadsword seems to have a 'left' seat for that purpose -- you can see it used in the movie and in various Wing Commander Academy episodes (or unused, on occasion).

I know very little about the whole gunner thing but it took me a while to get my head around there being 3 other guys in a broadsword back in the day when I was playing 2. I was also astounded at how crap they were as well. If memory serves me correctly, and I hope it does, didn't dekker start life as a gunner in a broadsword back in 2?

The only "upgraded" gunner character, as far as I can remember (which may not be very far) was Evan Bean, the barfly that Blair helps out in the beginning of WC4, who started as an enlisted turret gunner and then got a wartime commission and became a pilot.

So technically Tigers Claw old chap the character of dekker did begin life as a gunner in 2 as this was probably the first mention of the character, whichever one he was.

Um, I think you're thinking of someone else. There was no Dekker mentioned anywhere within the WC1 time period.

There was, however, Hawk, who started as part of the Claw's deck crew, then later became a pilot, but he was never a gunner.

Good thing you reminded him, he might not have checked the post directly above.

Back