Big transports

Aginor

Vice Admiral
Ok, here's another question:

What kinds of terran transport ships do we know? (especially in the WC3 era)
I'm asking because in the last few days I had the idea that it would be nice to have other transports than the Clarkson-class (that would be nice for modders/mission designers, because there are only a few big civilian ships to play with yet.)

So I thought about it:
We have transports in Privateer and Privateer 2. But I can't say how big they are.

Next question: Are there still Drayman-class, Diligent-class and Clydesdale-class transports around in 2669?
And how big are they, compared to the Clarkson-class?

And one more question in that context:
If there were more transports, are they likely to have the same modular design like the Clarkson-class and Pelican-class transports?

If yes:
I think that would be an interesting project for modelers. Imagine a transport that is, say... four times as big as a Clarkson-class ship, with four of those... steel beams (or how do we call those parts?) where you put the containers on. Maybe two on each side... It would be very cool to find at least a little hint (a name but no design) on such a ship in the canon.

Or maybe they use a design like the "Nostromo" in "Alien 1", a small ship that docks on the huge container...

We do know that larger transports exist, we just never see them ourselves - heavy transports that are the size of carriers are described in some of the Forstchen novels. (Heck, the Tarawa is a heavy transport conversion - and I *think* an even larger one, the size of the Concordia, is described at another point.)

Draymans (Draymen?) are certainly still around in 2669 - we see them all the time in Privateer! I would assume Clydesdales are, too - not much time has passed since they were using them in '67. As for Diligents... well, who knows what their story is?

The transports you mention are all fairly small - they seem to be largely supply or troopships (with various conversions possbile - we see Drayman couriers, hospital ships, etc.)

Drayman & Diligent - 96 meters / 2,000 tonnes
Clydesdale - 73.3 meters / 4,000 tonnes
Clarkson - 160 meters / 2,300 tonnes

... Space Point!

Draymans (Draymen?) are certainly still around in 2669 - we see them all the time in Privateer! I would assume Clydesdales are, too - not much time has passed since they were using them in '67. As for Diligents... well, who knows what their story is?!

Are we sure the military Drayman and the civillian Drayman are the same class, though?

Are we sure the military Drayman and the civillian Drayman are the same class, though?

I believe that's the intent - if you look at the original sketches (in our archive!) they actually use the Wing Commander I design instead of the new one...

I believe that's the intent - if you look at the original sketches (in our archive!) they actually use the Wing Commander I design instead of the new one...

I don't recall there being any real physical differences between military and civilian Draymans - wasn't it more if they were configured as tankers versus regular cargo ships, and so forth?

Back